Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Engine Malfunction Light

10K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  RickMGoldie 
#1 ·
Has anyone else had the problem of this light coming on while driving (it's a small amber light, like an outline of a car engine, flashes on when you start but then goes off, normally). The handbook says 'fault in emissions control system'. Phoned Vauxhall garage (using Bluetooth linked phone via a voice-activated command after finding the garage n the satnav POI, which all worked well!), who seemed unconcerned, saying they'd had it on other Amperas. It comes on, apparently, if the fuel cap or charge door aren't closed properly. They were closed, so they said it will probably go off on its own after a while. If it doesn't, they said, bring it back in so we can reset it, and see if it comes on again.

Any other experiences of this? Couldn't see anything else on the forum, but I might have missed it ...

#28 ·
Go Vauxhall must have fully charged mine before driving it back to me last time and the guy must have been really good at hyper-miling it as there was a healthy amount left (16 miles, I think) and no petrol used, and they are just over 30 miles away. They had had the car for quite a few days so there would have been no excuse to not end up with it charged prior to return. The best bit was they lent me the 2013 demonstrator for the period so none of the ignominy of an ice car rental replacement. I was disappointed the software updates did not give me the new kw gauge like the 2013 model has. I wonder if there is some hardware added to provide that, even though it just looks like it is software.

#29 ·
I'm sure I read somewhere Rick that GM's policy with software updates is only to fix bugs,not introduce new features that later models have, even though as you say, it's almost certainly just software. I've not seen a statement from GM, but owner experience would seem to indicate this is the case..

#31 ·
I've had that too Ray, just the once. Lots of subsequent disconnections before fully charged with no problems though.

#32 ·
I've now got this light for the first time.

It came on immediately after a charging session in Oxford yesterday, where a Chargemaster post would not supply power on its 32A outlet. When plugging in, the normal orange light in the middle of the dash came on so the car was getting the pilot signal, but then didn't go green. I tried 3 times and gave up. The 13A side then worked and I charged the car with the portable EVSE.

I noticed the warning light later as I was pulling out of the car park on electricity. The car seemed to be working and I had to drive to London to go to a friend's party before coming home today, so I pushed on. I switched to hold mode to ensure the ICE was actually working before finding out otherwise on the motorway. As far as I can tell, the car is fine.

I've now just done a full charge but this hasn't cancelled the warning light. Futhermore, I have no vehicle messages. GM/Vauxhall, is it beyond the wit of man to put the fault code or even something in English on this screen when the warning light comes on?

#33 ·
Which Chargemaster post was that? I reported the Westgate post as not working earlier this week, but that was a different fault: it wouldn't even open the charge port door.

I used to get the orange light sometimes before I had my EVSE replaced: I think a dodgy charge can do that. Probably whatever was wrong with the 32A socket upset the car. You may need a couple of charge cycles to clear the light but it should go off of its own accord soon.

#34 ·
This was at Thornhill Park and Ride.

My only concern is maybe this is completely unrelated and I shouldn't be driving it. With no status message and no "Onstar" like connectivity, this might entail another trip to the garage. Except it's Christmas and I have no time to take the car in plus I need it for visiting the family...

#35 ·
Thanks, I'm unlikely to go to Thornhill, but hope they fix it. Mostly I've used Redbridge when I go into Oxford.

If the light goes out of its own accord after a couple of charges I would say you're safe enough until the next time you're taking it in anyway. I believe the light just means an error code was generated.

#39 ·
The handbook says it is indicating poor petrol quality. I don't believe that though as it went away without fresh petrol being added when it happened to me months ago. The other suggestion is misfiring, but my ice had not been in use. Nikki said something about Lamda sensors once, but I think it is not an issue to be worried about if not accompanied by any vehicle messages.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.