Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Does anyone know if the Enyaq 60 has selective regen braking?
I know that if you select the drive package you get the steering wheel paddles that allow you to select regen, but can you select any other way such as in menus?
I'm due to change company car and the 60 is on my list but I can't add any options to it unfortunately. I currently have the Leaf 40 and I love the one pedal driving.

·
Registered
Skoda Enyaq iV80 (2021)
81 Posts
Hi Silky. I've had my Enyaq for three weeks now :) Yes, of course it has regenerative braking - the default is 'automatic', which means if there's nothing in the way ahead of you and it doesn't see any junctions or speed restriction signs, it just coasts if you take your foot off the throttle. It will start braking automatically if you get too close to the car in front, if it detects a reduced speed limit, or when coming up to a junction/roundabout. For general driving, I let the regenerative braking do most of the work so I hardly have to touch the brake pedal. Also clever is the fact that, if you have programmed a satnav route, it knows when - for example - you will be turning into a side road and will slow the car accordingly. You have some other options: one is to change from 'D' position to 'B' on the 'gearstick' which then puts on maximum regenerative braking as soon as you take your foot off the throttle... don't use it myself, but I guess it's useful for crawling in heavy traffic. The paddles on the steering wheel also override the automatic regenerative braking which you can set manually (choice of three strengths)... I don't see the point of this as it only works when you don't have your foot on the throttle: as soon as you hit the accelerator pedal it defaults back to automatic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Silky. I've had my Enyaq for three weeks now :) Yes, of course it has regenerative braking - the default is 'automatic', which means if there's nothing in the way ahead of you and it doesn't see any junctions or speed restriction signs, it just coasts if you take your foot off the throttle. It will start braking automatically if you get too close to the car in front, if it detects a reduced speed limit, or when coming up to a junction/roundabout. For general driving, I let the regenerative braking do most of the work so I hardly have to touch the brake pedal. Also clever is the fact that, if you have programmed a satnav route, it knows when - for example - you will be turning into a side road and will slow the car accordingly. You have some other options: one is to change from 'D' position to 'B' on the 'gearstick' which then puts on maximum regenerative braking as soon as you take your foot off the throttle... don't use it myself, but I guess it's useful for crawling in heavy traffic. The paddles on the steering wheel also override the automatic regenerative braking which you can set manually (choice of three strengths)... I don't see the point of this as it only works when you don't have your foot on the throttle: as soon as you hit the accelerator pedal it defaults back to automatic.
Hi Nick123, thats brilliant, thanks for the info!

·
Registered
Skoda Enyaq iV80 (2021)
81 Posts
If it's a company car and you have to do a few hundred miles for any reason, then the one option you must insist on for your Enyaq is the fast-charging package (€525 here in 'Euroland'). Otherwise, you'll be stuck at 50kW charge speed which means it'll take you well over an hour to charge at the motorway services (from a few percent back up to 80% battery). The 'charge package' boosts the rate to 100kW for an Enyaq 60.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm wondering whether the 100kw charging package is really worth it in the UK? I've not seen any 100kw chargers around apart from the very expensive Ionity ones, so we're pretty much limited to 50kw by the infrastructure anyway

·
Registered
Skoda Enyaq iV80 (2021)
81 Posts
Hi IroniqEV, I guess it depends if you're planning to use the car for longish distances (>200 miles) or not. I think the charging pack is certainly worth it if you're planning to do some mileage on the motorway network. OK, Ionity is expensive, but here in Europe there's not a lot of choice on the motorways apart from Ionity... I assume it'll get better as more EVs come on stream and more players enter the charging market. At least you can pay by the kW in the UK: here in France, the electric meters Ionity use are not yet officially been calibrated so they are not allowed to sell by the kW! So, Ionity have opted for the same rate but per minute instead of per kW - great if you can charge at >60kWh/h but with the standard' Enyaq at the 50kW limit the price is even higher than in other countries :( Finland is the same as France, all other countries in Europe can charge by the kW. Skoda have made a big mistake in my opinion on this 50kW limit: I've got the iV80 which has a 82kW battery... what an earth are they thinking about, limiting the charge rate to 50kW??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sounds like Ionity have rolled out chargers much further where you are, which is good. Here in UK, almost every CCS charger is limited to 50 KW anyway (apart from Tesla). Hopefully that will change over the next few years

·
Registered
Skoda Enyaq iV80 (2021)
81 Posts
Oh! - most of the 'autoroute' Ionity chargers here are up to 350kW. HMG needs to do something if it wants EVs to take off in the UK; I don't know why Ionity have adopted such a limited policy in the UK, but I assume the answer is complex and bureaucratic. Nobody who needs to travel between major UK cities will tolerate such long waits to recharge at motorway services limited to 50kW, so I assume such people won't be investing in an EV for the moment... except a Tesla: perhaps HMG have shares in Tesla? :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I opted for the 100kw option as there are quite a few 100kw chargers already around and Ecotricity / Gridserve are upgrading all of their chargers to add rapid speeds.

There is also the resale value. In 3-4 years a 100kw car will resell for more than the ~£500 it costs to upgrade, compared to the 50kw version

Have a look at the zap map app and filter by CCS charger. My screenshot shows all of the CCS chargers 100kw or over

·
Registered
Skoda Enyaq iV80 (2021)
81 Posts
Hi MrHudson, the charging network in England doesn't look too bad after all, then. I ordered an EnyaqiV80 with 125kW charging but they delivered me a max 50kW model... the dealer made an error. I'm been waiting nearly two weeks now for this issue to be resolved: I hope it's just a matter of a software upgrade, but I don't know why it is taking so long to get an answer on this out of the dealer and Skoda :(
With the Ionity tariff in France being €0.79 per minute rather than €0.79 per kW as it is in nearly all other countries, there's even more reason to go for faster charging. The problem is the calibration of Ionity's power meters... France seems to think that charging per minute is fine, but I bet the French authorities (Norme Française) haven't calibrated the timing clocks either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My replacement company car Enyaq 60Loft has just arrived, base spec just with quartz grey paint so ive only the B selection on the gearlever. This seems to give similar regen to the maximum B5 setting on the Oulander PHEV its replacing, i used to run on B5 all the time, its a bit like engine braking from a large 4 stroke single motorcycle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts