Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am considering changing the engine of my van, and make it electric (I can't afford a Tesla or other expensive cars on the market). Did any of you had experience in this ? Any company you would recommend who could do such job ? Price range ?
Are we just talking about swapping the engine or is it more complex than that (impact on the car structure due to the weight of the batteries) ?

Best,
Tony (and no, Carrera is not my real name :))

·
Registered
681 Posts
take a look at the vintage voltage seies probably on cable or u tube, in the UK we can do this under SVA regulations, i don't think its' allowed in the EU and yes it's more complicated than simply adding a motor a controller and a few batteries, then you have the problems of Insurance which will be very costly for a one off conversion. you'd be better off by an existing electric van and upgrading the battery to meet your needs.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,691 Posts
take a look at the vintage voltage seies probably on cable or u tube, in the UK we can do this under SVA regulations, i don't think its' allowed in the EU and yes it's more complicated than simply adding a motor a controller and a few batteries, then you have the problems of Insurance which will be very costly for a one off conversion. you'd be better off by an existing electric van and upgrading the battery to meet your needs.
Plus suspension and brake upgrades.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In Europe, it is allowed for some cars/ brands, one of the issue being the "car homologation" - you are actually changing the engine of your car. I saw it even happening for buses. Maybe at the end of the day, it might get cheaper to swap to a new EV van, but let's say I'd like to check this out first.
  • Insurance wise, good point, I should check that out
  • suspension upgrades +1
  • brake upgrades +1
  • ... ?
Anything related to the relative explosive matter of lithium batteries ? Any additional protection to add ?

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
1,066 Posts
It will almost certainly be cheaper and better to sell your van and buy one of the many electric ones coming to market. You’ll have much better resale value too. Swapping a combustion engine for electric is extremely complex - particularly as a one off. I’ve been looking at getting my MX-5 converted, and it’s £20k+ for circa 100 miles of range and less power than I have now.

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
In Europe, it is allowed for some cars/ brands, one of the issue being the "car homologation" - you are actually changing the engine of your car. I saw it even happening for buses. Maybe at the end of the day, it might get cheaper to swap to a new EV van, but let's say I'd like to check this out first.
  • Insurance wise, good point, I should check that out
  • suspension upgrades +1
  • brake upgrades +1
  • ... ?
Anything related to the relative explosive matter of lithium batteries ? Any additional protection to add ?
Lithium batteries don't tend to explode, they burn. A bit like petrol or diesel.

Check out diyelectriccar.com for people doing conversions. It's eye opening (not in a good way)

Reactions: Tony Carrera

·
Registered
388 Posts
If you live in the real world and haven't just won the Euromillions lottery, forget it. Buy a ready-made van if you must, like a Nissan eNV200.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts