Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the iV60 which has WLTP average range of 256mile. We all know that is usually an over exaggeration of how the car performs, so I thought it would be good to get an idea of what others are getting out of their car in a similar format so that it's easy to compare.

For the real range I've multiplied my miles per kWh by 58 as that is the usable battery size.

For guess-o-meter range I've divided the estimated miles in the car/app by the percentage of charge I had and multiplied the answer by 100

Version: iV60
Miles per kWh: 4.2
Real range: 243.6
GoM range: 297.9

I'm not sure how or why Skoda would allow the GoM to estimate a range so much bigger than their WLTP range, which is from a highly controlled test environment. It could be a way to try and alleviate range anxiety, but I'm not a fan.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
981 Posts
As you say... it's a GoM, the operative word there being "Guess". It will of course depend on the type and style of your driving since the last charge. If you've been driving in traffic around town you'll certainly see better performance than if you try looking at your consumption after a motorway drive at 70mph.

WLTP is worked out under strict, standardised conditions. My car has a WLTP range of 207 miles. On a long motorway trip at this time of year I can get 3.8 miles/kWh which equates to 179 miles. Around town I can easily achieve 5.5 miles/kWh which equates to 258 miles.

Go perform your test over different types of driving, weather and temperature. Once you have enough data you can average it all out and find your own personal average range and whether to believe your GoM or not.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand it's a guess, but that guess has to come from some data in the car, its not sentient.

Taking the 297.9 mile range from a full battery and dividing by 58 ( usable battery capacity ) I'd still have to be getting 5.1 miles per kWh to get that many miles.

Even when I trundle to the shop in B driving mode with no A/C and an average speed of 13mph I'm still only getting around 4.4 miles per kWh.

There is no way I'd get anywhere close to 297 miles.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 1st Edition https://share.octopus.energy/quiet-puma-274
797 Posts
Welcome to the world of EVs.. 😏
I generally ignore the GOM, just reset my trip & use percentage if I really need to know how my range is doing to work out when I need to charge, but I hardly ever drive far enough in one go to bother...
You'll get used to what the car can do over time for different weather conditions & Rd usage...

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
981 Posts
How far is your "trundle"? You need to try and do a lot of miles under different conditions for the GoM to settle down to a hopefully more realistic figure. Patience.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm well used to EVs, I've had a Zoe for the past three years and the GoM was actually quite accurate.

I've done motorway driving, A road driving, town driving etc. I'm not asking for advice here, I'm more curious as to what others are seeing with their Enyaqs.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
every car/manufacturer has its own methods of calculating the GOM range. Essentially they are using some form of rolling average of the last X miles of driving, and then taking that value and interpolating forwards comparing with available range. One imagines they could also mix in some blend of longer term averaging too.

Evidently if they select a longer period, it doesnt shift about as much, but also doesnt respond as quickly to vastly different conditions. A shorter period is more reactive, but is also more easily fooled by say a long down hill stretch on a motorway.

If your last few miles have been downhill or very slow and thus have produced a high mi/kwh figure, then it follows the car could display a range thats significantly higher than WLTP.

The LEAF seems to be completely hopeless, and always displays 100miles when i get in with a full charge, despite that being impossible for any sort of driving that i do, and always massively overestimates the range.

My previous B250e was actually pretty good. If fairly quickly adjusted itself to how its being driven, and tended to be fairly accurate, it also used your previous driving to display a range even when you got in the next day. Infact owning the B250e always made me wonder why everyone called it a GOM. Owning a LEAF makes that much clearer!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Sadly this is true of so many EV makers.

I have to say my friends Niro and my Soul are usually absolutely spot on with their “guesses” - so much so I now feel I can actually rely on it. I wonder if the active battery management and liquid cooling /heating helps in this regard. How is the Enyaq’s battery cooled/heated?

If I even turn up the heat or cool the air con by 1 degree, the range alters, maybe by only 1m but it changes, it’s spookily accurate!

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
981 Posts
…it’s spookily accurate!
You’ll only ever know it’s accurate if or when you hit 0% on the GoM. Have you tried that yet?

Personally, I’d prefer it if the GoM always had 10-15 miles up its sleeve. Based on the CarWOW tests I’ve seen, I know my car has a “reserve” and I’ve pushed it down to 3 miles remaining on the GoM but I’ve no idea how “accurate” that is.

So far there don’t appear to be too many Enyaq owners who have experimented close to these limits based on the responses to this thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts