Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Charlotte,
Is there any update on when the new version of the Pro will be available?
I see that there is currently a deal with Octopus for the EO Mini Smart Home, are there any plans to update the software for that to work with the Agile tariff? Also would the install of that unit be much more expensive as the hub I'd assume would need to be located near the main consumer unit along with the current monitors and a separate communications cable would need to be routed along with the main power cabling?

Steven

·
We design and manufacture EV smart chargers
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Hi Charlotte,
Is there any update on when the new version of the Pro will be available?
I see that there is currently a deal with Octopus for the EO Mini Smart Home, are there any plans to update the software for that to work with the Agile tariff? Also would the install of that unit be much more expensive as the hub I'd assume would need to be located near the main consumer unit along with the current monitors and a separate communications cable would need to be routed along with the main power cabling?

Steven
Hi Stevenh, thanks for getting in touch!

We are yet to confirm a launch date for the updated version of the EO Mini Pro but we’ll do our best to keep you updated over the coming months.

Please note that there's currently no specific plan in place for integrating the EO Mini Smart Home with the Agile Tariff. That said, we've received a number of request from existing customers and have flagged this to the team at Octopus Electric Vehicles.

The EO Mini Smart Home is available at a limited discounted rate of £369 for a universal charger or £429 for a tethered charger. The price includes the OLEV grant and a standard installation that notably includes all electrical connections at the origin of the electrical supply and to both the EO Home Hub and to the EO Mini. Additional cost may be incurred in the case of your installation not meeting the criteria for a standard installation (e.g. extra earth rods needed) and requiring extra work from the installer.

If you'd like to get an EO Mini Smart Home installed, you can begin your OLEV application here but our team of experts will be happy to help at [email protected] if you've any further questions.

Best,
Charlotte

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Stevenh, thanks for getting in touch!

We are yet to confirm a launch date for the updated version of the EO Mini Pro but we’ll do our best to keep you updated over the coming months.

Please note that there's currently no specific plan in place for integrating the EO Mini Smart Home with the Agile Tariff. That said, we've received a number of request from existing customers and have flagged this to the team at Octopus Electric Vehicles.

The EO Mini Smart Home is available at a limited discounted rate of £369 for a universal charger or £429 for a tethered charger. The price includes the OLEV grant and a standard installation that notably includes all electrical connections at the origin of the electrical supply and to both the EO Home Hub and to the EO Mini. Additional cost may be incurred in the case of your installation not meeting the criteria for a standard installation (e.g. extra earth rods needed) and requiring extra work from the installer.

If you'd like to get an EO Mini Smart Home installed, you can begin your OLEV application here but our team of experts will be happy to help at [email protected] if you've any further questions.

Best,
Charlotte
Thanks Charlotte,
Is it possible to arrange for a site survey first as I've had a few different installers around in the last 2 weeks and I'm getting very wide ranging quotes... who do you use for installation in Glasgow?

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Thanks Charlotte,
Is it possible to arrange for a site survey first as I've had a few different installers around in the last 2 weeks and I'm getting very wide ranging quotes... who do you use for installation in Glasgow?
Hi Stevenh,

Site surveys are conducted remotely with this online form - all you have to do is completing the short form with your information and one of our experts will send your quote by email once your charger application is complete.

We've got a number of partners installing in Glasgow and one of them will be attributed to you according to the details in your charger application.

If you'd like to discuss this in further details, drop us a note at [email protected] :)

Best,
Charlotte

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi ScouseSandwich,

We're sorry to hear that you no longer want to get an EO Mini Pro installed.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the monthly subscription - we're currently reviewing our pricing structure and have taken your comments on board. We'll of course get back to you with an update as soon as possible.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to drop us a note at [email protected].

Best,
Charlotte
Hi

Just to add my comments, I'm looking to get a charge point installed very soon but having features that stop working at some point down the line without me paying a monthly subscription would take the Mini Pro off my short list.

Regards
Steve

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I wonder whether EO are being unfairly castigated for being upfront about something that may happen with other providers in the future? Whilst some chargers utilise either your WiFi or require an ethernet connection and hence may not incur a 3G cost, how many have guaranteed that their app (whether in house or externally provided) will remain free of all charges in perpetuity? I suspect that most have not publicly stated a policy, and even if they have done how guaranteed is it not to be changed either by them or future owners and what arrangements are in place if they cease trading? My guess would be that there are not watertight guarantees from any provider, although I look forwards to being proven wrong! :unsure: ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
dk6780 I agree that there's a cost to maintaining an app, even if using WiFi to connect and not 3G. I've been reading that Chargemaster will possibly charge for access to their reporting platform after year 3 too. I would happily use a browser interface to the unit itself if I could view the historic log data and set charge timers, an app is more convenient but if that's the bit that costs then a browser interface will do me.
Steve

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Hi

Just to add my comments, I'm looking to get a charge point installed very soon but having features that stop working at some point down the line without me paying a monthly subscription would take the Mini Pro off my short list.

Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,

If the EO Mini Pro is off your list then we’d recommend you consider the EO Mini Smart Home - our latest home charger powered by our own software and smartphone app (meaning its smart charging capabilities will remain unlocked over time). It also integrates with solar panels so that you can charge your EV with renewable energy.

Best,
Charlotte

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Hi Steve,

If the EO Mini Pro is off your list then we’d recommend you consider the EO Mini Smart Home - our latest home charger powered by our own software and smartphone app (meaning its smart charging capabilities will remain unlocked over time). It also integrates with solar panels so that you can charge your EV with renewable energy.

