Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a mini Pro unit fitted. Connected it to the Juicenet app without issue but the functionality is quite poor. It's possible to see voltage and frequency, I can set a start and end time for the charge and I can manually start and stop the charge. That's all that actually works. It shows zero amperage and zero power while charging so it thinks nothing is actually going into the battery resulting in a full charge instead of calculating an end time for a target charge amount as it's supposed to. History is useless because of the zero amp issue as are all the stats screens.

Just wondering if this is a known limitation with the way the EO unit interacts with juicenet or if there's something wrong at my end!

·
We design and manufacture EV smart chargers
66 Posts
Had a mini Pro unit fitted. Connected it to the Juicenet app without issue but the functionality is quite poor. It's possible to see voltage and frequency, I can set a start and end time for the charge and I can manually start and stop the charge. That's all that actually works. It shows zero amperage and zero power while charging so it thinks nothing is actually going into the battery resulting in a full charge instead of calculating an end time for a target charge amount as it's supposed to. History is useless because of the zero amp issue as are all the stats screens.

Just wondering if this is a known limitation with the way the EO unit interacts with juicenet or if there's something wrong at my end!
Good morning,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and sorry to hear that you're having problems with your EO Mini Pro. We're keen to get this resolved for you as soon as possible, can I ask that you contact our support team on [email protected] and provide them with your product serial number.

This issue has been flagged to our support team and they are anticipating your contact this morning. If there's anything I can do to support in the meantime then please contact me here on Speak EV.

Many thanks,
Miles

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorted.

Many thanks to Jack on support who identified a faulty unit, arranged for a replacement to be delivered and also arranged for the original installer to come and swap the units - all in record time.

All working as expected now :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same charger, supplied through EDF - I think mine is also struggling to communicate with the App as 1 in 4 plug ins don’t charge the vehicle, so I come down in the morning, after the schedule is meant to have charged it, but it has done nothing! So the car is unuseable! Has created charge anxiety!! Did yours fail to communicate with the App properly?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine always communicated with the app. The problem mine had was that it wasn't reading the amount of current used, it was reporting a full charge taking a few milliamps. I've stopped using the app to charge though, my Leaf doesn't like the charger stopping a charge. I now just guess and use the in-car timer. The only use I find for the app now, with my leaf, is keeping track of the amount of electricity used.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for coming back to me. It’s really annoying that it doesn’t seem to work - I want it to charge in economy 7 window overnight but also need the car to charge periodically when out and about - the app should be able to control the charger properly. Despite the charger/app saying it’s waiting for the charge window, it’s still seems to start/stop charging whilst waiting for 00:30 - shouldn’t be this complicated and unreliable

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Read about the issues myenergi have with the Zappi before you ask EO to write their own software. I expect they have partnered with Juice Box so they get a more reliable system.
Issues need reporting back to EO and Juice Box so they can look into the problems and come up with a fix. My experience of the Zappi is that these chargers and cars are very much in development and don't work together smoothly yet. Myenergi are working hard at getting problems sorted but it is taking a long time, I expect EO and Juice Box are doing the same.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Read about the issues myenergi have with the Zappi before you ask EO to write their own software. I expect they have partnered with Juice Box so they get a more reliable system.
Issues need reporting back to EO and Juice Box so they can look into the problems and come up with a fix. My experience of the Zappi is that these chargers and cars are very much in development and don't work together smoothly yet. Myenergi are working hard at getting problems sorted but it is taking a long time, I expect EO and Juice Box are doing the same.
Exactly this. I know I work in the industry, but it's important to be honest. Most of the charging units themselves are very good, but you're right there are some teething problems between the apps and the cars themselves.

I know Tesla's have had specific issues with smart chargers too and that seems to be across the board.

It's still a new industry and I think everyone from vehicle manufacturers, charger manufacturers, software developers, installers, and other providers are learning all the time!

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Thanks for coming back to me. It’s really annoying that it doesn’t seem to work - I want it to charge in economy 7 window overnight but also need the car to charge periodically when out and about - the app should be able to control the charger properly. Despite the charger/app saying it’s waiting for the charge window, it’s still seems to start/stop charging whilst waiting for 00:30 - shouldn’t be this complicated and unreliable
I've just read another of your posts and you mention you have an e-Golf, that could be the issue. I have a Zappi and the e-Golf is one of the cars that has caused myenergi many issues, or doesn't seem to play well with smart chargers.
If I use the timers on the car and leave the charge point in dumb charger mode it works 99. 9% of the time. If I leave the car to charge immediately and use the timers on the Zappi then it chargers correctly 90% of the time.
If I try to use both timers so they coincide or overlap them the Golf gets very confused, although it does normally charge but not necessarily at the correct time.

It would probably be worth asking EO if they have any specific advice for the Golf, if the Zappi has issues with it other smart chargers may do as well.

Mostly I use the timers in the car and leave the charge point in dumb mode. When needing to charge while out and about the buttons to the left of the charge port on the car turns the timers on or off so the timer is easy to override when you are changing away from home.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think it's more of an issue with the JuiceNet app than the charger itself. Fingers crossed EO are working on their own app!
I hope so - very happy to have the new tech but it does need to be reliable - hopefully EO might respond to me - I might be doing something wrong! Not a problem that we find issues in new tech, just that we need to see that they are being resolved once found within a Beta environment.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I hope so - very happy to have the new tech but it does need to be reliable - hopefully EO might respond to me - I might be doing something wrong! Not a problem that we find issues in new tech, just that we need to see that they are being resolved once found within a Beta environment.
I've been using the timer on my Zappi for the christmas hols and seeing multiple time short time slots to make best use of the octopus agile tariff. I pressed the button near the charge port on the car to switch to immediate charge mode and normally the car stays in that setting.

The night before last the Golf charged for the first half hour time slot but didn't charge during the later timer slot.
Last night I set a timer on the Zappi to start at 22:30 but the Golf didn't start to charge so I went out to have a look. When I unlocked the Golf the button was selected for the timer in the car to be active and as soon as I pressed the button for immediate charge the car started charging.
It appears that the Golf changed from immediate charge to timed charge by itself in between two times set on my home charger.

Not sure if this helps you but I've deselect all the timers in the car so it can't do the same again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts