Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few delays, I got to drive the Enyaq 80 today down the A12 and some windy roads. I drive a Leaf 40 now and really like the build quality, comfort, quietness and acceleration of the leaf. What I was looking for was a bigger vehicle with longer range, but not compromising much on the things I like about the Leaf.
Did the Enyak make it? Well, nearly, It is bigger but suffers from the big step up when you fold down the seats, so no long level loading area (not surprising really). It has longer range definitely but is less efficient. I knew it would be just because of weight and aerodynamics, so no surprise again.
Plastics don't feel as solid as in the Leaf, not that that bothers me but other aspects of build quality match the Leaf. Seats pretty much as comfortable as the leaf and probably better in the rear. Again, just as quiet as the Leaf which was a surprise given the bigger tyres. Performance? Well just a little more sluggish than the Leaf (neither are really sluggish though) even in the sport mode. In normal mode, accelerating away from 60 to 80, there seemed almost to be a delay in the power applied to the wheels when flooring it. One problem which makes a real difference for practical use is the difficulty my wife has getting in and out, Its a big step up and a wide step to get in but not as bad as the iPace which my wife refused point blank. All in all though, a pleasure to drive and my first choice to replace the leaf and Renault Grand Scenic, going from 2 cars to one..

Well it was, until we got down to prices. I added quite a few options to match the spec of the Leaf Tekna and List price was £43,800. OK ish but the real shocker was the monthly lease price for 3yr term, 12000 miles and £3000 down which came to £800. So, now my sights are set lower on the Leaf 60 although I will probably wait to see the Arya before deciding. Didn't like the Korean EVs or the MG and I would prefer a 250 mile range. If they ever update the leaf to 80kWh in an estate model, that would be the car for us.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Would the ID4 be an option for you? Obviously very similar to the Enyaq - don't seem to be big discounts when compared to the ID3 but is available via DriveTheDeal with some discount.

I suspect / hope there will be better discounts later in the year, and DtD will add the Enyaq to their offers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Had a 2hr test drive a week ago in a IV80 although it would be a 60 I would be interested in myself. It was my first ever drive in a full electric vehicle and there was much to like.

The size of the car is important to me as we have a Tiguan 2.0 diesel auto and that feels just right to us for size and the IV60 virtually matches it other than slightly less room in the back seat area. Nicely finished off inside so no complaints there. Rapid acceleration compared to the 10+ seconds 0-60 of the Tiguan and seamless being electric over the Auto box. Silence is golden too other than a bit of road noise which would normally be drowned out by the ICE engine.
Not sure what wheels were on the IV80 but were at least 20" so felt a few bumps when going over any pot holes etc but eerily quiet otherwise.

Steering nicely weighted and it holds the road well going around corners no wallowing noticed.

Can't say much else other than seems a well put together car that has more than enough performance and comfort and I would be specifying an IV60 loft with a very few options.I feel only options for me would be reversing camera and the £115 graphite 19" wheels and in Silver frost metalic it comes in at under £35k. It's easy to spec them much higher but most of the extras I have on my Tiguan SEL and rarely used so won't be over doing it this time round.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I have a leaf 30, but the enyaq felt better in many ways. A lot quieter at speed for instance, and a far more premium feeling interior.

I also find your folded seats point somewhat odd... The leaf also has a huge step and it's exacerbated by a horribly shaped boot with huge outcroppings of plastic either side of the folded seats encroaching into the space and a super deep main boot area with a really big lip...

Pricing can get big quickly, but it all comes down to the options, when I first went over it I added loads, but after pondering it more I revised it back quite a bit as I realised some of the stuff wasn't quite as it first seemed.

Performance was mixed, at low speeds it didn't feel much better but the enyaq has a fairly low peak torque figure so it's not a huge surprise. Once you got up above 30ish the enyaq was definitely faster. Floor it at motorway speeds and the difference is substantial. Although your 40 probably closes the gap a bit with its increased output compared to my 30.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
As I wrote, the Enyaq was my first choice until we got to price. It's a perfectly competent EV but definitely less efficient than a Leaf 40 for obvious reasons.
I mentioned the ledge because it would have been nice not to have it. Batteries under the floor make this unlikely for any EV so it is not surprising that the Enyaq has one.
The problem with pricing is amplified because the Nissan Leaf Tekna has virtually everything included at the base price whereas I had to add a lot of options to match the spec of my current car, and the price I mentioned was without metallic paint. All of the cost of the options has to be paid for over the term of the pcp/lease.
Maybe some leases on pre reg models with the options we want may come up in the future.
If I was moving from ICE to an Enyaq the Enyaq would win hands down. It just feels less responsive than the Leaf. The Leaf 60 even more so. As it happens I don't care much about this, but worth a mention. I also forgot, the brakes were quite spongy too which I mentioned to the salesman and may just indicate some air in the hydraulics. 🤨

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
£800pm seems steep to me. I wouldn't pay that.

We'll have to see what happens to prices as competition from the EV6, Ionic 5 and Ariya comes online.

·
Registered
222 Posts
When the Ioniq 5 release date started to recede towards Q4 I tried out an Enyaq and an ID.4. Superficially the Enyaq looked cheaper but when you added in the warranty and features to bring it in line with the Ioniq it turned out more expensive.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Had a 2hr test drive a week ago in a IV80 although it would be a 60 I would be interested in myself. It was my first ever drive in a full electric vehicle and there was much to like.

The size of the car is important to me as we have a Tiguan 2.0 diesel auto and that feels just right to us for size and the IV60 virtually matches it other than slightly less room in the back seat area. Nicely finished off inside so no complaints there. Rapid acceleration compared to the 10+ seconds 0-60 of the Tiguan and seamless being electric over the Auto box. Silence is golden too other than a bit of road noise which would normally be drowned out by the ICE engine.
Not sure what wheels were on the IV80 but were at least 20" so felt a few bumps when going over any pot holes etc but eerily quiet otherwise.

Steering nicely weighted and it holds the road well going around corners no wallowing noticed.

Can't say much else other than seems a well put together car that has more than enough performance and comfort and I would be specifying an IV60 loft with a very few options.I feel only options for me would be reversing camera and the £115 graphite 19" wheels and in Silver frost metalic it comes in at under £35k. It's easy to spec them much higher but most of the extras I have on my Tiguan SEL and rarely used so won't be over doing it this time round.
Just as a reminder, if needed.

The £35k grant limit only applies to the basic car price, you can add as many options as you like and still get it! 😊

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know thanks, but I have a self imposed limit and it's very close to £35k:D

I just might stretch it a bit to an Ionic 5 their base model is £36999 IIRC depends what you get for that though as specs are not yet finalised.

·
Registered
7 Posts
kbfern, I have been advised by a Skoda dealer that all iV80 demonstrators have 21" wheels and all iV60 demonstrators have 20" wheels.

·
Registered
211 Posts
After a few delays, I got to drive the Enyaq 80 today down the A12 and some windy roads. I drive a Leaf 40 now and really like the build quality, comfort, quietness and acceleration of the leaf. What I was looking for was a bigger vehicle with longer range, but not compromising much on the things I like about the Leaf.
Did the Enyak make it? Well, nearly, It is bigger but suffers from the big step up when you fold down the seats, so no long level loading area (not surprising really). It has longer range definitely but is less efficient. I knew it would be just because of weight and aerodynamics, so no surprise again.
Plastics don't feel as solid as in the Leaf, not that that bothers me but other aspects of build quality match the Leaf. Seats pretty much as comfortable as the leaf and probably better in the rear. Again, just as quiet as the Leaf which was a surprise given the bigger tyres. Performance? Well just a little more sluggish than the Leaf (neither are really sluggish though) even in the sport mode. In normal mode, accelerating away from 60 to 80, there seemed almost to be a delay in the power applied to the wheels when flooring it. One problem which makes a real difference for practical use is the difficulty my wife has getting in and out, Its a big step up and a wide step to get in but not as bad as the iPace which my wife refused point blank. All in all though, a pleasure to drive and my first choice to replace the leaf and Renault Grand Scenic, going from 2 cars to one..

Well it was, until we got down to prices. I added quite a few options to match the spec of the Leaf Tekna and List price was £43,800. OK ish but the real shocker was the monthly lease price for 3yr term, 12000 miles and £3000 down which came to £800. So, now my sights are set lower on the Leaf 60 although I will probably wait to see the Arya before deciding. Didn't like the Korean EVs or the MG and I would prefer a 250 mile range. If they ever update the leaf to 80kWh in an estate model, that would be the car for us.
I took my wife's Leaf62 in for some work earlier this week and killed a bit of time looking at the Enyaq in a nearby garage. Like you @EdH I have wondered whether this would be a future car for me (I used to own a Superb and liked it). I didn't get to drive one but I had a nice look around a couple and an equally nice chat with a salesman about EVs. It's a fine motor for sure but it reminded me also how well specced the Nissan is. My preference would be the 60kwh Enyaq and build the packages from that grant subsidised base, but it does seem unnecessarily complicated. Stealthily pricey too I think.

Interesting how folks view things differently, in this instance a boot lip. My previous motor was an Outlander and I used to find the flat boot floor (aligned to the bottom of the door, I mean) irritating as things could roll out when I opened it. The Enyaq has this design. I prefer the deeper, lipped boot of a hatchback for security of storage. Each to their own.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts