Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks, this is helpful. So do you know what the smallest CU would be?

I've seen this one Single unpopulated, so all I'll need to get us a MCB - do you think this will work?
It’s a bit more than just an MCB depending on which charge point model is being installed. You’ll need an RCD - either a type-a if the charge point has 6mA DC detection built in or a type-b if it hasn’t got the 6mA detection to make the install compliant with the 18th edition IET wiring regulations. Many of the standard RCDs found, including within an RCBO, are type AC and not suitable.

I’d leave it to the installer to quote on the additional works such as the consumer unit and earth rod if needed. The smallest consumer unit size may have to be a 3-way but could possibly be smaller or even larger depending on the RCD and MCB arrangement required.

I think the standard OLEV install for some makes like Pod Point include an additional consumer unit whereas it’s not included with EO and is additional work.

A couple of examples of mini consumer unit in meter boxes to look at:

Are EO able to add a new consumer unit into a detached garage or is this more a sparky job?
The installer should be a fully qualified sparky so it should be one and the same but you can and probably should get quotes from other sparks who are used to carrying out EV charge point installs so know all the requirements.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It’s a bit more than just an MCB depending on which charge point model is being installed. You’ll need an RCD - either a type-a if the charge point has 6mA DC detection built in or a type-b if it hasn’t got the 6mA detection to make the install compliant with the 18th edition IET wiring regulations. Many of the standard RCDs found, including within an RCBO, are type AC and not suitable.

I’d leave it to the installer to quote on the additional works such as the consumer unit and earth rod if needed. The smallest consumer unit size may have to be a 3-way but could possibly be smaller or even larger depending on the RCD and MCB arrangement required.

I think the standard OLEV install for some makes like Pod Point include an additional consumer unit whereas it’s not included with EO and is additional work.

A couple of examples of mini consumer unit in meter boxes to look at:

The installer should be a fully qualified sparky so it should be one and the same but you can and probably should get quotes from other sparks who are used to carrying out EV charge point installs so know all the requirements.
Amazing, thank you!

·
We design and manufacture EV smart chargers
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I am having trouble with the charger and app at the moment - it’s the smallest and neatest charger on the market but time and again I am coming down to a car that hasn’t charged in the economy 7 window set up in the TOU settings - hasn’t charged at all...... When I plug the eGolf in, I am sent the message by Juicenet telling me that it’s waiting for the TOU period to charge, then it tries a few times between then and 0030 to charge the vehicle, only to stop charging again a few seconds later. The installer has been for the standard follow up check and all was well - I explained the issues I am having he was going to speak to Juicenet and they would come back to me..... a month later, nothing as yet!

Don’t suffer from range anxiety, seem to be being hit by charge anxiety!
Hi Gakg, thanks for your message and bringing this to our attention! We're sorry to hear the JuiceNet app is causing problems with your charger and that you are yet to receive support from eMotorWerks.

Can I suggest you contact our Customer Support team on 0333 77 20 383 or [email protected]? We’ll look to get your charging sessions up and running as soon as possible! In the meantime, if you need anything further, please let us know.

Best,
Charlotte

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
When you get multiple quotes check that they are like for like and query any differences with both firms. Often quotes will assume that you don't need an earth rod and then add that as an extra during the install. Likewise check whether any external cable will be armoured - it's not a requirement and down to preference in most situations. Again the separate consumer unit is likewise unless your existing one is full. Finally, check whether you need some form of restriction on the charger if you have other high current devices or a low supply limit.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Untethered gives you more flexibility - you can always use other leads if your one gets damaged and sometimes tethered units don't work with Tesla. Finally, if you get a visitor with a type 1 (say original Leaf) they can charge with their lead.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Untethered gives you more flexibility - you can always use other leads if your one gets damaged and sometimes tethered units don't work with Tesla. Finally, if you get a visitor with a type 1 (say original Leaf) they can charge with their lead.
Thanks, that's useful.

Does the untethered version come with another cable?

·
Registered
108 Posts
No, the untethered chargers generally don't come with a cable. So you'll need to use the one with your vehicle if it comes with one at all.

Even with the lack of a cable, I personally prefer untethered. As said above, more flexible and just looks neater when not in use.

·
Registered
46 Posts
No, the untethered chargers generally don't come with a cable. So you'll need to use the one with your vehicle if it comes with one at all.

Even with the lack of a cable, I personally prefer untethered. As said above, more flexible and just looks neater when not in use.
Do you find it a pain having to put a wet cable away at times?

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
No, it hasn't happened yet. I dare say the cable is dry more often than a tethered unit would be because it's not outside all the time. If it rains, the cable will get wet regardless of whether it's tethered or not.

I am lucky in that my charger, and most of the cable, is under the porch area. But even in blustery conditions it genuinely hasn't been an issue. Takes all of 5 seconds more to plug in :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Charlotte from EO!
When you're getting an EO Mini Pro installed, a 3-year subscription is automatically included for free and after that period there will be a £2.25 monthly charge to access your charging data.
I've also never seen this mentioned before. Can more detailed be shared about what is and isn't included for free after 3 years? Having had another look at the EO website this is not mentioned.

To respond to your feedback on the JuiceNet app - please note that we're reviewing our smart charging product range and pricing scheme, meaning that we'll be introducing a number of new charging features over the next year, available for customers with a new monthly plan.

Behind the scenes, we're also developing an updated version of the EO Mini Pro - with a new app that will suit all EV drivers, including European users.
Again, as I'm considering installing an EO mini pro I'd like more information about these points too if you have it? I'd be pretty annoyed if I installed the physical unit in the next couple of months to learn that I can't update it with the new features you are hinting at. Will the new features be tied to the updated version of the EO mini pro?

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Hi Charlotte from EO!

I've also never seen this mentioned before. Can more detailed be shared about what is and isn't included for free after 3 years? Having had another look at the EO website this is not mentioned.

Again, as I'm considering installing an EO mini pro I'd like more information about these points too if you have it? I'd be pretty annoyed if I installed the physical unit in the next couple of months to learn that I can't update it with the new features you are hinting at. Will the new features be tied to the updated version of the EO mini pro?
Hi ScouseSandwich,

The monthly subscription cost will ensure that the EO Mini Pro’s smart charging capabilities remain unlocked, meaning that if after year 3 you decide to not pay the subscription, you won’t be able to use certain features e.g. charge scheduling or get access to your previous charging data.

The current EO Mini Pro communicates with the JuiceNet app (operated by eMotorWerk’s) and we are unable to confirm when updates are scheduled for their app. That said, we are working in the background on an updated EO Mini Pro which will be powered by our own smartphone app & back-office platform. It is this charger that will have the new smart charging features such as the ability for drivers to remotely lock their charger.

We are yet to confirm a launch date but we’ll do our best to keep you updated over the coming months.

Best,
Charlotte

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi ScouseSandwich,

The monthly subscription cost will ensure that the EO Mini Pro’s smart charging capabilities remain unlocked, meaning that if after year 3 you decide to not pay the subscription, you won’t be able to use certain features e.g. charge scheduling or get access to your previous charging data.

The current EO Mini Pro communicates with the JuiceNet app (operated by eMotorWerk’s) and we are unable to confirm when updates are scheduled for their app. That said, we are working in the background on an updated EO Mini Pro which will be powered by our own smartphone app & back-office platform. It is this charger that will have the new smart charging features such as the ability for drivers to remotely lock their charger.

We are yet to confirm a launch date but we’ll do our best to keep you updated over the coming months.

Best,
Charlotte
Hi Charlotte,

Thank you for your reply. I think this is a fairly cheeky charge to add on 3 years down the line. Especially as EO is very quiet about it. EO advertises that the product does charge scheduling. The customer is paying for the product as advertised, so what is the added cost 3 years later adding for the customer? It's not adding anything it just taking away. I buy a Sonos speaker, it comes with an app to operate the speaker, the app can schedule turning on music. I don't get charged after three years to continue to be able to use my speaker. If Sonos develop cool new features and puts them behind a premium app then fine, it's my choice to access the new features or not. If Sonos took away the ability for me to use my speaker without a continued payment then I'd sell the speaker.

I was on the verge this week of having an EO mini pro installed (survey done, paperwork submitted) but I think I'll do some more shopping around.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Sadly a fairly typical attitude within the software industry, and effectively extending to other hardware such as smartphones where you cease getting OS updates after a while meaning that functionality decrease rapidly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think the point is that a charge point isn't service, it's a product. I could schedule charging with a couple of £ timer plug and the 3 pin charge cable. I don't believe the feature is something that is reasonable to charge a continued subscription for, especially as it is advertised as a feature included within the purchase price and that it is not stated on their website that these features will be locked after 3 years.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I have just had an EO mini pro fitted. Really nice unit, well built. It is untethered, but I leave the cable plugged in (and secured to the wall against theft) when not in use.

Personally, I use the car for charge scheduling, and other than that, don't really care about charge logging.

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Hi Charlotte,

Thank you for your reply. I think this is a fairly cheeky charge to add on 3 years down the line. Especially as EO is very quiet about it. EO advertises that the product does charge scheduling. The customer is paying for the product as advertised, so what is the added cost 3 years later adding for the customer? It's not adding anything it just taking away. I buy a Sonos speaker, it comes with an app to operate the speaker, the app can schedule turning on music. I don't get charged after three years to continue to be able to use my speaker. If Sonos develop cool new features and puts them behind a premium app then fine, it's my choice to access the new features or not. If Sonos took away the ability for me to use my speaker without a continued payment then I'd sell the speaker.

I was on the verge this week of having an EO mini pro installed (survey done, paperwork submitted) but I think I'll do some more shopping around.
Hi ScouseSandwich,

We're sorry to hear that you no longer want to get an EO Mini Pro installed.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the monthly subscription - we're currently reviewing our pricing structure and have taken your comments on board. We'll of course get back to you with an update as soon as possible.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to drop us a note at [email protected].

Best,
Charlotte

41 - 60 of 83 Posts