Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my 2020 4 E Niro a few weeks ago after waiting 12 months for delivery. Generally very pleased with the car but I've run into a couple of things that I'd like to ask other owners about.

1. I cant remember this being the case for the first two weeks of owning the car but now the power steering in Eco Mode is very heavy. Even my arms ache after driving it along country roads for an hour. My partner who is a small lady really struggles with the steering wheel force required regardless of speed etc. I understand that moving it on to Sport Mode stiffens the steering up but I dont have any need/requirement to use modes other than Eco. I can find no way of changing the feel of the steering in the numerous owner changeable options. Any advice on this would be helpful.

2. Did anyone who has a 2020 4 model receive a detailed printed Infotainment/Navigation Manual. The only one I received was the "GEN5W Standard Class Navigation Simple Manual", which basically is useless. I know you can scan the QR Code on the car display which takes you to a website with detailed Instructions but you cant load it onto the car itself, only Phone/iPad etc.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Are you sure that there's not a fault? Ask to try it back to back against the stealers one. Also consider raising the tyre pressures.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Try switching off the lane keep assist, I find on country roads that I'm fighting against it to keep out of the potholes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I will try turning off the lane assist first as this sounds like it could be the cause of what Im experiencing and I do currently have lane assist on. This was great on the motorway though! If its still not right I will do as dk6780 suggests and get back to the dealer about it.

The car also displays slight camber induced steering pull particulary to the left but does track straight when there is no road camber. Haven't had a car of any make suffer with this in 20+ years. If it wasnt for the fact its brand new I'd say it's likely a tracking issue.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Picked up my 2020 4 E Niro a few weeks ago after waiting 12 months for delivery. Generally very pleased with the car but I've run into a couple of things that I'd like to ask other owners about.

1. I cant remember this being the case for the first two weeks of owning the car but now the power steering in Eco Mode is very heavy. Even my arms ache after driving it along country roads for an hour. My partner who is a small lady really struggles with the steering wheel force required regardless of speed etc. I understand that moving it on to Sport Mode stiffens the steering up but I dont have any need/requirement to use modes other than Eco. I can find no way of changing the feel of the steering in the numerous owner changeable options. Any advice on this would be helpful.

2. Did anyone who has a 2020 4 model receive a detailed printed Infotainment/Navigation Manual. The only one I received was the "GEN5W Standard Class Navigation Simple Manual", which basically is useless. I know you can scan the QR Code on the car display which takes you to a website with detailed Instructions but you cant load it onto the car itself, only Phone/iPad etc.

Thanks.
Sounds like you're fighting the LKA -- turn it off; it's a pain in the ..... Incidentally, LKA does not need to be on for LFA to work in conjunction with SCC. If it's not that, there's something gone wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: Electronic Power Steering (EPS) Issue

Turned off the LKA via User Settings/Driver Assistance and also by using the LKA Button to the right of the steering wheel, ie, every way I could find to turn off LKA. Here's what happened.

- Made no difference to the heavy feel of the steering at various speeds

- LKA turns itself back on again each and every time you power down/start the car. (Same behaviour as Auto Hold). This happens even if you elect to use the LKA Warning Sound rather than ticking the LKA option.

The manual talks about:
"It is possible to set the driving condition for each drive mode (except the ECO+ mode) at the drive mode setting in the Audio and multi media system. For more information, refer to the separately supplied manual". I didnt get a manual for the Audio and Multi Media System" (Did anyone?) and I doubt that said conditions would include altering the EPS Feel/Profile

So looks like its back to the dealer for them to try and sort it out. Even I'm, never mind the wife, prefering to drive our VW T6 Campervan to this car as its currently a better driving experience that doesnt make your arms ache even after short journeys! I cant help but feel somewhat jealous of all the new owners of their e-niro 4 car that obviously are enjoying ownership of it 100%.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The manual talks about:
"It is possible to set the driving condition for each drive mode (except the ECO+ mode) at the drive mode setting in the Audio and multi media system. For more information, refer to the separately supplied manual". I didnt get a manual for the Audio and Multi Media System" (Did anyone?) and I doubt that said conditions would include altering the EPS Feel/Profile
In the case of my "4" the manual was "supplied" by giving a reference to the manual on the internet. found by scanning a QR code.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Peterca.
I knew about the QR Code on the screen that takes you to the electronic web version of the manual for the "Audio and Multi Media System". However, this web manual can not be downloaded onto the car itself for viewing, ie its only viewable on phone/ipad/PC etc. As to why KIA doesn't provide a printed manual for what is one of the most important aspects of the car like they do for everything else is a mystery to me? I have though looked at the web manual but been unable to find an answer to my problem. I may of missed something though? Thank you anyway for your help..

·
Registered
146 Posts
- LKA turns itself back on again each and every time you power down/start the car. (Same behaviour as Auto Hold). This happens even if you elect to use the LKA Warning Sound rather than ticking the LKA option.
Yep, for some reason Kia/Hyundai don't want to remember some user settings. First thing I do when hopping in the car is enable Auto Hold and Cruise Control. So far I quite like LKA so keep it on, but it probably depends what roads you drive on as to how useful/annoying it is.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I suspect not supplying a manual version of the infotainment manual is probably because it would be out of date before a car is delivered or very soon after due to software updates. Easier to maintain it online. Interesting to see if anyone has the infotainment update whether it is the same as the original, location or content?
I am not an engineer but in my mind the LKA, lane keep assist, wouldn't have any bearing of the heaviness of the steering setting. I would have thought that would be mapped to the drive modes. Am am not aware of any user settings for adjusting it. A trip to the dealer is probably best.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I suspect not supplying a manual version of the infotainment manual is probably because it would be out of date before a car is delivered or very soon after due to software updates. Easier to maintain it online. Interesting to see if anyone has the infotainment update whether it is the same as the original, location or content?
I am not an engineer but in my mind the LKA, lane keep assist, wouldn't have any bearing of the heaviness of the steering setting. I would have thought that would be mapped to the drive modes. Am am not aware of any user settings for adjusting it. A trip to the dealer is probably best.
May be useful for the infotainment unit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep, for some reason Kia/Hyundai don't want to remember some user settings. First thing I do when hopping in the car is enable Auto Hold and Cruise Control. So far I quite like LKA so keep it on, but it probably depends what roads you drive on as to how useful/annoying it is.
I believe this is something to do with EURO NCAP - in order to get a top score, it has to turn on LKAS every time

1 - 13 of 13 Posts