Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
598 Posts
The challenge required an unusual approach to charging the car. The team decided to make more frequent stops by fast chargers to fill up the energy up to 80–85% of the total battery capacity.
That seems a strange comment, until you realize it must have been aimed at readers who know nothing about EVs and assume you'd always charge to 100%.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,576 Posts

proves the point you just need to think about your route and energy needs and be prepared. It is possible to cover the same distances as an ICE
For an unstaged* run that's impressive at nearly 57mph average including time spent charging.
Sadly I don't think that we can beat that in the LonaKona before it goes back, not least because of UK speed limits.

*Unstaged in terms of not draughting another vehicle nor having reserved charging.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Tesla Bjorn has several cars doing the 1000km challenge in 10-11 hours so that should suggest they’d do a similar distance in a solid 24?

Its an interesting if artificial test. One I’d like to see is how far can you drive if you follow guidelines on suitable rest - eg 2 hours driving, 15-20 minute stop for coffee/leg stretch, or 30 minutes every 4 hours to allow for lunch etc. Will you eventually run out of charge after a few legs, or will some cars hit a sweet spot of charge and you can go ‘forever’?

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
598 Posts
Its an interesting if artificial test. One I’d like to see is how far can you drive if you follow guidelines on suitable rest - eg 2 hours driving, 15-20 minute stop for coffee/leg stretch, or 30 minutes every 4 hours to allow for lunch etc. Will you eventually run out of charge after a few legs, or will some cars hit a sweet spot of charge and you can go ‘forever’?
Forever implies time for sleeping too, not just a 20 minute break, unless there are two of you and one sleeps while the other drives.

Apart from that, it comes down to how rapidly the car can be charged. The question it boils down to is: does 20 minutes of charging add enough charge for 2hrs driving? Or to put it another way, how long does it take to charge up enough for 2hrs driving? The answer, of course, depends on how fast you drive, the temperature and road conditions and whether you're going uphill or downhill.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,576 Posts
It's no coincidence that they have done this in the fugly jelly mould but very aerodynamically efficient EQS rather than an EQC. Doing half the distance in half the time is nowhere near as impressive as you have the benefit of an extra battery's worth of charge.

·
Registered
Mercedes EQC 400 4matic on order
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's no coincidence that they have done this in the fugly jelly mould but very aerodynamically efficient EQS rather than an EQC. Doing half the distance in half the time is nowhere near as impressive as you have the benefit of an extra battery's worth of charge.
The EQC can recharge a max of 110kw on a fast charger and from my experience would be using around 24kwh for 130km on the motorway. It has an 80kwh battery. Not worked out how that would play out but am sure there is someone here who has the mathmatical mind to do so. My takeawy from the article is what I have always beleived that with the current crop of larger battery EV they can be used just like an ICE for the longer trips with no real time penalty if using the super charger network, so wearing my french hat they will get you to the maison secondaire no problems, once there it may be a tad more complicated if you do not have a home charger and you would rely on the local authority and supermarket chargers far more. They are reasonably prevelant but not always reliable and usually limited to 22kw so slow. Certainly the EV‘s now are grown up enough in my view.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When will we see an EV class in the Le Man's 24 hour race?
I don't think it ever happened, but there was talk some years ago about installing induction chargers around the Le Mans circuit.
In practice I suspect hydrogen fuel cell or synthetic fuel combustion engines may be the way forward for Le Mans 24 hours

·
Registered
456 Posts
if you kept the car in the bottom of the charge level for fastest charge, and fudge the numbers for simplicity - eg

• if around 4 miles/kwh, that'd be about 6.4km/kwh or 160km for 25kwh.
  • if you drive 160km then charge to replace the 25kwh you've used up, assuming 100kwh that would take 15 mins.
  • driving at 80km/h thats 2 hours to cover 160km plus 15 mins to charge - so 135mins for 160km. that's 28hours for 2000km
  • at 100km/h thats 96 mins to cover 160km plus 15 mins charge = 111 mins. Thats 23 hours.

So if they can maintain 100km/h average for driving sections, hit 6.4km/kwh and a charge speed of 100kw that'd work.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,576 Posts
from my experience would be using around 24kwh for 130km on the motorway.
At what speed? Presumably not at 130km/h as that's better than the EQS average for highway?
I don't think it ever happened, but there was talk some years ago about installing induction chargers around the Le Mans circuit.
In practice I suspect hydrogen fuel cell or synthetic fuel combustion engines may be the way forward for Le Mans 24 hours
Why - because EV's are too quiet? :devilish:

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,576 Posts
So if they can maintain 100km/h average for driving sections, hit 6.4km/kwh and a charge speed of 100kw that'd work.
Sadly they will not manage that average speed and economy without draughting. Perhaps a convenient lorry breaking the speed limit by 20kmh?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Sadly they will not manage that average speed and economy without draughting. Perhaps a convenient lorry breaking the speed limit by 20kmh?
thats 4 miles/kwh which should be doable at 100km/h which is about 60ish mph?

·
Registered
Mercedes EQC 400 4matic on order
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At what speed? Presumably not at 130km/h as that's better than the EQS average for highway?

That was what the car was saying as I was cruising on the peage it had been less, crept up a bit and stabilised for the length of the journey. Next time I am using the peage I will take more note but essentially despite doing either 110 or 130 for all of the particular return journey of around 100 km (some is peage some is just dual carriageway) the consumption was admirably low and I think might have beaten the WLTP figs which I did achieve reguarly before the colder weather arrived. It is now creeping up of course. I do not conciously worry about the consumption but I am not particuarly heavy footed either on acceleration or brakes though I do enjoy a fast exit from the peage toll booths🤣
Today in temps of 5deg and after using the heated seat and no pre warming to 21degs I still managed 27.8 over 23km with a fast overtaking manouvere. The car was left for an hour and on the return temps were 6deg with rain so the lights were on and the wipers and I used the heated seat again and aircon was as on set at the same temp as the outward trip that was 27.2 and with an overtake this time going uphill. In general I see a better figure on the outward rather than the return journey but I used the heated seat longer. I noted the car takes longer to deliver heat than the old ICE which started giving warm air after only a km. I am actually really quite impressed with how the EQC does get close and beats the WLTP albeit I fully accept efficient it is not when compared to the smaller city cars. It weighs a lot (mine as optioned had a weight of 2555kg on the del paperwork) and that is seemingly a factor as if I have to stop and pull over a lot on my route home I see an increase in the consumption figs.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,576 Posts
thats 4 miles/kwh which should be doable at 100km/h which is about 60ish mph?
I'd be impressed if a car that size does. @Parkwood is saying that he was achieving 3.4 miles/kWh at a mix of 65 and 80, and now in the cold is still at 3.0, so maybe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts