Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
After much reading and much debating I’ve taken the plunge and bought a 2nd hand eNiro FE! Coming from a (very) old diesel it’s quite a change but enjoying it.
I noticed a whirring noise when on the test ride but thought it was from the dealer number plate straps. On the drive home from Leicester to Bristol I noticed it a lot more as I sat at 70mph. It became quite draining and I could hear it over my music which was reasonably loud. It’s something to do with the motor as the noise is only there when power is going to the motor. With further driving I’ve noticed it only really starts >35mph, but it doesn’t really change with the car speed, perhaps only getting a bit louder. I don’t think the frequency changes with speed either.
I test drove a 4+ a week ago and didn’t hear this noise, it was much quieter. I believe the powertrain is the same between the FE and even the latest 4+ so wouldn’t expect such a noise.
I know this is almost asking the impossible as no one can hear it, but for more experienced Niro owners, does this feel right? Are there any settings which make the car nosier?
I’ll flag this with Leicester but hoping Bristol will look into it and not charge me!

·
Registered
Kia E-niro 4+
121 Posts
Can you get a recording?

It's not the VESS is it? Our 4+ 'sings' to us (the rare occasion where we forget to turn it off!)

When accelerating hard, or going fast, the motor and drive train does make a sort of whirring sound. I would describe it as being quite sci-fi! The only other sound I notice from my 4+ is when I forget to pop my mirrors back out after a particularly narrow bridge near us. Oh, and the kids seats/belts rattling when they are empty. Otherwise, I was surprised at how quite it is. I thought that moving from German cars, I would find the Kia quite loud - but no.

I am sensitive to driving sounds - and I think the lack of engine noise does have the effect of amplifying my perception of other noises.

·
Registered
Kia Eniro 4+
359 Posts
Hi folks,
After much reading and much debating I’ve taken the plunge and bought a 2nd hand eNiro FE! Coming from a (very) old diesel it’s quite a change but enjoying it.
I noticed a whirring noise when on the test ride but thought it was from the dealer number plate straps. On the drive home from Leicester to Bristol I noticed it a lot more as I sat at 70mph. It became quite draining and I could hear it over my music which was reasonably loud. It’s something to do with the motor as the noise is only there when power is going to the motor. With further driving I’ve noticed it only really starts >35mph, but it doesn’t really change with the car speed, perhaps only getting a bit louder. I don’t think the frequency changes with speed either.
I test drove a 4+ a week ago and didn’t hear this noise, it was much quieter. I believe the powertrain is the same between the FE and even the latest 4+ so wouldn’t expect such a noise.
I know this is almost asking the impossible as no one can hear it, but for more experienced Niro owners, does this feel right? Are there any settings which make the car nosier?
I’ll flag this with Leicester but hoping Bristol will look into it and not charge me!
There was a problem with some first edition cars in that the motor needed replacing. Do a search on this site you may be able to contact someone who had it sorted. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the speedy replies :)

I’ll see if I can get a recording, that might help the garage as well.
I should have mentioned that I believe I can hear the motor which is a higher pitched sound and it’s frequency changes with the road speed (as expected). This whirring noise is a lower pitch.
I haven’t played with the VESS, I’ll have a go later. No idea how to control the wing mirrors, but they have been out as expected and rear seat belts are unbuckled.

There was a problem with some first edition cars in that the motor needed replacing. Do a search on this site you may be able to contact someone who had it sorted. Good luck.
I’ve found a (very!) long thread about clicking noises but that was on regen, was that one you were thinking of? I couldn’t find much else.

·
Registered
Kia Eniro 4+
359 Posts
Thanks for the speedy replies :)

I’ll see if I can get a recording, that might help the garage as well.
I should have mentioned that I believe I can hear the motor which is a higher pitched sound and it’s frequency changes with the road speed (as expected). This whirring noise is a lower pitch.
I haven’t played with the VESS, I’ll have a go later. No idea how to control the wing mirrors, but they have been out as expected and rear seat belts are unbuckled.

I’ve found a (very!) long thread about clicking noises but that was on regen, was that one you were thinking of? I couldn’t find much else.
Yes that was the one. Braking/regen noise
Replacing motor/gearbox was the cure. I followed it long before I actually got mine.
Page 3 post #47 is a recording of the noise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi folks,
I am a first edition owner of two years, 12000 miles. My car is making an annoying noise heard mostly between 30-60+ sounds like a washing machine doing a spin cycle. It is most noticeable on smooth surfaced roads, easily heard above the sound of music playing. Have told my dealer and sent them a sound clip. Car is due it’s second service this Friday so agreed to leave the car with them. They think probably a motor issue, been another similar case recently.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am a first edition owner of two years, 12000 miles. My car is making an annoying noise heard mostly between 30-60+ sounds like a washing machine doing a spin cycle. It is most noticeable on smooth surfaced roads, easily heard above the sound of music playing. Have told my dealer and sent them a sound clip. Car is due it’s second service this Friday so agreed to leave the car with them. They think probably a motor issue, been another similar case recently.
might be worthwhile asking them to check the motor model no: your car has.
FE’s had 701. To my understanding many who had their motors replaced by 711 have written that the replacement solved the noise issues.
MY21 has 712.

Thus, if you have 701, I wouldn’t disagree if they suggested replacing it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is it like a moped/helicopter noise? Do you also hear a tapping noise at slower speeds (<10 mph)? My 2019 Niro EV developed the moped like noise first and then the tapping noise maybe two weeks later. It was fixed with a replacement motor E712.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,067 Posts
Where we live the mopeds sound distinctly different to helicopters :ROFLMAO: 😊

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is it like a moped/helicopter noise? Do you also hear a tapping noise at slower speeds (<10 mph)? My 2019 Niro EV developed the moped like noise first and then the tapping noise maybe two weeks later. It was fixed with a replacement motor E712.
I notoiced the moped noise first, but it does indeed have the helicopter type tapping noise at low speed.

might be worthwhile asking them to check the motor model no: your car has.
FE’s had 701. To my understanding many who had their motors replaced by 711 have written that the replacement solved the noise issues.
MY21 has 712.

Thus, if you have 701, I wouldn’t disagree if they suggested replacing it.
I read about that in the other thread. I shall ask them to check the motor number.

I took the car to Bristol Kia with a recording of the noise. Their master mechanic said they had seen this before and fixed the issue with a replacement gearbox. They couldn't get in until the end of August and advised not to drive the car (not great when we picked it up on Saturday!). Luckly Bath can get us in tomorrow, so fingers crossed they know what to do! I'm about to write them a explanation of what I know and what Bristol have told me, hopefully this will shortcut some messing about.

Wish me luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts