Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I leant the car to a guy at work today and it’s come back with the orange engine warning light lit. Everything seems to operate normally and there’s nothing showing up in ‘vehicle messages’. Turning the car on and off obviously made no difference.

does anyone know how to solve either what the issue might be or to get rid of the light ?

cheers

paul

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,604 Posts
If you can't read the codes I would try giving it is full charge or two and the light could well go away. Maybe he has pressed the charge port button on the door but it hasn't opened/opened cleanly so it would throw up the error.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Don't worry as this is a "feature" installed by GM to increase Stealership profits. They could have simply flagged a message instead.

Almost certainly caused because you have used the button in the car to open the charge flap and it stuck first time. I used a little bit of sponge rubber stuck near the hinge point of the flap to overcome this.
Using the fob button doesn't flag an alarm if it sticks.

If this was the reason for the amber warning then it will reset after a couple of ignition on/off cycles anyway.

Ideally you should get an OBD2 adapter from Ebay for a couple of quid and download an OBD2 reader on to your moby. I used Torque Lite. Its free and you can view the fault code and reset the damned light.

Google will usually give an answer to a fault code.

Reactions: grazie

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You sir.... are a genius ! I popped the petrol cap, then tried the charge port and it was stuck, gave it a tap, opened and closed it a few times, now the error is gone.

thanks for your help :)

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I've found that it's helpful to develop a Zen-like approach to this wonderfully complex and engaging vehicle. As with the Hitchhiker's Guide, the first thing is 'Don't panic'. Then carry on what you normally do and it will generally sort itself out. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good afternoon All,
My Volt does exactly the same. If I press the door mounted "Charge Flap Release" button and the door does not release first time.
It had me worried at first, but now I know - Zen like as Spindrift says - to just ignore it and it goes away after another few start stop or charge cycles.
I too have a small piece of foam draft excluder bonded near to the hinge, to give the charge flap a little help in opening.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I've found that it's helpful to develop a Zen-like approach to this wonderfully complex and engaging vehicle. As with the Hitchhiker's Guide, the first thing is 'Don't panic'.
Mine has thrown its first ever engine warning light this Saturday when the charger (zappi) did not work correctly using the car timer. Error light has gone today (Monday).
I think it was caused by a poor connection in the type one socket, the plug has been getting a bit more difficult to use recently so I decided to have a look, A bamboo skewer removed a small seed from the socket preventing it going fully home! My guess is this caused the CP line to be intermittent.
As mentioned, Don't panic! Count to 42 and all will be well.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
First ever? How often do you use it ??? :)

Reactions: Spiny

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
First ever? How often do you use it ??? :)
Had it nearly 6 years now (March 2015) , charged everyday (34 mile commute) until I retired a couple of years back then most days until this year, in this lockdown using it very little, walking to nearest supermarket mainly, only topping it up weekly.
One thing though I changed the 12v battery about 3 years back and I'm shortly to put another one in, insurance really ;)

It's never thrown a engine warning light before.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Are they any other solutions other than a bit of foam near the charge door hinge to help prevent it from sticking? Mine only sticks over the winter months, so maybe a bit of lube somewhere would help?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,604 Posts
Silicon grease (GT85 is good) on a cloth and wiped around the rubber seal and a quick spray on the pin and the hole that it slides through to lock the flap.

Or this stuff too, I couldn't remember the name when I put in the GT85 silicon spray.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Or simply don't use the door release button for the charge flap. Instead use the button on the key fob while standing next to the flap, gently lifting the flap with a fingernail.

The bonus with this method is that the keyfob will never trigger the error light if the flap fails to open.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
... and if you don't have fingernails (I'm an inveterate chewer), simply attach a small flap of electrical insulation tape to the right hand edge of the door, sticking out 1 cm. Choose a colour close to the car's own, and you'll never notice it! So then you just hold the flap, press gently to remove any load on that fragile plastic pin. press keyfob & pull the flap as the pin clicks. Simples!

Reactions: grazie

·
Registered
3 Posts
I leant the car to a guy at work today and it’s come back with the orange engine warning light lit. Everything seems to operate normally and there’s nothing showing up in ‘vehicle messages’. Turning the car on and off obviously made no difference.

does anyone know how to solve either what the issue might be or to get rid of the light ?

cheers

paul

Yes and now the illuminated orange Engine Warning Light has appeared for the first time on my 2014 Ampera. Coincidentally at 30,002 miles? Nothing out of the ordinary happened beforehand. The only thing is that the car was left ungaraged (as always) and undriven for a week on full (home ) charge and possibly the 6 year old 12v battery is coming to the end of its life. I shall keep an eye on it and report back the circumstances when/if it extinguishes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts