Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 83 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had the EO Mini Pro installed. I don't think we can be too annoyed that they are bringing out new hardware and software. This sort of thing happens all the time. They're a business and can't be expected to undermine the current product by telling everyone to wait for the new one.

But I do think the paid-for subscription has been a major faux pas by EO. I wasn't aware of it and I can't remember seeing it anywhere.

With the new hardware on the way, I think it would be fair for current EO customers to retain a free subscription after the three years.

If not, I'm just going to continue ignoring the app and just use my car's scheduling functionality instead.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I guess if your car can provide the scheduling that will at least allow the charger to maintain a useful lifespan without incurring a monthly cost.

I assume that there are no plans for the smart app to block the charger use if the subscription goes unpaid?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm only aware of the post-three-year paid subscription for the JuiceNet app from earlier in this thread:

When you're getting an EO Mini Pro installed, a 3-year subscription is automatically included for free and after that period there will be a £2.25 monthly charge to access your charging data.
I imagine that the TOU (Time of Use) settings and other notifications from the JuiceNet app will continue to work without a paid subscription. It's just the functionality that stores and retrieves charging data from the cloud that costs money. Data transmission, storage and retrieval has to be paid for by someone.

It feels to me like EO needed to get an affordable smart charger to market quickly in order not to miss out on customers who wanted their neat hardware, but who also wanted to benefit from the OLEV grant after the new rules came into force in July 2019. I guess the simplest solution for EO was to partner with Enel X (formerly eMotorWerks) and use their app to control the device.

From the perspective of a growing business, that's not an unreasonable approach for EO to have taken. However, the decision to leave legacy EO Mini Pro customers at the mercy of Enel X when it comes to lifetime support (and subscription pricing) for the JuiceNet software is questionable.

If Enel X were to stop supporting or even deprecate the JuiceNet app, then a lot of legacy EO Mini Pro owners would be looking to EO for help. That's one reason that backwards compatibility in the EO Smart Home app would be a good thing for EO and its customers.

81 - 83 of 83 Posts