Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes EQC 400 4MATIC AMG, Brilliant Blue
6 Posts
3 months on and loving it. The power is instant, it doesn't so much accelerate as jump to 60. Comfortable ride, obviously doesn't corner like my old A-Class but I'm getting a bit old for a boy racer:)

Really easy to live with, have loved being able to start the heating up from the warmth of the house with the weather recently. I haven't been driving particularly conservatively or like a nutter and I've been averaging around 2m/kw. So a full 'tank' to zero would be 160 miles. Usually in the first level of power regeneration. There is a charging station just down the road so just generally top up once or twice a week.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the update Slacksquadron. Glad to hear it’s a comfy ride. Rear passenger comfort is a must for my cars. Do you think you’d get anywhere near the 250 range if you drove it conservatively? I often do 250 mile journeys from Gloucestershire to London usually with a break after a hundred miles but that could just be for 30 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
3 months on and loving it. The power is instant, it doesn't so much accelerate as jump to 60. Comfortable ride, obviously doesn't corner like my old A-Class but I'm getting a bit old for a boy racer:)

Really easy to live with, have loved being able to start the heating up from the warmth of the house with the weather recently. I haven't been driving particularly conservatively or like a nutter and I've been averaging around 2m/kw. So a full 'tank' to zero would be 160 miles. Usually in the first level of power regeneration. There is a charging station just down the road so just generally top up once or twice a week.
From my understanding and correct me if I'm wrong. The onboard AC charger (if purchased after Jan21) only charges at 16amp? I.e. 3.7kw and 11kw?
I believe the charger was changed from the 2019/2020 32amp 3.7kw and 7.4kw to the 11kw 16amp.

Great for Europe, not so much for the UK.

Can a current owner with the upgraded charger confirm please. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

I'm considering one of these - can you tell me if it has a heated steering wheel? I can't seem to find any info on this or even if one is included with the Premium or Premium Plus packages. Many thanks, Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the update Slacksquadron. Glad to hear it’s a comfy ride. Rear passenger comfort is a must for my cars. Do you think you’d get anywhere near the 250 range if you drove it conservatively? I often do 250 mile journeys from Gloucestershire to London usually with a break after a hundred miles but that could just be for 30 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really don't think it would stretch that far. Mercedes recommend only charging up to 80%. Even with the full 80kw and running it down to zero i don't see it breaking 200 miles on a single charge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi

I'm considering one of these - can you tell me if it has a heated steering wheel? I can't seem to find any info on this or even if one is included with the Premium or Premium Plus packages. Many thanks, Mark
Pretty sure a heated steering wheel is not an option. Certainly was not when I specced mine up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. Took delivery of my EQC in December 2020. I have now done about 12000 miles and it. Generally speaking it's a fantastic car and one that I would definitely choose again. Having said that one of the main reasons to lease a car at the moment is because battery technology will inevitably move forward and leave the older cars depreciating hard.

The question about heated steering wheel is interesting. As a newbie to ordering a Mercedes I was unaware that if you download the list of component codes and and choose the ones you want, pass it to your dealer as a requirement for your order, you can have whichever parts you want! Including heated steering wheel. But nowhere in any UK literature will you see that fact listed. Perhaps only our friends in Bavaria and Scandinavia have weather cold enough to justify a heated steering wheel where this option is routinely available.

Range. Definitely less in winter no matter how hard you try. Regular driving of town and motorway will get you around 200-220 miles. This summer it has been great to reach the heady heights of 240 miles.

Eats tyres. Front set will last 1 year / 15,000.

Performance is more than anyone would ever need. Not had many chances to out run the boy racers but was delighted to easily zip past M3 from the lights last week!

Previous car was a Volvo XC90. Children all old enough to drive now and hence less space needed. Boot is limited but it's all relative isn't it? Colour. They are all rather dull. And definitely all look grubby very quickly. I've heard reports that the mat grey colour chips very easily.

There is now the option to upgrade the camera system to dash cam mode. But you will need your dealer to upgrade software are using stages 1 2 and 3 of the major software updates.

The only thing I would improve? That much better UK charging infrastructure. Far too many points now out of order, damaged or simply too slow.

Oh and last point and the reason I came hunting to this Forum in the first place, insurance. Admiral seemed to have the best deals in 2021. Does anyone know of any good deals for 2021/22?

Bests

·
Registered
2 Posts
Eats tyres. Front set will last 1 year / 15,000.

Oh and last point and the reason I came hunting to this Forum in the first place, insurance. Admiral seemed to have the best deals in 2021. Does anyone know of any good deals for 2021/22?

Bests
thanks for this info, I’m about to place an order for an EQC.
What are the overall maintenance costs like, I’m deliberating getting a fully maintained lease and interested to understand typical annual costs compared to the (full) maintenance plan I’ve been offered

·
Registered
Mercedes EQC 400 4matic
910 Posts
thanks for this info, I’m about to place an order for an EQC.
What are the overall maintenance costs like, I’m deliberating getting a fully maintained lease and interested to understand typical annual costs compared to the (full) maintenance plan I’ve been offered
Have had my EQC since mid Sept. I lease from mercedes and usually have a maintenance plan inc, this time not as the dealer says there is little maintenance cost and it works better to pay as you go, we shall see if that is correct. Mine came with the latest michelin primacy tyres which only have about 6mm when new michelin argue they can be run to a lower depth of tread just as safely as if new than a usual design and the aim is to stop tyres being disposed of with wear left by people like me who change at 3mm.We shall see but I do expect the car to be heavy on tyre wear. I have had a 2015 c class estate and that wore the fronts quickly whereas my 2018 e class estate (both 4matic) did not the difference between the 2 cars was reallynoticeable. The c wears the outer rim of the tyre very quickly.
I am a very satisfied owner and susepct the maintenance costs to be less apart from tyres, it will consist of a diagnostic, change of a filter and maybe brake pads depending on mileage. The car although heavy uses regen a lot if you use d auto so does not seem heavy on the brake use and there is far less brake dust on the wheels than on any other car I have owned.
Lovely car quiet fast and luxurious just what a mercedes should be. Only real gripe inability to programme or stop and start a charge from the mercedes me app otherwise am satisfied. Have a look at the mercedes eco coach app too. Gives good advice re driving and charging and you can sign up to earn points redeemable for carbon offsett or money towards public charging😉

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for this. I’d been told they can eat through tyres at a rate of knots, but I’m not expecting to exceed the 10k /pa mileage so hopefully a set will last 18m…. That was one of the main reasons for the fully maintained but it was approx £44/m so unconvinced £528 will offer any savings tbh.
Edit - just check how much the tyres are and it’s looking upwards of £250 per wheel so maybe £44 per month is t to bad after all!

·
Registered
Mercedes EQC 400 4matic
910 Posts
Thanks for this. I’d been told they can eat through tyres at a rate of knots, but I’m not expecting to exceed the 10k /pa mileage so hopefully a set will last 18m…. That was one of the main reasons for the fully maintained but it was approx £44/m so unconvinced £528 will offer any savings tbh.
Edit - just check how much the tyres are and it’s looking upwards of £250 per wheel so maybe £44 per month is t to bad after all!
Ouch, should point out my maintenance plans were always the middle option so the consumables like tyres or pads were payable at the time of fitting. On researching here though MO homogulated in my tyre size 235/55/19 are only 150 euro ok 600 a set but not as bad plus fitting and I assume new tpm. Still tyres are so important can never understand why people buy cheap. On a car costing as much as the EQC do the tyre cost is not such a big deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had my EQC for almost a year now.
No issues mechanically (2 minor safety recalls) and I concur with all the positives already mention.

But... This is my first Merc and I have to say it is a disappointing experience. It's a nice car, dont get me wrong, but there again it should be for well north of £70k!!

But here are my reflections:
  • range. Summer maybe 230 at a push. Winter, much, much lower. 190 is not uncommon if you want to be warm and are on a motorway.
  • UK charging infrastructure is shockingly bad and/or expensive. Yes there arengood stories bjt even the more reliable brands let you down. Carrying a fistful of RFID cards and apps is not really an answer. Mercedes "me charge" is not reliable; in car navigation directed me to a fast charger on a Porsche forecourt! If you ask, they wont give you a list of charger brands you can use with Merc card so not very helpful.
*having previously driven a number of different brands I have to say that whilst the technology on board is good it is not as well executed as say, Volvo. Auto high beam headlights, adaptive cruise control, auto steering etc all much better systems in my old XC90.
  • the options list in the UK is quite limited... Unless you are an experienced Merc hack and download the full manufacturer options code lost and specify each one separately with your dealer. Heated steering wheel IS possible in a UK car but only if you know how
  • space in the rear seats is limited. It is definitely NOT a car for 5 adults for anything more than local journeys
  • performance is mkre than anyone could want or need. Fun tho!
  • 'eats' tyres
  • those side runners are annoying but finish the look well
  • 'panoramic' sunroof is no bigger than the one in my 1995 Peugeot 306!
  • front seats very comfortable with lots of adjustment
  • 'Hey Mercedes' is not as annoying as reviews tell you

Would I buy again? I went for the EQC over others because of its towing capacity which is far better than anything else EV. But time moves on and I am sure that when my contract is up there will be plenty of other options.

Oh, and for heavens sake dont buy an EQC at a dealer with Mercedes finance. Even third world despots get offered better finance rates!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Oh, and for heavens sake dont buy an EQC at a dealer with Mercedes finance. Even third world despots get offered better finance rates!
Although if there is a generous deposit allowance AND it is a regulated agreement (needs to say “regulated” in the title) then it can be worth it, just pay off in under 14 days.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts