Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my M3 for a week or so and as it was a company car opted for the Enhanced Autopilot option. Yes its clever but I must be missing something as moving lane is OK but certainly not a wow. The cruise option seems more than adequate. I was expecting lane changes t b automated in some way but as of yet I just rock up behind slower vehicles. The options mentioned on-line for auto lane change are simply not available. Fun but not sure I would have spent the money if it was my own car??

·
Registered
17,453 Posts
You want Navigate on Autopliot, which is part of the Full Self Drive option.

There is no option for enhanced Autopilot anymore.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps the terminology has changed from the order being placed (nearly 6 months ago), I have set Navigate on Autopilot and the car does not anticipate lane changes when travelling faster than other vehicles but will change lane if I indicate with the turn signal which while clever is hardly earth shattering.

·
Registered
17,453 Posts
Perhaps the terminology has changed from the order being placed (nearly 6 months ago), I have set Navigate on Autopilot and the car does not anticipate lane changes when travelling faster than other vehicles but will change lane if I indicate with the turn signal which while clever is hardly earth shattering.
That’s what it does in the EU. It’s due to local legislation.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Perhaps the terminology has changed from the order being placed (nearly 6 months ago),
You have "Full Self Driving" which is an advance payment for full self driving that Tesla cannot give and end date too.

Basically you are paying less than the full cost, but you are paying early for some of the full features now.

If you play video games think of it as "alpha/beta access" or "early access"

In addition legislation needs to happen on level 5 autonomy driving, as at present the tech/software isn't there yet but safety rules need to be applied before Telsa can turn it on, even if they had the tech/software fully ready.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sounds like you've researched poorly, mon frere as what you've described is well documented as the current as-is of Full Self Driving in the UK and is why very few part with the cash.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You should still be able to change lane by using the indicator? I thought the system even promoted you? I don't have FSD so can't comment on the later part but my understanding the only different between the US and the UK was in the UK you had to manually trigger it.

Sadly as a company car that will be going back at some point, the benefit you will have from FSD is pretty limited - auto parking which is pretty poor, summon which is pretty poor and lane change on indicator which is useful is more or less your lot.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have FSD and if you’ve got it on ‘Navigate on Autopilot’ you’ll see a single blue line on the display (middle of the lane you’re driving in) If it’s a blue line either side of the car, you’re just on autopilot.

Now, NOA isn’t without it’s faults. It’s very temperamental on when it will suggest lane changes for you, and that’s all it does by the way, tells you it wants to change lanes to over take faster traffic, move out of a lane, avoid construction, and for following a route you’ve set in, but you still have to tap the indicator stalk down once, and keep your hands on the wheel.

Sometimes it’s great at judging traffic and overtaking slower cars and sometimes it’s just not interested and is quite happy for you to sit behind a lorry doing 50mph at 4 in the morning with virtually nothing else on the road 🙄

As has been mentioned, you can manually tell it to lane change, by pushing the indicator stalk down all the way (past the initial resistance) and then hold the wheel and it will do it.

Also worth noting that’s it’s only for motorways and some major A roads.
If it’s on a section of road during your journey it can’t use NOA it’ll go back to the two blue lines and you won’t be able to change lane unless it activates again, or you disengage and manually drive.

·
Registered
733 Posts
When FSD and NOA can drive me from my door step to any destination on its own, I’ll probably consider it. :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
FSD is basically a waste of money as it stands. But if you don’t have it then changing lanes on a motorway with standard (crippled) AP is a painful bing-bong-bong-bing fest!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts