Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but not sure where else to post.

Question: Do installations of ev chargers at home require additional costs for an earth rod?

I've just had a contractor from Elmtronics (through the EDF ev scheme) to install an EO Mini Pro. All fine and agreed the costs of installation for the charger, paid with the OLEV voucher, however when the contractor has turned up, they want an additional £120 for installation of an earth rod.

They say it is because now it is not a standard installation as the driveway is paved and they need to install the earth rod at least 1m away from the foundations of the house, but they knew it was paved as they have the photos so why the extra?

If this wasn't a standard installation then why take the money and the voucher then turn up and ask for more money?

Do all installers charge this extra costs? Who would you recommend instead - my neighbours have a chargemaster installed and they have an earth rod right next to their property less then 30cm away.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Considering the cost for a 5/8 4ft rod, that you will need 1m earth cable and a earth clip that I would be embarrassed if would take me more than 10min to fit it.

Labout £50/hr
rod £7
clip £5
cable £1

even if they charge you 1hr I would say that you're being conned...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Husoi - I am thinking the same thing.

Also, just to mention that the meter box is already outside so no need to go into the house for the installation.

Can the EO Mini Pro be earthed to something in the box e.g. I see the yellow/green cable here, so will it still need an earth rod?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Considering the cost for a 5/8 4ft rod, that you will need 1m earth cable and a earth clip that I would be embarrassed if would take me more than 10min to fit it.

Labout £50/hr
rod £7
clip £5
cable £1

even if they charge you 1hr I would say that you're being conned...

Hi All,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but not sure where else to post.

Question: Do installations of ev chargers at home require additional costs for an earth rod?

I've just had a contractor from Elmtronics (through the EDF ev scheme) to install an EO Mini Pro. All fine and agreed the costs of installation for the charger, paid with the OLEV voucher, however when the contractor has turned up, they want an additional £120 for installation of an earth rod.

They say it is because now it is not a standard installation as the driveway is paved and they need to install the earth rod at least 1m away from the foundations of the house, but they knew it was paved as they have the photos so why the extra?

If this wasn't a standard installation then why take the money and the voucher then turn up and ask for more money?

Do all installers charge this extra costs? Who would you recommend instead - my neighbours have a chargemaster installed and they have an earth rod right next to their property less then 30cm away.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards,
as PME (protective multiple earthing) cannot be used externally, an earth rod was allways going to be needed as far as the regulations stand at the moment, so it should have been priced into the installation costs.. and explained to you prior to installation.. check your paperwork, then contest it..
gary

·
Registered
149 Posts
If they knew your installation was outside, the earth rod should have been factored into the quote. Sounds to me as if they made a mistake which they want you to pay over the odds for.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all - I've turned the contractor away - cancelled the installation and asked for the money back. It sounds to me like this a way for them to make extra money with the unsuspecting consumer who may just pay it to get the work done.

side question: I'm probably going to have issues getting the OLEV voucher reissued?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Thanks all - I've turned the contractor away - cancelled the installation and asked for the money back. It sounds to me like this a way for them to make extra money with the unsuspecting consumer who may just pay it to get the work done.

side question: I'm probably going to have issues getting the OLEV voucher reissued?
Is the voucher named to a specific company?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure - since we are with EDF for electricity we signed up with their ev team - a link was provided by them:

We paid EDF and I believe they then paid Elmtronics the installation company who then got out a sepate contractor.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Elmtronics have said the contractor is asking for additional payment since it's not a standard installation as he needs to take up the paving bricks to install the 1m cable. I'm waiting for EDF to get back to me.

£120 to take up the paving, install the earth rod and cable 1m away from the foundations of the house - apparently this makes it non standard.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
£120 to take up the paving, install the earth rod and cable 1m away from the foundations of the house - apparently this makes it non standard.
I'd be out with a crowbar and after 5 mins lifting stones, would be going "Is it standard now, you f***ers?"

·
Registered
858 Posts
The OLEV contribution can only be claimed once the work is complete, signed off and registered with the buildings regs. Clearly this hasn't happened so that isn't an issue. Whether EDF have paid the contractor I don't know, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
It sounds to me like this a way for them to make extra money with the unsuspecting consumer who may just pay it to get the work done.
This is why I bought a 2nd hand charger and installed it myself. Any time I contract a firm to do anything, (even if they have been round to see the job) the guy who shows up to do the work will try to say there are further charges for unforseen things. So far this has happened here for roofing, decorating, paving, building, and don't get me started on my rental places! :)

Tradesmen will always try to jack up the price once the job has been agreed. I believe it's their nature.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I know I'm in a "special" place, as a construction estimator I know very well how these small companies try to dig for the extra buck.

Hence the importance to agree a final price and stick with it.

Any agreement to be signed or verbally agreed should state that the installation MUST be fully compliant with the law, that all necessary and accessory works to comply with the law and yo be according to good practice will be included in the price and that, unless there is a request by the costumer for a change of scope, no claims for additional charges will be considered.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Whilst I'm competent at most general electrics I'd love to be able to do this myself but I'm not qualified and wouldn't want to mess around with the mains. Kudos to you if you have done this.

Completely agree Husoi - hence why I've refused to pay this extra amount since it was not in the original agreement and I don't believe moving the earthing rod 1m away from the house can cost an additional £120.

I'm thinking of contacting these guys - Grant funded charging units, marina pedestals, hook-ups & power solutions

·
Registered
858 Posts
The problem is exasperated by the repeated subcontracting of the work. EDF only want the sale, but by the time it gets to the bloke doing the work he has the price cut to the bone based on a different interpretation of what is standard.
I'm willing to bet that EDF didn't do a site survey or get photos of all the locations. If they did they missed that it's a PME system and the paviors.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Agree, don't think anyone actually looks at the photos properly.

I have the outlander phev so hoping that would be ok.

The other option is the standard charge master.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts