Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked but I have had a look and couldn't find anything.
I have recently switched to Octopus Energy, and they offer a discount for the EO mini pro. Installs from £369 for the non-tethered option which is my preference.

I've received a quote from a company called McNally Electrical Yorkshire, subcontracted by EO, I assume. I live in Manchester so was expecting a local installer.

The quote included the following item in the quote:
MATT-E SP-EVCP-R 32AMP RCBO Voltage Protection Device (THIS IS IN REPLACEMENT OF AN EARTH ELECTRODE) at a cost of £110.00 ex vat
Total install cost = £491.00.

I then requested a quote to include the earth electrode instead of the matt-e box because I've read they're not as safe. I was then told by McNally that due to the driveway being hard ground there will be an additional charge coming to £100 to install it. Total cost = £459

I would've thought that most people have hard ground for their drive ways, is it normal for them to ask for this additional payment or am I right in arguing that this should be classed as a standard install?
Can I ask that EO contact an alternative subcontractor? I don't really want to pay a premium for the MATT-E box to just make the electricians life easier.

HHas anyone else taken this route through octopus to get an EO mini Pro installed? If so do you mind sharing the cost and if you faced anything similar?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi I believe if you charge outside you need an earth rod if your charger is in the garage and you charge whilst in the garage you don’t. I was going to get an EO charger until I got the quote I did not use EO so was bit more expensive. I decided to go with Zappi as has the earth detection built in

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is your charger outside? Did EO originally quote you any extra cost for drilling an earth rod into hard ground?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I paid £300 for EO mini pro including Earth rod. I got this via EDF who contracted to Elmtronics who subcontracted to Eastpoint. I was forewarned that there would be £50 extra charge to drill through a hard surface to embed the Earth rod but, they could route the earth out of the other side of garage to find soft earth at no cost. On the day Eastpoint drilled the rod into floor of garage without extra cost. This made it a really neat job. I was v happy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not anywhere close by to the location of where I want the charge point installed, the garden has grass but there's paving and tarmac between the two locations

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I paid £300 for EO mini pro including Earth rod. I got this via EDF who contracted to Elmtronics who subcontracted to Eastpoint. I was forewarned that there would be £50 extra charge to drill through a hard surface to embed the Earth rod but, they could route the earth out of the other side of garage to find soft earth at no cost. On the day Eastpoint drilled the rod into floor of garage without extra cost. This made it a really neat job. I was v happy.
That sounds reasonable to me. The £100 quoted by McNally to drill through hard ground seems quite extortionate to me. I'm going to ring eo and request a second quote, the octopus discount in the quote is £83.23.. I'd rather have the earth rod than the MATT-E box

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
You may find it increasingly hard to get an installer willing to fit an Earth rod following the recent amendment to the 18th Edition regs which encourages use of devices like the MATT-e box. However, I would stick to your guns and shop around as Earth rods are not specifically ruled out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts