Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an EO Mini installed on Wednesday, and I didn't think to ask at the time (maybe a mistake?), but can the cables enter the rear of the unit, rather than the bottom as per my install carried out by EV Charging Solutions?

The photos on the EO website don't have the 2 cables entering from below so I'm wondering if I've messed up by not asking for something. See photos attached of the install (please mind the garage mess!). Honestly its not as neat as I was hoping, and the installer wasn't able to drill through the concrete garage floor or drive to install the earth rod somewhere better than behind the garage on the patio. Also the EO Mini itself is pretty badly scratched so I complained to EV Charging Solutions which are hopefully going to sort something out.

I'm mainly asking about the rear cable entry as in around 6 months the garage/passage/driveway arrangement will all be removed and changed due to a large extension, so I'd like to get the install as clean as possible then.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Not the most neet install I have seen, but as there is no legel definition of "neat and tidy" I don't think you will get it corrected.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,412 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all.

Yes I'm not after it being corrected, I just need to get it correct when it's relocated in ~6 months.

Its a bit misleading then if EO don't show it correctly on their website. If I knew it was bottom entry only I would have gone with something else.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Maybe worth an email to EO. It's certainly not immediately obvious why it should be a problem? There's plenty of room in the casing?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
It's possible to install the housing with rear entry but keep in mind that the installer will have to go to extra effort to ensure that the IP54 rating is maintained, ie that water does not track into the unit via the rear hole. Obviously a bottom entry cable is pretty foolproof with regards water entry

Make sure that EO issue you and the installer with instructions regarding the exact glanding arrangement to be used. If the water proofing into the EO is achieved with a gland, then the hole in the wall needs to be large enough to allow for the gland and the excess cable needs to be pulled back through to the other side of the wall. Then some consideration needs to be given as to the prevention of water and insects through the large hole in the wall. Once all this had been addressed, it's no wonder that installers will opt for bottom entry. But it can be done properly from the rear (yes, mine done this way, took a bit of effort).

Note, a dollop of sealant around a cable entry is not an acceptable method of maintaining the IP rating.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks DrEskimo, yours looks great.
I think you mean mine?

Yes they put the cable through the wall behind and ran it internally in the garage then out to the meter.

Why have such a neat plug and then have messy wiring. Ruins the clean design.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I think you mean mine?

Yes they put the cable through the wall behind and ran it internally in the garage then out to the meter.

Ha yea not mine, but mine does look very similar!

I did buy mine outright, as it's installed at my parents currently, not my house. I live in a terraced house so no charger for me until I move.... :(

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oops yes, I meant your photo dommorton!

Many thanks freddym, I can see why the installer took the easier way, and I didn't ask, just assumed it would be as per the EO website photos.

·
Founder of EO Charging
47 Posts
I had an EO Mini installed on Wednesday, and I didn't think to ask at the time (maybe a mistake?), but can the cables enter the rear of the unit, rather than the bottom as per my install carried out by EV Charging Solutions?

The photos on the EO website don't have the 2 cables entering from below so I'm wondering if I've messed up by not asking for something. See photos attached of the install (please mind the garage mess!). Honestly its not as neat as I was hoping, and the installer wasn't able to drill through the concrete garage floor or drive to install the earth rod somewhere better than behind the garage on the patio. Also the EO Mini itself is pretty badly scratched so I complained to EV Charging Solutions which are hopefully going to sort something out.

I'm mainly asking about the rear cable entry as in around 6 months the garage/passage/driveway arrangement will all be removed and changed due to a large extension, so I'd like to get the install as clean as possible then.
Good afternoon,

Great to hear that you went for the EO Mini as your home charger! We're sorry to hear that the unit was damaged upon installed, can you confirm whether or not this has been resolved with EV Charging Solutions? If not, please contact me directly on [email protected].

In terms of cable entry, the EO Mini has been designed for cable entry in the bottom of the enclosure but we're aware that a number of customers opt for the rear. We apologise that this was not made clear on our website and we are working to update imagery to ensure future customers do not face a similar issue.

We put high value on customer feedback and so we're grateful that you flagged this issue you to us! Other than the confusion with cable entry, is your EO Mini performing well?

If there's anything you want to discuss further or want support when relocating the charger then please contact [email protected]. Happy charging!

Best,
Miles Freeman

·
Founder of EO Charging
47 Posts
I think you mean mine?

Good point Dom, we've taken this on board! Our design and product team is working in the background to ensure that the installation/wiring on future versions of EO Mini is as discreet as the unit.

We're a young, but ambitious company, and will continue to action as much customer feedback as possible. Feel free to contact me directly on [email protected] if you would be interested to take part in product feedback sessions.

Many thanks,
Miles Freeman

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good afternoon,

Great to hear that you went for the EO Mini as your home charger! We're sorry to hear that the unit was damaged upon installed, can you confirm whether or not this has been resolved with EV Charging Solutions? If not, please contact me directly on [email protected].

In terms of cable entry, the EO Mini has been designed for cable entry in the bottom of the enclosure but we're aware that a number of customers opt for the rear. We apologise that this was not made clear on our website and we are working to update imagery to ensure future customers do not face a similar issue.

We put high value on customer feedback and so we're grateful that you flagged this issue you to us! Other than the confusion with cable entry, is your EO Mini performing well?

If there's anything you want to discuss further or want support when relocating the charger then please contact [email protected]. Happy charging!

Best,
Miles Freeman
Thanks Miles, I appreciate your reply.

The unit is still damaged, I have not heard anything more from EV Charging Solutions, however I have not chased it as I have been rather busy recently.

The EO Mini is performing as expected, although a minor comment would be the LED light isn't that easy to see as the bulb looks to be quite far back within the unit, so I have to bend down and look inside to check the status. Again just a minor comment but as you asked... :)

·
Founder of EO Charging
47 Posts
Thanks Miles, I appreciate your reply.

The unit is still damaged, I have not heard anything more from EV Charging Solutions, however I have not chased it as I have been rather busy recently.

The EO Mini is performing as expected, although a minor comment would be the LED light isn't that easy to see as the bulb looks to be quite far back within the unit, so I have to bend down and look inside to check the status. Again just a minor comment but as you asked... :)
We will chase this on your behalf - no one wants to see a damaged EO Mini! 😢Could you drop me an email on [email protected] with your contact details so that our Support team can resolve this? If you could attach some photos that would be really helpful.

Useful feedback on the LED, thank you! I'll feed this in to our product development team.

Enjoy the sunshine!
Miles

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We will chase this on your behalf - no one wants to see a damaged EO Mini! 😢Could you drop me an email on [email protected] with your contact details so that our Support team can resolve this? If you could attach some photos that would be really helpful.

Useful feedback on the LED, thank you! I'll feed this in to our product development team.

Enjoy the sunshine!
Miles
Email sent, cheers :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
My son had one of those installed about six weeks ago. It doesn't work on my Hyundai Kona and it doesn't work on his Tesla Model 3. Still doesn't. He has spoken of calling in a favour from a friend who works at OLEV.

·
Founder of EO Charging
47 Posts
My son had one of those installed about six weeks ago. It doesn't work on my Hyundai Kona and it doesn't work on his Tesla Model 3. Still doesn't. He has spoken of calling in a favour from a friend who works at OLEV.
Good afternoon,

Can I suggest that you contact our support team first to see if we can identify the issue? Please call us on +44 (0)333 7720383 or [email protected] - we'd be happy to support in getting an installer out to you to resolve this.

Many thanks,
Charlotte

·
Registered
4 Posts

I install at least half of all our EO Mini’s with rear cable entry. When done right there should be no problem at all.....there looks to be better options for the armoured for sure in the passage way and the Earth spike cable and spike installation generally?!? it looks like a temp supply I’m afraid to say......I would advise trying to get some kind of management round from the installers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts