Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get the EO Mini Pro (how is the Pro 2 different?) to use with a Zoe (ZE40) and I very much like the fact it has a small profile, it is untethered and it is smart so qualifies for the OLEV grant. I'm asking if anyone out there has had any experience with using this charger. Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
They are good value, and are very well built, but bear in mind that they do not have open PEN fault protection, so either need to be installed as a TT installation, with an earth electrode, or have one of the open PEN fault protection devices included in the supply to the unit. Other than that they are a very neat and tidy box, if you're OK with the faff of using your charging lead all the time. My personal preference is to have a tethered lead charge point, mainly because it saves having to get the lead out of the car and put it back again every time I charge, but I know some people prefer to have the least amount of clutter on view and for them the small amount of additional work in getting the lead out and putting it back may be worthwhile. One thing I wish is that more charge point manufacturers would include hidden tethered cable stowage, like Andersen. On another forum someone made a custom box from powder coated steel, that doubled up as their house name and number and that looked very neat. There could be a market for such cable and charge point stowage solutions I think, for those that have to put the things on the front of their homes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Had one for about a year and a half, no issues, set times on it to coincide with 9pm-7am + Weekend cheap rate tariff, has been faultless so far. Haven't touched any settings since installed. I wanted the small profile so it sits just around the back of the house at the end of the drive and is pretty much invisible. Didn't really want the petrol station forecourt look many of the large tethered chargers seem to be going for!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are good value, and are very well built, but bear in mind that they do not have open PEN fault protection, so either need to be installed as a TT installation, with an earth electrode, or have one of the open PEN fault protection devices included in the supply to the unit. Other than that they are a very neat and tidy box, if you're OK with the faff of using your charging lead all the time. My personal preference is to have a tethered lead charge point, mainly because it saves having to get the lead out of the car and put it back again every time I charge, but I know some people prefer to have the least amount of clutter on view and for them the small amount of additional work in getting the lead out and putting it back may be worthwhile. One thing I wish is that more charge point manufacturers would include hidden tethered cable stowage, like Andersen. On another forum someone made a custom box from powder coated steel, that doubled up as their house name and number and that looked very neat. There could be a market for such cable and charge point stowage solutions I think, for those that have to put the things on the front of their homes.
Thanks for that. I'm going for a Garo G6EV40PME protection unit alongside my consumer unit so that I can dispense with the potentially troublesome earth electrode knowing that Zoes can be a bit fussy about earthing.

Regarding the fact that is is untethered, this was covered in another question a few days ago and the charger cable will be a 'fixed' but I have the option to unplug it and use the car's charging cable on the odd occasion when I need to. I know about the faf involved using the car's cable for home charging from other users but that is all covered.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had one for about a year and a half, no issues, set times on it to coincide with 9pm-7am + Weekend cheap rate tariff, has been faultless so far. Haven't touched any settings since installed. I wanted the small profile so it sits just around the back of the house at the end of the drive and is pretty much invisible. Didn't really want the petrol station forecourt look many of the large tethered chargers seem to be going for!
Thanks for the feedback on how it is working for you. I really like the unit and my energy supplier Ovo have it on their list of devices that they can arrange installation for.

Ovo have also just introduced a 'type of use' tariff (OVO Drive Anytime tariff ) which is 6p/kWh at any time of day (I honestly didn't believe that) so I thought I would give that a go rather than change to Octopus or Agile. I think it works on being able to shed the load when demand peaks but that is a wild guess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts