Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I was looking at the EO Mini Smart Home, partly because Octopus seem to have an offer on for it. It's obviously a new product, is it actually available now? Does anyone have one installed.

The other question I have is whether it works without using the app. I'm sure all the smart features are lovely to have, but what I really need is to be able to charge my car, even if, say, my internet connection is down, or my WiFi's on the blink, or EO's servers have crashed, or the app doesn't like the new version of android, or I've lost my phone, or any of the other myriad things that could go wrong ?. So can I just plug my car in and charge it, without using the app?

EDIT: I've just read the EO website more carefully (!) and realised that the EO Mini Smart Home is a package of 2 existing products, the mini charger and the home hub. I think my questions still stand though; does anyone have this package installed (and what's it like) and can it be used to charge without the app?

Thanks,

Ian.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This has caught my attention too, not sure on the specific answer with regard to your query though I'd be interested to know but it looks nice and tidy and I was looking for the solar charging option as well.

I did see a mention in another thread about potential cable locking function. Not sure if it made it to production but it'd be handy to maintain that clean look with the cable free version.

Which version did you have in mind?

·
We design and manufacture EV smart chargers
74 Posts
Hello,

I was looking at the EO Mini Smart Home, partly because Octopus seem to have an offer on for it. It's obviously a new product, is it actually available now? Does anyone have one installed.

The other question I have is whether it works without using the app. I'm sure all the smart features are lovely to have, but what I really need is to be able to charge my car, even if, say, my internet connection is down, or my WiFi's on the blink, or EO's servers have crashed, or the app doesn't like the new version of android, or I've lost my phone, or any of the other myriad things that could go wrong ?. So can I just plug my car in and charge it, without using the app?

EDIT: I've just read the EO website more carefully (!) and realised that the EO Mini Smart Home is a package of 2 existing products, the mini charger and the home hub. I think my questions still stand though; does anyone have this package installed (and what's it like) and can it be used to charge without the app?

Thanks,

Ian.
Hi Ian,

Thanks for your message!

We were hoping that another EV driver would be able to share their experience here but I’d be more than happy to share a few details on the EO Mini Smart Home.

The EO Mini Smart Home package includes the EO Mini charging unit and the EO Home Hub, which with additional CT clamps can power your vehicle with solar energy. It’s currently available at a discounted rate through Octopus here > eo | Octopus Electric vehicles

When looking at charging without the app - should anything happen to your internet connection or your charger becomes disconnected from the EO Home Hub your charger will continue to work. You’ll still be able to charge your car by simply plugging-in…

We hope this answers your questions? If you’re looking for more details on our home charging range (including a comparison table of all our chargers) then why not order our home charging catalogue here > https://www.eocharging.com/home-charging-catalogue

Many thanks,
Charlotte

·
74 Posts
This has caught my attention too, not sure on the specific answer with regard to your query though I'd be interested to know but it looks nice and tidy and I was looking for the solar charging option as well.

I did see a mention in another thread about potential cable locking function. Not sure if it made it to production but it'd be handy to maintain that clean look with the cable free version.

Which version did you have in mind?
Hi Hutchgee,

Thanks for your message!

I'm afraid the EO Mini Smart Home doesn't come with a locking socket but if you're concerned about leaving your cable overnight you can set a charging schedule to prevent others from using your charger when your vehicle isn't plugged in.

Hope that helps?

Thanks,
Charlotte

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Ian,

Thanks for your message!

We were hoping that another EV driver would be able to share their experience here but I’d be more than happy to share a few details on the EO Mini Smart Home.

The EO Mini Smart Home package includes the EO Mini charging unit and the EO Home Hub, which with additional CT clamps can power your vehicle with solar energy. It’s currently available at a discounted rate through Octopus here > eo | Octopus Electric vehicles

When looking at charging without the app - should anything happen to your internet connection or your charger becomes disconnected from the EO Home Hub your charger will continue to work. You’ll still be able to charge your car by simply plugging-in…

We hope this answers your questions? If you’re looking for more details on our home charging range (including a comparison table of all our chargers) then why not order our home charging catalogue here > https://www.eocharging.com/home-charging-catalogue

Many thanks,
Charlotte
Hi Charlotte,

Thanks for your reply. I have applied through the octopus website, so will hopefully have one soon! I'm still interested in anyone elses experiences, but perhaps as a new product not many people have them installed. Incidentally, the reviews for the app on the google play store aren't very encouraging. Hopefully there's a new version in the works?

Ian.

·
74 Posts
Hi Charlotte,

Thanks for your reply. I have applied through the octopus website, so will hopefully have one soon! I'm still interested in anyone elses experiences, but perhaps as a new product not many people have them installed. Incidentally, the reviews for the app on the google play store aren't very encouraging. Hopefully there's a new version in the works?

Ian.
Hi Ian,

Exciting to hear that you’re going for an EO Mini Smart Home! Keep us posted on when you have further information on your install date!

We have indeed taken customer feedback on board and have been working on an updated version of the ‘EO Smart Home’ app, which will be available to use over the coming weeks.

If you have any further questions while waiting for your EO Mini Smart Home, don’t hesitate to drop us a note here or at [email protected] - we’d be happy to help!

Best,
Charlotte

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
201 Posts
Some observations from my EO Mini install yesterday.
Looks great in gloss black but pairing with the app is a bit of a faff.
However I know EO are working on this, looking forward to seeing the improvements.

·
74 Posts
Some observations from my EO Mini install yesterday.
Looks great in gloss black but pairing with the app is a bit of a faff.
However I know EO are working on this, looking forward to seeing the improvements.
Hi finchlean,

Thank you for your feedback, we’re sorry to hear that your experience with our app didn’t match your expectations.

We are indeed working on developing an updated version of all our smart charging products in order to offer EV drivers greater insight and control when plugging in. We’ve passed on your feedback to our product development team to make sure it’s in our roadmap.

In the meantime, if there is anything we can support with or if you have any questions, you know where to find us. 👊🏻

Many thanks,
Charlotte

·
Registered
24 kWh Nissan Leaf
111 Posts
Does this mean I can in principle upgrade an existing EO Mini by adding the hub, and then use my spare solar generation when charging during the day?

If so, can you point me at the technical documentation - for example will I need a data cable run between the EO Mini and the hub which would I assume be fitted by the main switchboard?

·
74 Posts
Does this mean I can in principle upgrade an existing EO Mini by adding the hub, and then use my spare solar generation when charging during the day?

If so, can you point me at the technical documentation - for example will I need a data cable run between the EO Mini and the hub which would I assume be fitted by the main switchboard?
Hi DenkiJidousha,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Unfortunately, it’s not possible to upgrade the standard EO Mini by adding the EO Home Hub to get solar integration as a hardware change is required to install the EO Mini Smart Home (and not a simple swap out).

If you’re looking to power your car with solar energy then please contact our Home Charging experts directly on [email protected] or 0333 77 20383 - one of our experts would be happy to guide you through the different options available to upgrade your charger. Hopefully that helps?

Many thanks,
Charlotte

·
Registered
24 kWh Nissan Leaf
111 Posts
Thanks Charlotte - I would have been very pleasantly surprised if it has been that straightforward. Lock down aside, our EV is usually parked at work during the day so we wouldn't have much chance to use our solar output directly. I currently use the Leaf's built in timer with Octopus Go and the (not smart) EO Mini, which works well.

·
74 Posts
Thanks Charlotte - I would have been very pleasantly surprised if it has been that straightforward. Lock down aside, our EV is usually parked at work during the day so we wouldn't have much chance to use our solar output directly. I currently use the Leaf's built in timer with Octopus Go and the (not smart) EO Mini, which works well.
No problem DenkiJidousha, always happy to help! Offering a trade-in scheme to customers is something we're considering and we'll be sure to drop you a note when it's on our roadmap.

That said we're glad to hear that your EO Mini is all up and running, please keep us posted on how your electric adventures are going! ⚡

If you have any further questions don’t hesitate to drop us a note here or directly on [email protected].

Have a great day,
Charlotte

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just trying to place an order to have an EO home installed through the octopus offer. Just wondering what everyone's experience was like? Filled in the application at last with endless non-working links and uploads disappearing. Starting to wonder if it's just the application system or I'm getting the run-around. :/

Cheers

·
74 Posts
Just trying to place an order to have an EO home installed through the octopus offer. Just wondering what everyone's experience was like? Filled in the application at last with endless non-working links and uploads disappearing. Starting to wonder if it's just the application system or I'm getting the run-around. :/

Cheers
Hi Digger.9,

Thanks for getting in touch - we're pleased the EO Mini Smart Home caught your attention and look forward to being part of your electric adventure! ⚡

️That said we're sorry to hear that you had such a frustrating experience with our booking process - we’ve passed your comments onto our Home Install team who will look into how we can make the application process more streamlined.

We value all feedback and would gladly receive your thoughts via email, feel free to contact us on [email protected]. 👊🏻

Thanks,
Charlotte

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Charlotte
Thanks for your reply, not a problem just wondered what others experience was. The application system just seems clunky 🙂

·
74 Posts
Hi Charlotte
Thanks for your reply, not a problem just wondered what others experience was. The application system just seems clunky 🙂
Hi Digger.9,

That's no problem at all - customer satisfaction is incredibly important to us and we're always keen to work closely with EV drivers to address and detect any technical issues in our installation process.

If you have any further questions you know where to find us. 👊🏻

Have a great day️ ⚡
Charlotte

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Charlotte
I have just had the EO Mini and Home Hub fitted (yesterday) and can't connect to the app. I have tried multiple times and just get a failure notice on my iPhone.
The connection between the app and the hub seems to be a very clunky set up.
I have spoken to CS at EO and they are unable to help so far.
I am not impressed at all. If I had wanted a static non-smart charger I could have had one and would have paid a lot less, but that is what I have at the moment.

·
74 Posts
I have just had the EO Mini and Home Hub fitted (yesterday) and can't connect to the app. I have tried multiple times and just get a failure notice on my iPhone.
The connection between the app and the hub seems to be a very clunky set up.
I have spoken to CS at EO and they are unable to help so far.
I am not impressed at all. If I had wanted a static non-smart charger I could have had one and would have paid a lot less, but that is what I have at the moment.
Hi Paulo100,

Thanks for getting in touch, that's really not what we like to hear! We're sorry that you're having such a frustrating experience with your charger and that you're yet to receive technical support from our team.

Customer satisfaction is incredibly important to us and we are keen to ensure your charger is up and running as soon as possible - please contact us immediately on [email protected] or 0333 77 20383.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Charlotte

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Paulo100,

Thanks for getting in touch, that's really not what we like to hear! We're sorry that you're having such a frustrating experience with your charger and that you're yet to receive technical support from our team.

Customer satisfaction is incredibly important to us and we are keen to ensure your charger is up and running as soon as possible - please contact us immediately on [email protected] or 0333 77 20383.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Charlotte
I too have found the smart features unreliable. I haven’t tried charging with the device offline... however the device is constantly dropping offline. I purchased a wifi extender in the hopes that would help and it does not. The wifi is online and strong but EO Mini doesn’t seem to connect to it.
My other disappointment was not realising the cable doesn’t lock into the port when charging. I have the untethered unit as EDF only offered this and all my charging experience with my cable had the cable locked to car and to charge point. I only became aware of the issue as overnight on 3 occasions my cable has been unplugged and left on the floor ( I assume as it didn’t come out of the car thankfully). Because of this I’m now not comfortable charging overnight. I’m looking at purchasing cctv and also if there’s any make shift ways to lock my cable to the wall or device while I’m using it. It’s a shame there seems to be no way the device can lock while in use.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just thought I would update, had my eo pro 2 installed the other day. The installers did a great job, very professional, clean and tidy install. Really impressed. Just got to wait for the car to arrive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts