Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here's a useful review from a UK Perspective, I won't spoil the punch line.
UK Test of Enhanced Autopilot update
I'm not sure that this video is correct. My M3 slows down without EAP when it is in Autopilot and Auto steer mode when the speed limit changes from 40 to 30 (ie slower) but doesn't speed up if you go from 30 to 40 but then that might be a safety feature? Re parking in his driveway, the auto park instructions say it won't work next to a wall (only between other cars) so it did well. I'll test it all out and report back on the other stuff. I have 48 hours to decide or request a refund

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Yes, there’s a lot of poorly informed Youtubers out there. The difference between AP tiers is exactly as listed on the Tesla site.

Even “Tesla Driver” made some errors, but I’m fairly convinced half of that was for clicks anyway.

European EAP/NoAP/FSD has kind of stagnated the last year or so (I’m not even sure the maps used by NoAP have been updated?), as efforts seem to be focused on getting to fully-functioning FSD in the US before they extend it worldwide.

An easy way to think of the different AP types is as follows:
  • If it involves crossing a lane line or parking, it’s EAP.
  • If it involves stopping at a red light, it’s FSD.
  • Everything else is AP.

Reactions: paulsinger

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's a joke how expensive this "upgrade" is. FSD (when it works) I can see as a genuine upgrade worth a chunk of cash, but EAP brings nothing to the table for £3400! You can now, maybe sometimes, change lanes without turning the wheel if the circumstances are prefect. And you can park between two cars that are perfectly parked just so. I test drove a car with FSD and really couldn't see the value. Unless you do millions of motorway miles it's just not worth the money in the UK. Oh and summon, well, possibly the biggest joke "feature" on a car I've ever seen.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess that's why they give you 48 hours to try it or get a refund? I've not tried it yet as it only updated last night. Watch this space...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not really true.

I've used EAP for the past 4 years and it's certainly better value than FSD in Europe at the moment.

NOA is fine when used on clear roads.
But by that logic if the road is clear you don't need EAP, you just need AP, which is great.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
My Model S rental had EAP. My grandmother changes lanes better. But then, this was mid-2019 shortly after lane change had been nerfed by those UNECE regs

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Worth £3400?
OK, so, I've now had a few hours to test EAP and here are my initial thoughts:

1. Summon - works fine and could be useful if you need to get the car into a tight home garage when there isn't room to open the door, or someone parks so close to your car in a car park that you or your passenger can't open the door to get in, or there is a giant puddle in a car park, by the door, after it has rained.

2. Smart Summon (I wasn't sure if this was even included with EAP in the UK but it is) - works fine. I think it was easier to use if you change outline maps for satellite view so you can see the real view of the ground/terrain before dropping the location pin and starting the summon.

3. Auto Lane Change (Overtaking on Auto) - works as advertised. If the car in front of you is slower and your speed is set higher, the car prompts you to change lanes, showing you the destination lane, but does nothing until you confirm the suggestion by using the indicator in the direction of the lane you want to overtake. It does it smoothly and safely but doesn't pull back into your original lane automatically afterwards.

4. Parking - both parallel and perpendicular parking work fine. Quite slow (but I prefer that to Pro-Pilot Park on my 40kW 2019 Nissan Leaf which used to reverse into a space like Lewis Hamilton usually causing me to abort the parking out of fear!). It won't park unless there are parked cars on both sides of the space - but I guess we shouldn't need auto-park if the car park is empty.

5. Navigate on Autopilot - firstly, don't be expecting this to work in towns or villages (I assume that will be part of FSD in the UK eventually) - it only works on A roads or above. Sometimes it indicates and slows down to take the exit, but other times, when there are "options" it will ask you to confirm the exit suggestion by pressing the indicator in that direction before it makes the move. It works fine but you need to keep an eye on the screen before and after it makes the move as once it has made the exit and come off the A road or Motorway, it will start to count down before ending the Auto Navigation when it reaches a minor road, at which point the car slows down and you have to take over. You get warnings at 600, 400 and 200 yards before the auto navigation ends.

Like all the Tesla features (e.g. adaptive cruise and auto steer) you still have to pay attention and keep your hands on the wheel. It's a bit like supervising a learner to begin with until you get to trust the car. You have to be ready to take control but on major roads it seemed to behave fine. I wouldn't use it in town (even if it was available) because there are just too many potential hazards like bikes, pedestrians, roadworks and parked cars.

Overall, I think it's worth £3,400 even though I won't use all the features all of the time - but when lockdown is over, I can see NOA being very useful for long trips, especially abroad when you aren't familiar with the roads, road layouts and language etc.

So I'll be keeping it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just give me the option to subscribe to FSD for one month a year, that's all I want. Call it £100.
Dream on! I'm sure it Tesla ever do introduce monthly subscriptions for FSD, it will tie you into a contract for a minimum term. Otherwise, people will do just that - buy it for a month then cancel. It'll probably be like a phone contract.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Will summon remember a particular parking spot and go there when requested? I am thinking of where my home charger is.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Dream on! I'm sure it Tesla ever do introduce monthly subscriptions for FSD, it will tie you into a contract for a minimum term. Otherwise, people will do just that - buy it for a month then cancel. It'll probably be like a phone contract.
It's already been hinted at before by Elon himself I think. If it's a tie in, not interested. I only need it once a year for our long drive to the alps and back.
So, back to where I started. I'd like a monthly subscription at around £100 a month.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts