Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Can anyone help as the garage say it’s me at fault….
I have a 70 plate Eniro, I am having issues with charging disrupted despite it being on charge when I leave it, sometime for long periods.
Today it would not take a rapid charge at Genie, and so had to slow charge for 20 plus mins, then try again..
It is becoming really frustrating as EMG have not been helpful at all.
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think we might need a bit more information.
Hi,
I put the car in the home charger, checked it was charging and again 20 mins later. Only to find in the morning it had stopped charging, with a warning note on the dash saying charging disrupted.
then had a few good charges.
However I am constantly having issues, with using all different chargers, BP, Genie etc. Starts to charge then after a period it has an issue.
Today it would not charge at all, started the charge, car made a clicking sound, all lights came on to show charger, then went straight off.
Spoke to EMG, they said I can only charge occasional on the fast charge, I am not plugging it in, I am not connecting with the apps. Etc. all these things I am doing what is required.
They are being difficult at the garage and don’t seem to want to help.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
9,899 Posts
As this appears to happen at multiple chargers and using Rapid or Fast units then I would tend to think that the car has a fault that needs to be taken seriously by the vendor garage. Sometimes issues like this can be caused by timer settings but as multiple charges on multiple chargers start and run for some time before aborting I don't think this is the cause.

Ask to speak to the EMG main manager rather than either the sales or service manager and make it clear that this needs investigation followed by repairs under warranty as appropriate as having such an intermittent fault is unacceptable. Mention to him that his staff have tried to fob you off with ridiculous remarks such as - Quote - " can only charge occasional on the fast charge, I am not plugging it in, I am not connecting with the apps ". Tell him that such remarks are unprofessional and patronising as well as being inaccurate and that you expect better from such an organisation.

Then, if he fails to respond it may need a letter to their head office I'm afraid.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,668 Posts
Sorry to hear about this.
Has it only just started behaving this way? Has it ever worked ok for you? What type of home charger do you have? What is the SOC before/after the failed attempts?
It's very hard to know what is going on from your description. Something seems to be not right.
Did the car screen message actually say “charge disrupted”? That’s a new one on me. Can you take a photo of the message(s)?
Did the garage actually test the car charging for you?
Perhaps if you give an approximate location (don’t be too specific) someone on here might be able to come and help? Peter

·
Registered
708 Posts
Hi,
I put the car in the home charger, checked it was charging and again 20 mins later. Only to find in the morning it had stopped charging, with a warning note on the dash saying charging disrupted.
However I am constantly having issues, with using all different chargers, BP, Genie etc. Starts to charge then after a period it has an issue.
Today it would not charge at all, started the charge, car made a clicking sound, all lights came on to show charger, then went straight off.
Spoke to EMG, they said I can only charge occasional on the fast charge, I am not plugging it in, I am not connecting with the apps. Etc. all these things I am doing what is required.
It sounds like you need a different dealer, a better one. And if you can contact another local e-Niro owner they may be willing to check your settings. Where are you?

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
9,612 Posts
Dealer sounds useless. Try a different one if possible. Also a quick moan at Kia customer service might help push EMG to do the right thing.

If it charges for a short time and quits then it could be the charge port locking not working quite properly.

12v battery problems also can cause charging bother.

I'd definitely try a different dealer but it might be more tricky if the car is troublesome to charge and others are more of a trek away.

·
Premium Member
8,017 Posts
one time it will fully charge, the next it will trip out, I thought it was a connection problem.
Going to try to contact Kia directly Monday or use another garage as it is annoying
If it has only just started playing up, could well be a faulty socket. Best to take a photo of any messages on the dash to show the other dealer.

For what it's worth, if I forget to press the Leaf's timer over ride button the charger (home or public) will start chjarging for a second and then stop, with the sound of relays clicking. (it's the car & charger checking the coms and confirming what current the charger can provide when the timer does start the charging)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As this appears to happen at multiple chargers and using Rapid or Fast units then I would tend to think that the car has a fault that needs to be taken seriously by the vendor garage. Sometimes issues like this can be caused by timer settings but as multiple charges on multiple chargers start and run for some time before aborting I don't think this is the cause.

Ask to speak to the EMG main manager rather than either the sales or service manager and make it clear that this needs investigation followed by repairs under warranty as appropriate as having such an intermittent fault is unacceptable. Mention to him that his staff have tried to fob you off with ridiculous remarks such as - Quote - " can only charge occasional on the fast charge, I am not plugging it in, I am not connecting with the apps ". Tell him that such remarks are unprofessional and patronising as well as being inaccurate and that you expect better from such an organisation.

Then, if he fails to respond it may need a letter to their head office I'm afraid.
Thanks will do

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
2,125 Posts
Only thing on the car to check is a charge timer or charge location settings. These don’t affect rapid charging with CCS. For both charge methods check the charge limits. There are separate charge limit settings for fast and rapid. Kia calls it standard and fast.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
I have a 70 plate Eniro, I am having issues with charging disrupted despite it being on charge when I leave it, sometime for long periods.
Today it would not take a rapid charge at Genie, and so had to slow charge for 20 plus mins, then try again..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
Did You get a resolve on this 1? I am having a very similar issue with my 21 plate eNiro. It will not rapid charge on any CCS charge point I have tried 6 different charge points now. It will only AC Charge on type 2 slow charge. Kia Assistance would not attend my vehicle as it was not “technically broken down” 3 closest dealers not booking for more than 1 month in advance. It is a company vehicle which I am currently doing 1000 miles per week and rapid charging is essential.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
1,855 Posts
Did You get a resolve on this 1? I am having a very similar issue with my 21 plate eNiro. It will not rapid charge on any CCS charge point I have tried 6 different charge points now. It will only AC Charge on type 2 slow charge. Kia Assistance would not attend my vehicle as it was not “technically broken down” 3 closest dealers not booking for more than 1 month in advance. It is a company vehicle which I am currently doing 1000 miles per week and rapid charging is essential.
I would try a hard reset: disconnect the 12v battery, let it sit for 30 minutes and reconnect. It sometimes solves strange issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I have a 71 plate E-Niro that was doing exactly the same faults as per OP It has now been in the dealer for 1 Month and they have replaced the OBC (On-Board-Charger) module but the fault persists with very very slow charging ie (350kw charger car charging at 17-23kw max) tried on numerous chargers with the same fault, The dealer are now awaiting the CCM (Charging-Control-Module) with currently no eta as there are none anywhere so they may need to harvest from another vehicle for testing purposes... So i feel your pain as this is becoming an expensive lesson as im paying a fortune in fuel for my Kia supplied hire car when i purchased an EV for a reason !!

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,668 Posts
Hi I have a 71 plate E-Niro that was doing exactly the same faults as per OP It has now been in the dealer for 1 Month and they have replaced the OBC (On-Board-Charger) module but the fault persists with very very slow charging ie (350kw charger car charging at 17-23kw max) tried on numerous chargers with the same fault, The dealer are now awaiting the CCM (Charging-Control-Module) with currently no eta as there are none anywhere so they may need to harvest from another vehicle for testing purposes... So i feel your pain as this is becoming an expensive lesson as im paying a fortune in fuel for my Kia supplied hire car when i purchased an EV for a reason !!
You do know that those sort of power levels on D.C. charging when the Eniro battery is cold can be quite normal? Especially so if battery is above say around 60% SOC. The absolute most Eniro can ever charge at is around 70kW, but then only under very certain specific conditions and with a quite warm battery (which literally never occurs in winter climates). It’s rather pointless using an expensive 350kW rapid charger mostly, as the car cannot utilise such charging rates. Just saying.

The dealers are usually so clueless about EVs, and their normal foibles, they might even be chasing a non existent fault here??
Peter

·
Registered
5 Posts
You do know that those sort of power levels on D.C. charging when the Eniro battery is cold can be quite normal? Especially so if battery is above say around 60% SOC. The absolute most Eniro can ever charge at is around 70kW, but then only under very certain specific conditions and with a quite warm battery (which literally never occurs in winter climates). It’s rather pointless using an expensive 350kW rapid charger mostly, as the car cannot utilise such charging rates. Just saying.

The dealers are usually so clueless about EVs, and their normal foibles, they might even be chasing a non existent fault here??
Peter
[/QUOT

I h
Hi

I hope you have resolved your problem - if not, you may find that this helps. I have had similar experiences but then realised I did not have a fault. I’m not certain if your model shares the same UVO app.

if you have the UVO app, from the Home page go to the “more” menu option and then select the option for Charging / Energy. Then select “Set Charging Limits”. You can the set independent sliders for the charging limits for both rapid and fast charging - just to add confusion DC RAPID charging is labelled as FAST and AC charging is described as STANDARD CHARGING. These slider controls increment in 10% segments, so for example, you could set one to 70% and the other to 90% or vice versa, or indeed any other 10% increment.

If these selections have been set at a specific level, they will take precedence over any timer settings when using AC charging. At times, I have limited the state of charge on the UVO app when at home and then forgot to reset the app when next plugging in to a Public AC charger at the supermarket, only to be puzzled to find the car had stopped charging earlier than I expected. It happened more than once before I recognised my mistake.

When charging on a DC rapid, you wouldn’t normally have need of any timer but you might still have a limit set to your charging.

I also noticed, that if you are charging on an overnight timed charge, and you have set the limit, the car’s electronic system seems to control the rate of charge at the lowest level necessary to reach your chosen limit by the end time selected.

If say you plugged into a 7kW public charger when you were at 66% and you had previously set the limit to 70%, then the car seems to charge very slowly As it approaches your defined limit. If you had set the limit for AC charging at 80% or 90% it would not slow down to the same extent until it came close to the limit.

My Niro 4+ has 11kW charging, so is capable of charging at that speed at my local Aldi rather than at 7kW at home - the 11kW restriction is applied by the car at Aldi (even though my local branch has 22kW chargers).

On top of all that, DC charging is particularly affected by temperature. If it’s cold, or if your state of charge is already fairly high, the on-board electronics slow down even a rapid charger. The e-Niro will most often reach a speed of 40kW/h within a minute or two of connecting, but will slow down dramatically when around 65% or more, to protect the battery. When starting at a much lower state of charge, the car is capable of charging at upwards of 70 KW/h (but that is not sustained for very long).

Interestingly, p16 of the Kia manual explicitly states “we recommend using AC charging for the usual charging of the vehicle”. This makes a lot of sense because the average motoring in the UK is only c8000 miles p.a., which is less than 25 miles per day. Limited use of DC charging, Will for many people, be the norm. In any event using off-peak chargers at home, or free supermarket chargers is the most economic and is convenient if you are not just waiting for the car to charge.

Even so, you can use DC charging when required, but given the car’s fantastic range, it is only needed once in a journey of say 480-500 miles. Admittedly DC charging in the E-Niro is not as fast as some other cars, but with some notable exceptions, will rarely be needed.

Hi,

one time it will fully charge, the next it will trip out, I thought it was a connection problem.
Going to try to contact Kia directly Monday or use another garage as it is annoying

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
My 21 plate E-Niro stopped accepting rapid charge and eventually stopped charging altogether. Had to call it in with KIA assistance as a breakdown as I was 150 miles from home. It’s been with the dealer for almost 1 month waiting on a part which is on “back order” with no estimated arrival. (“Due to current shortages”) . Kia have supplied me via Enterprise car hire a Mini Countryman 2 litre petrol John Cooper Works. Costing me a fortune on Petrol. KIA Customer Services not interested. Their remit is to supply me with a car not like for like or even close!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts