Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Miki
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a MY18 KIA Soul EV. It has only done 2600miles in 8 month.
It developed a strange fault. EPB warning light would not go out once ignition was turned on therefore it refused to release the hand brake.
Icinig on the cake is that GPS also played up. There was no signal. Some dates were recorded correctly. Some were back to future. Namely 2036 and some did not have a date recorded in the EV log where efficiency is recorded.
RAC engineer was puzzled and as a last ditch effort before dismanteling the hand brakes he disconnected the axillary battery in an effort to reset the car.
It worked thank G-d but I am worried this was just a symptom and there is an underlying issue with the car.
Has any of you experienced anything similar?

Please let me know.
I will book the car in vith KIA via LEX but it would be interesting to know.

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Weird things happen when the 12v battery is low (rather than "flat" ) .Any chance your 12v battery is suffering through lack of driving to keep it healthy?

Maybe try giving that a good top-up and see if the issues go away?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,355 Posts
What is the 12V battery voltage after you have left it overnight (no HV charging)?

Do you leave any accessories plugged in, or has the car had a door left open or something like that recently?

·
Miki
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If anything to do with the battery then it's lack of driving. My wife drives the car 90% of the time during school terms. It's been parked outside my house since end of July and only driven in the weekends by me as family is still on holiday.
However, I drive everywhere over the weekends since beginning of August. I even did an airport run last weekend.
I have a spanner in the car now just in case it happens again.
The car will be used from Wednesday onwards again as my family will be returning from their holidays.
We will see if what happens. If this issue does go away then it was the lack regular use.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
23,355 Posts
Get yourself a 99p voltmeter to plug into accessory slot and just leave it there. I recommend this for all EV and HEV users.

·
23,355 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hello Miklos
I had a similar frustrating experience with the EPB on my 2018 KIA Soul. Repeated EPB warning lights on the dash, 9 or 10 times where the handbrake refused to release, and 4 visits to KIA Dealership. Had to wait 10 weeks for wiring loom to come from Korea, which has finally fixed problem. Had car back for > 6 months now and all fine. My advice is phone them every day til they get sick of you.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You do realise that in order for the EPB to release you need to have the seat belt plugged in ?
Hopefully you got sorted !

·
23,355 Posts
I checked mine to and likewise no such restriction.

Sounds like a good idea though, really!

·
Registered
253 Posts
How strange.
Mine has done this since day one.
It doesn't happen all the time however but when it does I get the message "please release parking brake " in the middle of the dash.
Only plugging in the seat belt will allow me to move off !

·
Registered
51 Posts
How strange.
Mine has done this since day one.
It doesn't happen all the time however but when it does I get the message "please release parking brake " in the middle of the dash.
Only plugging in the seat belt will allow me to move off !
Mine let's me drive off when it's complaining if you press footbrake and push handbrake button down.

I think it complains if you start maneuvering, apply the handbrake, remove seat belt and try driving again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts