Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a couple of occasions now, the engine warning light has come on. The first time it happened, it stayed on even after I'd turned off a few times...but the next day it was gone. That was a fortnight ago. It's back again today.

The car has only done 3,200 miles and only about 400 of those on the ICE.

I suspect it's just a bug; I once had the tyre pressure warning symbol come on even though they were fine. That was after my very first charge on an ecoctricity charger. That disappeared after a restart, so I just put it down to a glitch.

As I'm 40 miles from the dealer, I don't want to be wasting my time with a journey if it's not necessary.

Anyone suffered the same or got any advice before I ring Vauxhall?

Thanks

·
Registered
279 Posts
Mine occasionally appears apparently randomly but then goes away at the next full charge cycle. I was planning to raise it at service time, but not to make a special trip.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @Nick - I may just call them anyway. Whereabouts in the country are you based?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They told me just to monitor it and if it keeps happening or stays on, to bring it in :(. Not convenient when I have no holidays remaining.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
@Brooktop do you have an OBDii fault code reader?
The most common ampera fault seems to be battery/charger system fluid level, do you have any service messages displayed? I have just got my car back from Leicster last week for a fluids top up..

They should collect the car from you for warranty work, and myampera will provide a loan car if the dealer has no courtesy cars available.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have one of those; can I borrow yours? ;) Not that I'd know what to do with it. If it continues then, I will ask if they will pick it up and drop off a loan car.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Yeah sure..
will message you.

·
My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
Polestar 2
386 Posts
I use VagCom (VCDS) which reads ODB2 messages.. In the office I have all kinds of pukka stuff like Canalyser. I'm based in Essex if that helps?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I'd love an ODB2 fault code reader - my OVMS doesn't do that. Do you know what does - I want one now!...
I have a £14 bluetooth dongle from ebay and the Torque mobile app.. simple and effective.
(and torque does onscreen data overlays for video too)

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I think the most common engine fault light is triggered by a charging issue. I had it myself early on, and it cleared itself after a complete charge or 2.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had this just after I had the car this time last year. After squirting silicon lubricant (from Halfords) around the circular rubber cup inside the charge door and a little on the release pin, the problem went away and has not recurred.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I must say, since the cold wet weather the charge door doesn't open to 90 degrees. It just releases and I open it with my finger. Why would the charge flap have anything to do with the ICE warning light?

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,204 Posts
Apparently, the most common occurrence of the engine management light coming on is the pressurised fuel tank cap. As I understand it, because of the fuel maintenance mode (to prevent stale fuel) the tank is pressurised. If the cap is not fitted correctly this can cause the light to come on.

I had a regular appearance/disappearance of my engine light after I had had the car a couple of months. It then stayed on permanently for about a week. I took it in to the dealer who diagnosed a faulty heater bypass!! Nothing to do with the fuel cap at all.

If it keeps happening, get it checked.

HTH
Derek

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That does seem more likely. I'm only a simple (but logical) guy so was struggling to see how a charge flap issue would affect the petrol engine.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
However....... just been out in it. Light was still on. With car off, I opened the petrol door and cap...started up...light still on :(

So I shut down and opened the charge flap door. Started up....and light has gone out :confused:

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Super Moderator
5,938 Posts
The engine warning light is a warning light for many occasions and not necessarily anything directly to do with the ICE. I have found that it will come on if you have a charge problem and will go away after a few full charges. If its still on after that I would speak to the garage

1 - 20 of 79 Posts