Best,
Charlotte

Might be worth changing that to "make the most sense" or something a little less judgemental?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Steve,

Best,
Charlotte
Thanks for the information, using your own EO software and app sounds more appealing, it's just a shame that it's £200 more expensive for the Mini Smart Home than the Mini Ppro. I'm not likely to have solar panels in the future as I live in a conservation area so the extra features would be redundant.
Any plans to allow your own software and app on the Mini Pro ?

Steve

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Thanks for the information, using your own EO software and app sounds more appealing, it's just a shame that it's £200 more expensive for the Mini Smart Home than the Mini Ppro. I'm not likely to have solar panels in the future as I live in a conservation area so the extra features would be redundant.
Any plans to allow your own software and app on the Mini Pro?

Steve
Hi Steve,

Totally understand that you might not have plans for solar panels at home, you therefore have two options:
  • Wait for the new EO Mini Pro (which will use our own software), we will do our best to update you on delivery dates
  • Get the EO Mini Smart Home installed and use the promotional offer through Octopus > eo | Octopus Electric vehicles (this uses our software and will benefit from our ongoing software updates).
We hope this helps, we know it’s not an easy decision deciding which charger to go for!

Thanks,
Charlotte

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Steve,

Totally understand that you might not have plans for solar panels at home, you therefore have two options:
  • Wait for the new EO Mini Pro (which will use our own software), we will do our best to update you on delivery dates
  • Get the EO Mini Smart Home installed and use the promotional offer through Octopus > eo | Octopus Electric vehicles (this uses our software and will benefit from our ongoing software updates).
We hope this helps, we know it’s not an easy decision deciding which charger to go for!

Thanks,
Charlotte
Hi

Do you have an estimate for when the new EO Mini Pro might be available, best guess will do, I'm not going to hold you to it. :)
I'll have a look at the Octopus EV tariff too.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Steve,

Use the link and you'll get £50 if you choose to switch. ( I will too!)

However I don't think you need to switch to get the discount. I was offered the discount without having switched.

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Hi

Do you have an estimate for when the new EO Mini Pro might be available, best guess will do, I'm not going to hold you to it. :)
I'll have a look at the Octopus EV tariff too.

Thanks

Steve
Hi Steve,

I’m afraid we’re unable to disclose a launch date at this point as the last thing we want to do is disappoint EV drivers. That being said, we appreciate your interest for the EO Mini Pro and will be sure to drop you a note as soon as its available.

Would you be happy to send us using private message your contact details so we can keep you updated?

Thanks

Best,
Charlotte

·
Registered
35 Posts
Can you confirm if there will be ongoing subscription costs for the EO MIni Smart Home?
Also for the untethered units, what is there to stop someone from unplugging the cable from the socket while your car is charging if there is no locking mechanism, isn't this a safety concern?

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I got an "old" EO Mini Pro installed in November and am interested to know too.
Hi Robtree, thanks for getting in touch!

Unfortunately, the new EO Mini Pro will be built using different hardware and so upgrading older models to the new software will not be possible.
That said, we are reviewing options for customers to upgrade their charger and will share further details with you when available. We hope that helps?

Best,
Charlotte

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Can you confirm if there will be ongoing subscription costs for the EO MIni Smart Home?
Also for the untethered units, what is there to stop someone from unplugging the cable from the socket while your car is charging if there is no locking mechanism, isn't this a safety concern?
Hi Stevenh,

The EO Mini Smart Home is powered by the 'EO Smart Home' app which is free to use, meaning the charger's smart charging capabilities will remain unlocked over time without any subscription fees.

I'm afraid there isn't any locking mechanism in place to prevent people to unplug your cable while charging. If this is something you are concerned about, a tethered unit (with a Type 2 cable) will be the best option for you, as both ends of the cable will remain locked while charging your car.

If you'd like to discuss this in further details, please drop us a note at [email protected] :)

Best,
Charlotte

·
Registered
78 Posts
That said, we are reviewing options for customers to upgrade their charger and will share further details with you when available. We hope that helps?
Hi Charlotte, thanks for your reply. I'll admit that it's a little rough to learn that a new device I had installed only two months ago is becoming obsolete and effectively locked to JuiceNet while the next generation EO Mini Pro moves onto EO's own software.

Has EO considered the possibility that it could be more expensive and wasteful for legacy EO Mini Pro owners to upgrade their hardware than it would be for EO to provide some level of backwards compatibility in the EO app? Or a cut down version of the EO app that plays nicely with the legacy EO Mini Pro. Maybe a firmware upgrade would help.

Legacy EO Mini Pro customers may also be more comfortable in signing up to a post-three-year paid subscription agreement with EO than with Enel X, especially now that EO's move to their own software suggests that the Enel X partnership may be getting phased out. Returning to a zero-cost subscription could then be used by EO as one of a few incentives for customers to upgrade their hardware.

Bit of a brain dump there. In the end it's not a big deal as the JuiceNet app does fine, and upgrades are just the way of the world with technology. As long as things don't go the same way as Sonos :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have only just had my EO Mini Pro charger installed in the last couple of weeks through the EDF deal. The charger will not even be used until mid March when my EV is delivered. I am very happy with the charger and the installation.

However, I'm gutted to now learn that a) It will be obsolete/out-dated before it even gets its first use and b) I'm locked into a future paid for subscription which I don't feel I was aware of at the time of purchase.

Can EO point out where in the sale agreement it states the charge that will be made for a future subscription? If this is stated in the sale agreement it is certainly not very prominent. With this in mind I feel like I may not be the only one that feels this to be unfair and worthy of challenge.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts