Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am travelling to London in September for a few days and decided to use this as a good excuse to test an EV (as I'm looking at buying one) so I've booked a Premium EV with Enterprise. Apparently I'll get either a Jaguar I-Pace or a Tesla Model S.

I know nothing about how it works but does anyone know if Enterprise allow free use of Tesla superchargers? I've tried calling them but they haven't got back to me yet.

The hotel I'm staying at has a free to use single 7 kW Mennekes charger. Will this charger work with the Tesla/Jaguar and do I need to make sure Enterprise provide cables because I have absolutely no idea! 馃槱

Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
You need to call through to central reservations to book and make sure everything is okay. Online reservations and bookings trough third party websites tend to get last minute substitutions with other non-electric cars. If it's already booked, just give them a call about a week before - They should be able to tell you at that point what model you can most likely expect.

You'll pick up the car with at least 50% charge from the branch, and you'll get a Type 2-Type 2 Cable, as well as a card to allow the use of CYC Network chargers. If you get the Tesla you can use the superchargers included in the rental cost. If it is the ipace you will have to plan a little more carefully for where you charge. Zap Map and ABRP are helpful apps.

Registered
My brother did this, rented a premium EV from enterprise for a day trip from east london to wetherby and back.

A few days before the rental was due to begin, enterprise phoned him up and tried to get him to agree that a BMW 3 series would be "a similar premium car". He refused and insisted that they give him an EV as booked more than a month before. There was much grumbling and scrabbling for a car but they provided him with a Model S 100D. Supercharging was included (one of the reasons why it made economic sense to do the rental that way). The same car came up for sale on Tesla's website a few days later.

Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
enterprise phoned him up and tried to get him to agree that a BMW 3 series would be "a similar premium car"
They were doing pretty well to get offered a 3 Series. They generally try to play the eco card instead and fob you off with their next cleanest options which are along the lines of a Prius Plug-In, Ioniq or Auris hybrid. If you demand electric you typically find yourself getting put in an Enterprise Car Club LEAF (40kWh) with completely different booking terms to what you originally asked for.

It's why I always urge people to call up to confirm everything on the phone to avoid such disappointment.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
You need to call through to central reservations to book and make sure everything is okay. Online reservations and bookings trough third party websites tend to get last minute substitutions with other non-electric cars. If it's already booked, just give them a call about a week before - They should be able to tell you at that point what model you can most likely expect.

You'll pick up the car with at least 50% charge from the branch, and you'll get a Type 2-Type 2 Cable, as well as a card to allow the use of CYC Network chargers. If you get the Tesla you can use the superchargers included in the rental cost. If it is the ipace you will have to plan a little more carefully for where you charge. Zap Map and ABRP are helpful apps.
Thanks for the advice, I'll give them a call a couple of weeks before the rental. I did book direct with Enterprise however the rental isn't until later in September.

My brother did this, rented a premium EV from enterprise for a day trip from east london to wetherby and back.

A few days before the rental was due to begin, enterprise phoned him up and tried to get him to agree that a BMW 3 series would be "a similar premium car". He refused and insisted that they give him an EV as booked more than a month before. There was much grumbling and scrabbling for a car but they provided him with a Model S 100D. Supercharging was included (one of the reasons why it made economic sense to do the rental that way). The same car came up for sale on Tesla's website a few days later.
Yeah I've read a similar story, I wouldn't mind going to a premium SUV even though the fuel will cost 拢50-拢100 more but not a 3 series for the price already paid (n) I have had a good experience with this branch in the past, they gave me a loaner for a weekend whilst my 1 series was in for a recall with BMW, funnily enough they gave me a 3 series estate..

Registered
They were doing pretty well to get offered a 3 Series. They generally try to play the eco card instead and fob you off with their next cleanest options which are along the lines of a Prius Plug-In, Ioniq or Auris hybrid. If you demand electric you typically find yourself getting put in an Enterprise Car Club LEAF (40kWh) with completely different booking terms to what you originally asked for.
In my experience, the reason you never get a top car is the guy who runs the franchise office uses it as his own car to run around in and never rents it out :ROFLMAO:

Registered
Fwiw I often rent cars due to work. Enterprise have always given a good service, helpful and often upgrade for free. I have had nightmare experience with other companies especially Avis charging my card extra fees weeks later with no explanation. I went through my bank to do a charge back rather than wait for Avis to "consider my case". Bank rep said large percentage of complaints they get are car rental extra charges weeks later. No connection with Enterprise except as a satisfied customer 馃榾

Registered
Standard practice. Give the guy a damaged car and hope he doesn鈥檛 notice. When car is returned charge fees for return condition and repairs. Don鈥檛 bother getting work done as you pocket the cash and try the same trick with every subsequent customer.

Registered
Hey Hi all. Picked up a Tesla Model S from my local Enterprise today for a 10 day rental , ill be trying the supercharger tomorrow so fingers crossed it all works fine. they have supplied a 3pin charger also but that seems to take an age to make any difference. The car is amazing btw!

Registered
Standard practice. Give the guy a damaged car and hope he doesn鈥檛 notice. When car is returned charge fees for return condition and repairs. Don鈥檛 bother getting work done as you pocket the cash and try the same trick with every subsequent customer.
I hire cars via work and occasionally myself, after some of the horror stories form people I know about exactly this practice, The give me the sheet and walk around the car and I make a point of walking round the car videoing it while the bod is with me. Unsurprisingly enough regardless of country I have never had a problem with damage charges, wonder if they mark up the hire sheet when they come back in to the office.

Friend at work ended up with an argument over this when the person checking car in was adamant that the pictures taken showing the damage had just been taken so it clearly happened when it was out. Despite the clearly dated nature of the pictures this had to go through to the manager to approve... I know that margins are tight but this is a fraud and should be treated that way.

Registered
The give me the sheet and walk around the car and I make a point of walking round the car videoing it while the bod is with me.
Agreed. It takes a few minutes to walk around the car videoing it with the phone. Surprisingly when I've pointed out a slight scuff or mark on the paint, the delivery person said "oh we don't worry about that - only significant damage". Also spend a little longer recording the alloy wheels as there will be existing kerbing. Many people will say its a complete waste of time, but to me it's cheap insurance against 拢xxx claims. Same with blipping the dashcam record button when entering/leaving an ANPR controlled carpark.

Registered
What is the effective daily rate?
Hi Johnny - Its roughly 拢80 a day. I initially booked a 4x4 (range rover sport size) a month in advance - I rang the local Enterprise agent as my rental approached and he suggested the Tesla as an alternative. I went for it as I am thinking of changing my car soon and was looking at going fully electric.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts