Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rarely drive in petrol mode so I'm not totally sure if I'm imagining this.... Since my daylight running lights were fixed by software update I've noticed the engine mapping seems a bit different, it seems the revs are following much closer to the pedal response. I do recall the first letter about the DRL fix also mentioned some inverter changes.. but I don't recall any details of engine changes..

When in petrol mode it seems the car is much more like an ICE in response. I don't seem to be getting the silent pull away followed by a rev up it seems to rev from pushing the pedal....

Is it just my imagination or is anyone else noticed this too?

Maybe its always been like this? just the difference between a small amount of battery reserve and No battery reserve at all?

·
Registered
340 Posts
thats interesting 'cause in petrol mode I really don't like the engine response at all on mine. It is totally asynchronous to the pedal, acceleration and road speed and feels like a fault or slipping clutch but I'm told its normal. I read a vauxhall pdf on here about the drive train where it said it was designed to give a natural ICE feel and response but definitely not my experience.
What is the DRL fix? do I need one (June 2013 Electron)!?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've always been fine with it (after my first drive), but I can understand why you dislike it.. That's why I'm wondering if Vauxhall have done something to 'fix' it. its still not perfect! but it seems much less than it was, - maybe it's too close? (if it's just out of sync it seems worse than it being completely different! - watching tv where the words and pictures don't line up is far worse than watching foreign language dubbed!)
I suspect they may have brought the first cars (mine was a day 1) in-line with the more recent versions, like yours?

DRL = Daylight Running Lights - If you need it, you will have been sent a recall letter. (DRL are a legal issue)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
thats interesting 'cause in petrol mode I really don't like the engine response at all on mine. It is totally asynchronous to the pedal, acceleration and road speed and feels like a fault or slipping clutch but I'm told its normal. I read a vauxhall pdf on here about the drive train where it said it was designed to give a natural ICE feel and response but definitely not my experience.
:) This is one of the wierd things about the Ampera, or any serial hybrid I suppose... the ICE runs at its own speed as it is not connected to the wheels and runs in response to battery condition. It does take a bit of getting used to but I can't say that I am used to it even after 2 years... it still feels a bit strange at times.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm still getting used to it so don't want to make too many pronouncements. I too thought the engine is not connected to the wheels (it simply provides electricity for the electric motor) so the behaviour seems to makes sense. However I have read Vauxhall documents that say that the engine / motor / generator has different modes at least one of which does connect the engine to the wheels through a clutch..?

I could be imagining it, and still getting used to it, but feels to me like I get much less response and power when in petrol engine mode and the revs just do they're own thing...

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know what stands for (!) I wondered what's the issue?
ok, ok, be clearer next time ;)

Fix was: a software update.

Problem was: Under a certain specific set of conditions the car could be driven without the legally mandated daylight running lights. I understand that it was something to do with the automatic light switching, When going from light to dark the Head lights come on and the DRLs go out, when going from dark to light the headlights would go out but the DRL's would not come back on...

Reactions: derekb

·
Registered
340 Posts
aaah thanks for the explanation.

I didn't think DRL's are a requirement - many cars don't have them?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
However I have read Vauxhall documents that say that the engine / motor / generator has different modes at least one of which does connect the engine to the wheels through a clutch..?
This is correct but normally only for higher speed driving like the motorway it cuts out some of the conversion losses by driving direct, so is more efficient
... but feels to me like I get much less response and power when in petrol engine mode and the revs just do they're own thing...
You should get the full 150bhp as long as the battery has its 30% reserve (you'll get the 'Tiff' message if it doesn't - has anyone else beside Tiff Needell seen this yet?), it might just be the sound that makes you think you are not getting it all?

The response issue in petrol mode is more complicated.. when at higher speeds and the ICE is connected, and you floor it, I understand that the car will disconnect the engine clutch before accelerating the drive motor, (you don't want the drive motor torque to feed back onto the engine, potentially stalling it!) this can give a split second delay on response.. but it doesn't happen at lower speeds, only in ICE connected mode.

Its all normal when you know why it's doing it.. but if you don't know it can seem wrong.. I guess I learnt a lot more from the Vauxhall epioneer test days with the engineers than from any dealer!

The car has always worked best in pure EV mode, I prefer to use petrol on the motorway/steady drives and reserve battery for the stop/start (in city) driving.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just for fun the other week when I was in engine mode, I put my foot to the floor whilst going up a steep hill to see what would happen. :eek: It instantly revved up much higher than I have seen/heard it before, the power flow display went up to maximum and the electric motor took over 100kW! :eek::eek::eek:

I only did it for a second and I'm not going to do it again. Worth seeing it once though. ;)

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
aaah thanks for the explanation.

I didn't think DRL's are a requirement - many cars don't have them?
An EU requirement for new cars only. (I cant be certain but I think there is something about they should be LED lights too)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
The delay in acceleration when in petrol mode can be a bit disconcerting and can catch you out if you aren't expecting it.

You can tell if the ICE is connected to the wheels via the power graphic... it doesn't happen very often, if at all, when driving at normal speeds... even at motorway speeds... but put your foot flat down at 70 and you can see that the wheels are driven by both electric motor and ICE through the graphic.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just for fun the other week when I was in engine mode, I put my foot to the floor whilst going up a steep hill to see what would happen. :eek: It instantly revved up much higher than I have seen/heard it before, the power flow display went up to maximum and the electric motor took over 100kW! :eek::eek::eek:

I only did it for a second and I'm not going to do it again. Worth seeing it once though. ;)
Maybe it didn't disconnect? (new feature? or steep hill mode?) it would need the engine to match the power from the motor to prevent stalling..

·
Registered
340 Posts
The car has always worked best in pure EV mode, I prefer to use petrol on the motorway/steady drives and reserve battery for the stop/start (in city) driving.
Yes I do that - unless completely out of battery. I did read a Which review posted here the other day (under that discussion about mpg and mpge etc.) that said the petrol engine was at its most efficient for urban driving not motorway which was not what I expected. Is there any official word on petrol-only consumption under different driving profiles that you know of?

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
I had the software update and I also thought it ran a bit smoother at low speed in petrol mode afterwards. It's one of my least favourite elements of the Ampera - the rather unruly revving at low speed in generator mode. Fortunately I very rarely have to experience it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts