Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Can anyone help as the garage say it’s me at fault….
I have a 70 plate Eniro, I am having issues with charging disrupted despite it being on charge when I leave it, sometime for long periods.
Today it would not take a rapid charge at Genie, and so had to slow charge for 20 plus mins, then try again..
It is becoming really frustrating as EMG have not been helpful at all.
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think we might need a bit more information.
Hi,
I put the car in the home charger, checked it was charging and again 20 mins later. Only to find in the morning it had stopped charging, with a warning note on the dash saying charging disrupted.
then had a few good charges.
However I am constantly having issues, with using all different chargers, BP, Genie etc. Starts to charge then after a period it has an issue.
Today it would not charge at all, started the charge, car made a clicking sound, all lights came on to show charger, then went straight off.
Spoke to EMG, they said I can only charge occasional on the fast charge, I am not plugging it in, I am not connecting with the apps. Etc. all these things I am doing what is required.
They are being difficult at the garage and don’t seem to want to help.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,878 Posts
Sounds like charge timer is set - have you checked the settings?

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,339 Posts
As this appears to happen at multiple chargers and using Rapid or Fast units then I would tend to think that the car has a fault that needs to be taken seriously by the vendor garage. Sometimes issues like this can be caused by timer settings but as multiple charges on multiple chargers start and run for some time before aborting I don't think this is the cause.

Ask to speak to the EMG main manager rather than either the sales or service manager and make it clear that this needs investigation followed by repairs under warranty as appropriate as having such an intermittent fault is unacceptable. Mention to him that his staff have tried to fob you off with ridiculous remarks such as - Quote - " can only charge occasional on the fast charge, I am not plugging it in, I am not connecting with the apps ". Tell him that such remarks are unprofessional and patronising as well as being inaccurate and that you expect better from such an organisation.

Then, if he fails to respond it may need a letter to their head office I'm afraid.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,065 Posts
Sorry to hear about this.
Has it only just started behaving this way? Has it ever worked ok for you? What type of home charger do you have? What is the SOC before/after the failed attempts?
It's very hard to know what is going on from your description. Something seems to be not right.
Did the car screen message actually say “charge disrupted”? That’s a new one on me. Can you take a photo of the message(s)?
Did the garage actually test the car charging for you?
Perhaps if you give an approximate location (don’t be too specific) someone on here might be able to come and help? Peter

·
Registered
611 Posts
Hi,
I put the car in the home charger, checked it was charging and again 20 mins later. Only to find in the morning it had stopped charging, with a warning note on the dash saying charging disrupted.
then had a few good charges.
However I am constantly having issues, with using all different chargers, BP, Genie etc. Starts to charge then after a period it has an issue.
Today it would not charge at all, started the charge, car made a clicking sound, all lights came on to show charger, then went straight off.
Spoke to EMG, they said I can only charge occasional on the fast charge, I am not plugging it in, I am not connecting with the apps. Etc. all these things I am doing what is required.
They are being difficult at the garage and don’t seem to want to help.
It sounds like you need a different dealer, a better one. And if you can contact another local e-Niro owner they may be willing to check your settings. Where are you?

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,465 Posts
Dealer sounds useless. Try a different one if possible. Also a quick moan at Kia customer service might help push EMG to do the right thing.

If it charges for a short time and quits then it could be the charge port locking not working quite properly.

12v battery problems also can cause charging bother.

I'd definitely try a different dealer but it might be more tricky if the car is troublesome to charge and others are more of a trek away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like charge timer is set - have you checked the settings?
one time it will fully charge, the next it will trip out, I thought it was a connection problem.
Going to try to contact Kia directly Monday or use another garage as it is annoying

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,878 Posts
one time it will fully charge, the next it will trip out, I thought it was a connection problem.
Going to try to contact Kia directly Monday or use another garage as it is annoying
If it has only just started playing up, could well be a faulty socket. Best to take a photo of any messages on the dash to show the other dealer.

For what it's worth, if I forget to press the Leaf's timer over ride button the charger (home or public) will start chjarging for a second and then stop, with the sound of relays clicking. (it's the car & charger checking the coms and confirming what current the charger can provide when the timer does start the charging)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As this appears to happen at multiple chargers and using Rapid or Fast units then I would tend to think that the car has a fault that needs to be taken seriously by the vendor garage. Sometimes issues like this can be caused by timer settings but as multiple charges on multiple chargers start and run for some time before aborting I don't think this is the cause.

Ask to speak to the EMG main manager rather than either the sales or service manager and make it clear that this needs investigation followed by repairs under warranty as appropriate as having such an intermittent fault is unacceptable. Mention to him that his staff have tried to fob you off with ridiculous remarks such as - Quote - " can only charge occasional on the fast charge, I am not plugging it in, I am not connecting with the apps ". Tell him that such remarks are unprofessional and patronising as well as being inaccurate and that you expect better from such an organisation.

Then, if he fails to respond it may need a letter to their head office I'm afraid.
Thanks will do

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,563 Posts
Only thing on the car to check is a charge timer or charge location settings. These don’t affect rapid charging with CCS. For both charge methods check the charge limits. There are separate charge limit settings for fast and rapid. Kia calls it standard and fast.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts