Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I chose the EO mini Pro as my home charger which is mounted on a post adjacent to my parking bay. I had to get a WiFi extender at the front of my house for the signal to reach.

I'm on Octopus Go so tell it via JuiceNet to only charge overnight. Outaide of these times, regardless of charge level, it has intermittent periods where it is starting/stopping the charge for seconds at a time.

Eg

10:37pm charging has begun
10:37pm charging has stopped
10:38 pm chargimg has started
Etc...

This wouldn't be so bad except for the horn blip the Ampera makes when charging begins which is pissing me and the neighbours off.

I have contact EO support and they said it could either be weak wifi or the car itself requesting the charge for battery temperature regulation. I think the product is faulty but need to be sure the Ampera isn't requesting the charging.

Does anyone's amp do something similiar when plugged in?

Cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Miniman. I did have some trouble connecting the Mini Pro to WiFi recently when I switched broadband provider. Had to do the whole setup thing using the EO unit’s hot spot etc. Could not get it to see the new WiFi router until I cleared all the possible obstructions between the router and the wall charger (I’m old school...). Since then I recall one, possibly two, instances where I have had a notification from EV JuiceNet that charging had started and quickly stopped when not expecting it. Because it was only a couple of times I ignored it but will keep an eye on it now and let you know. This never happened while I was on BT in over a year of using the EO unit so maybe the Vodafone router is weaker.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I've only ever noticed this on the Ampera when the mains voltage drops too low. I have an OVMS connected to mine, and can see the voltage. If it gets below somewhere around 205v the charging stops.
Now if the voltage drop is due to the load the car is pulling, then once charging stops, the main voltage will rise back up again to nearer 220/230v depending on your area, which triggers charging to restart.
You could test this by setting a reduced charge rate on the Ampera but since you're not charging from the granny lead you can't do this.

I experienced this when trying to charge on the granny lead at 10A from a ring main that was in use with a washer, dishwasher and tumble dryer. Stopping one of the appliances, or reducing the rate on the Ampera to 6A solved the problem. Now I only every use the granny charger when no other appliances are in use on that ring main.

Without an OVMS or other means of reading the voltage at the charge point, you won't be able to determine if this is the problem, or if it's something completely different, but I hope this might help a bit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Perhaps I'm being a little simplistic here, but if you're on Octopus Go (cheap 00:30 to 04:30?) then why not just configure the Ampera to only take charge after 00:30, as it will rarely be still charging after 04:30, even when completely empty (and even then only for half an hour at most)? Wouldn't that save all the faffing around with the "smart" charger? You can obviously override the car to take charge immediately, either by selecting in-car, or doing the plug-in, plug-out, plug back in - all within 10 seconds. Apologies if I missed something :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm now on the Octopus Agile tariff and I have Home Assistant running for which a clever chappie has written a routine which identifies the start time of the cheapest x hour period so you can turn on your car charger automatically using a WiFi switch (or contactor) without having to even set it in the car. Useless if you are on Go but quite handy for Agile. I've tested it using other stuff like my dishwasher and it works a treat so I've ordered a contactor with which to switch the car charger.

However I do need to prevent the horn beeping. I found a workaround somewhere here which i briefly tested and seemed to work but I can't remember how it went now. I think you plugged in the cable for a few minutes before putting power on it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My charger has a timer, but I just use the car's in built one. Far easier than buggering around with WiFi and crap Chinese written Android apps.
Fair point, the charge point still delivers the juice without any need for WiFi access!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm now on the Octopus Agile tariff and I have Home Assistant running for which a clever chappie has written a routine which identifies the start time of the cheapest x hour period so you can turn on your car charger automatically using a WiFi switch (or contactor) without having to even set it in the car. Useless if you are on Go but quite handy for Agile. I've tested it using other stuff like my dishwasher and it works a treat so I've ordered a contactor with which to switch the car charger.

However I do need to prevent the horn beeping. I found a workaround somewhere here which i briefly tested and seemed to work but I can't remember how it went now. I think you plugged in the cable for a few minutes before putting power on it.

HandyAndy to the rescue!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm now on the Octopus Agile tariff and I have Home Assistant running for which a clever chappie has written a routine which identifies the start time of the cheapest x hour period so you can turn on your car charger automatically using a WiFi switch (or contactor) without having to even set it in the car. Useless if you are on Go but quite handy for Agile. I've tested it using other stuff like my dishwasher and it works a treat so I've ordered a contactor with which to switch the car charger. ...
I'm on Agile and also interested in automating this. At the moment I have a Sonoff wifi relay that I use to manually open and close the charge-sense wire (probably not called that!) inside my Pod Point charger, and I have it set via the Ewelink app to switch on/off 00:30/05:30 - but can be over-ridden at any time remotely, or via a button. The Ampera used to make a warning noise accompanied by a message that it couldn't charge, but I found a menu option to disable the alarm and it seems happy to have the ability to charge switched on and off by my wee relay thingy now, but I'd like to fully automate it to close the relay for at least 4.5hrs at the best half-hourly Agile rate each day. I can tinker with a Raspberry Pi and add a relay to that instead for use with Home Assistant. Any links to how to do this? Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the EO Mini Pro and I use BT Fibre for my WiFi. I have the EDF equivalent of Octopus Go. I use the Juicenet App to set the charge schedule in line with the EDF off peak periods. It works fine for me. Much simpler than the inbuilt Audi charge scheduling in the car. I have not had any intermittent spontaneous charging that you describe. If you find that this is due to your choice of broadband provider do let us all know as it may encourage us to stick with BT or perhaps avoid Vodafone. Thanks
Hello

I chose the EO mini Pro as my home charger which is mounted on a post adjacent to my parking bay. I had to get a WiFi extender at the front of my house for the signal to reach.

I'm on Octopus Go so tell it via JuiceNet to only charge overnight. Outaide of these times, regardless of charge level, it has intermittent periods where it is starting/stopping the charge for seconds at a time.

Eg

Etc...

This wouldn't be so bad except for the horn blip the Ampera makes when charging begins which is pissing me and the neighbours off.

I have contact EO support and they said it could either be weak wifi or the car itself requesting the charge for battery temperature regulation. I think the product is faulty but need to be sure the Ampera isn't requesting the charging.

Cheers
r th
Hello

Eg

Etc...

Cheers

·
Registered
401 Posts
Krazyponk...

I have a Pi 3 (3A I think) which is dedicated Home Assistant, here's how to do it that way (though you can use docker but that seemed more complex).

The SONOFF switches aren't natively supported but you can do it by following the instructions here. There is an alternative module but I tried it and found this one easier (and I think this is more supported).

Then you can use Octoblock here to find your best overnight (or whatever) times and set your switches. What it does is find the cheapest contiguous block. What it won't do is find the cheapest non-contiguous half hours. I'm sure something will be along soon which does! You can configure it to find what you want, so I also get the cheapest 2 hr block for the dishwasher.

I had no knowledge of this environment and admittedly it took me some time to get it all going but I've managed it (reasonably recently) and would be happy to try to assist where I can.

NB I've seen warnings that SONOFF and other cheap stuff really isn't good enough quality to rely on when in a demanding environment so I am about to implement a contactor which will switch the car charger power on and off, under control of the SONOFF switch. However it looks like you are already doing something similar. I have a number of different models of SONOFF switches in my box so will likely go with either a MINI or the USB one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Krazyponk...

I have a Pi 3 (3A I think) which is dedicated Home Assistant, here's how to do it that way (though you can use docker but that seemed more complex). ...................... However it looks like you are already doing something similar. I have a number of different models of SONOFF switches in my box so will likely go with either a MINI or the USB one.
Thanks so much for all that information, Smokie. I'll check it out later (when the other half's in bed!). I've been using the little SonOff Basic and S26 WiFi switches all over the house for a while, and they seem to be pretty reliable, as long as your WiFi doesn't keep dropping out! I'm sure I'll be in touch for more advice shortly :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts