Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, just bought two new electric bikes which we are hoping to transport on our holidays with our eniro. Can anybody advise what is the best option?
Also is there difficulty attaching to the car? weight of combined bikes would be under 50kgs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I get 3 bikes (not electric) on my e-Niro roof bars with no problem (total weight approx. 40kg). I know some owners have fitted towbars to carry bikes (see FB Kia niro EV owners club), but as it’s not rated for carrying anything on a tow bar you would need to check your insurance covered it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The best/easiest way would be a towbar carrier. Roof bars, bikes to heavy, unless light weight e bikes, rear mount, bikes to heavy, back seat down in car, to messy.

So opens up the old can an e niro that is not rated for towing, be fitted with a towbar for a cycle carrier. Quite a few threads and opinions if you search.

My experience is, its what you are happy to do and risk. I have a e bike so had to find a way to carry it. Its to heavy for roof as most roof carrier are max 20kg, also heavy to lift on/off. I have fitted a brink towbar that is cycle carrier only, will not allow towing and got a atero m3 bike carrier, note not all carriers will fit the towbar, brink have a list.

Some insurance companys have been problamatic, so check first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The best/easiest way would be a towbar carrier. Roof bars, bikes to heavy, unless light weight e bikes, rear mount, bikes to heavy, back seat down in car, to messy.

So opens up the old can an e niro that is not rated for towing, be fitted with a towbar for a cycle carrier. Quite a few threads and opinions if you search.

My experience is, its what you are happy to do and risk. I have a e bike so had to find a way to carry it. Its to heavy for roof as most roof carrier are max 20kg, also heavy to lift on/off. I have fitted a brink towbar that is cycle carrier only, will not allow towing and got a atero m3 bike carrier, note not all carriers will fit the towbar, brink have a list.

Some insurance companys have been problamatic, so check first.
That's interesting re tower, thanks for your response.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I get 3 bikes (not electric) on my e-Niro roof bars with no problem (total weight approx. 40kg). I know some owners have fitted towbars to carry bikes (see FB Kia niro EV owners club), but as it’s not rated for carrying anything on a tow bar you would need to check your insurance covered it.
Thanks for the info, think they are too heavy to lift onto the roof on a regular basis!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Mines a fe model. If you go to the brink website you can put your reg in and it will tell you which towbars will fit. Be cautious, I entered reg and it gave a false result. You are better manually entering details from drop down boxes, as when you do, a tick box pops up where it asks you, if its a e niro varient, this needs ticking or you will get false results. I think it will be the brink model 663200.

Please be sure you happy to go with a towbar, its really untested waters, unsure what Kia or your insurances stance will be, if a problem or claim occurs. ???

I am happy to take the risk, as really its the only sensible option to transport an e bike.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Hi there, just bought two new electric bikes which we are hoping to transport on our holidays with our eniro. Can anybody advise what is the best option?
Yes.
Leave the e-niro at home and make your holiday a cycling one.
Used frugally, instead of on constant turbo-boost you'll be surprised how far you can travel on an e-bike over the course of a day. Charge it up again overnight, then repeat.
Simple.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts