Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I've never heard of RFID being dodgy. It just works, providing the reading hardware is reliable, and it doesn't really depend on network backhaul, unless you define some complicated billing scheme that involves pre-authenticating sessions.
Actually, RFID cards themselves are really quite robust, been through washing machines, dropped in the sea, sat on.

The problem with public charging and RFID is almost always surrounding the card issuer not publishing the card numbers on the whitelist that they have to provide to all the numerous charge point management systems, or the charge point management system not configuring the individual charge points to work with a certain set of cards, and the fact that in the UK there's no clearing house yet set up to co-ordinate this, so the drivers are fed up with having to carry a large set of different RFID cards. Nowadays, the drivers are fed up with having to maintain pre-payment or post-payment accounts with multiple charging network providers, or having multiple web sites or mobile phone applications to log into to start or end a charge.

Entirely possible to have RFID reader and system configured to work offline with a pre-defined range of card numbers (staff passes, as previously described), which would be almost ideal for workplace charging for a closed-user-group. Download kwh figures at the end of the billing period to give to the accounts department to adjust for BIK on the payroll to keep the taxman happy. Absolutely no need for an Internet, or complicated mobile VPN connection for that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All, Had a first hand encounter with this company ordering a home charge-point for my new Leaf. I would avoid using them in the future and I have posted about my dealings with them. hope others avoid the mistake

·
Newcomer to EV world
60 Posts
Hi All, Had a first hand encounter with this company ordering a home charge-point for my new Leaf. I would avoid using them in the future and I have posted about my dealings with them. hope others avoid the mistake
Hi Dave, can you please post link to your post where you describe your dealings with EO Chargers as I culd not find any other posts from you on this forum and actually considering installing EO charger

·
Newcomer to EV world
60 Posts
@acideraser Dave has posted twice and the last one was above coming up for two years ago now, unlikely you will see any reply from him :)
Thanks for pointing out Biffa, didnt pay attention.

Will post about my experience, albeit a brief one. Can't say anything bad but someone may find this info useful. This is my personal opinion of course.

I decided to get EO Charger, contacted several companies who advertise installing them, such as EV Chargin Solutions and EV Chargers UK but it turned out they do not install in my area and therefore recommended local electricians.

Got quotes from them which were higher then advertised installed price after OLEV grant, who advised me my installation would not be standard based on photos provided. It also appears local electricians give 12 month labour warranty, where charger warranty is 36 month. In the end decided i don't want to find myself in a situation where there is an issue with the charger say 15 month down the road where installer points to manufacturer and manufacturer to the installer so in the end booked it with the company which installs their own chargers...

So, my point is that some customers may prefer to have single point of contact for installation and maintenance...

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Indeed, a standard install takes some beating however, it doesn’t take much to make a standard installer unattractive.

For me it was their rather inflexible approach to cable runs, effectively wanting to tack 35m of 6mm2 SWA around the outside of my house and charging an additional £400 for doing it.

I went with a local electrician and bought my unit, agreed with him to feed the cable through a small dormer void at the back of the house and though to the garage. No cables visible from outside the property except for the tethered one on the unit.

·
Newcomer to EV world
60 Posts
Sorry forgot to mention that it qualified for standard installation with the other company (not mentioning name as don't want to advertise), as both meter and charger are in the garage in the newly built extension hence all wiring is new.

They also included things like new small consumer unit connected to the meter before house CU(in case of tripping) plus said they would either use my TN-S earthing or fit rod if necessary without extra charge - things for which others wanted to charge extra circa 150-170 + VAT.

·
Founder of EO Charging
47 Posts
Hi Dave, can you please post link to your post where you describe your dealings with EO Chargers as I culd not find any other posts from you on this forum and actually considering installing EO charger
Hi acideraser

It's Charlie Jardine, Founder at EO Charging here. I hope you are well.

In terms of your home install experience, I am afraid the price advertised is very much a 'From' price. This price is based on what we and our installers refer to as a 'standard installation.' In terms of how many installs out of 10 are actually standard installations, we would expect 6 or 7. In situations where additional work is required, as you mentioned - the installer will charge more. As to why yours was not 'standard' - I am not sure without seeing the photos, but it may simply be to do with travel rather than the installation. We would need to find out from the installer.

Regards the warranty - We provide a 3-year warranty which covers parts and labour. So if anything at all goes wrong with the charger we replace the whole unit free of charge and pay the installer to do this. You should expect a new unit within 48 hours.

Lastly - DaveEV was a fake account established by one of our former employees who left two years ago. They haven't been active since!

If you have any further questions, feel free to email me on [email protected]

All the best,

Charlie

·
Newcomer to EV world
60 Posts
Hi Charlie,

My installation is standard - this confirmed by another company installing charger next week,
but two different installers came up with different requirements for earthing and extra costs.

My question is if you send me a new unit for replacement under warranty - will installer without additional charge ? I doubt as there is nothing in it for them.

Regarding DaveEV comments, I suspected something like this, hence I asked him to elaborate and pointed out there are no other posts detailing his experience - more for others who would wish to for EO unit.

·
Founder of EO Charging
47 Posts
Hi Charlie,

My installation is standard - this confirmed by another company installing charger next week,
but two different installers came up with different requirements for earthing and extra costs.

My question is if you send me a new unit for replacement under warranty - will installer without additional charge ? I doubt as there is nothing in it for them.

Regarding DaveEV comments, I suspected something like this, hence I asked him to elaborate and pointed out there are no other posts detailing his experience - more for others who would wish to for EO unit.
Hi Acideraser,

Firstly, apologies for the delay! I need to get better at checking in on here.

Hmm. I am afraid I'm not sure about the difference in pricing from the installers. In terms of our warranty - we pay the installer to go back to site, so if anything goes wrong with your unit in the first 3-years you simply receive a brand new unit free of charge!

Lastly - re DaveEV. Indeed.....

If you have any further questions, please shout! And feel free to email me on [email protected]

All the best,

Charlie

41 - 50 of 50 Posts