Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been driving today and got a right rear tyre low pressure error. No big deal, thought I got a puncture but checked the tyre and it was fine. Set the pressure and off I went. An hour later I get an error "Error: Tyre Pressure Indicator". I stopped, switched the car off and on twice but that didn't fix it. Waited half an hour and set the pressure again, it fixed it.

Fast forward an hour later the same error appears. I set the pressure and the error is fine again.

I have to add I've been driving on bumpy roads for two hours today as I am doing ring of Kerry in Ireland. I read that this error might appear if there's a fault with ABS or ESC. Anyone ever encountered this? The error didn't point to any specific tyre just a general error twice about a tyre pressure system. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I had this error pop up a couple of times on my GTE.
The first time it detected a lower pressure in the N/S/R tyre, while travelling to a holiday destination.
Stopped for lunch and checked the pressure, it was about 4lb down on the recommended setting.
Used the inflation pump to "Top Up" the pressure and reset in T.P.M.S. in the head unit of the car.
Roughly about 4 weeks later the same thing happened again, checked the pressure and topped up the pressure and reset the T.P.M.S. again.
Sure enough, four weeks later it did the same again !.
Off to the tyre shop this time, wheel removed to reveal a screw through the main tread of the tyre, puncture repair done and no further warnings.
About 9 months later, back at the same tyre shop for four new tyres just two days before we went on holiday.
Half way on the journey ( with four new tyres fitted ) the T.P.M.S. comes on again !.
Pulled into a petrol station and did a quick visual check and all tyres where fine.
Reset the T.P.M.S. and continued on our way.
When we returned home from holiday, I went around each wheel and every reset the tyre pressures until they where absolutely "Bang On" to the manufactures settings.
There was a very small variation in the pressures of each tyre.
I think this may have happened after the tyres where replaced only two days earlier.
Reset the T.P.M.S. and never received the warning again !.
I think the system is very sensitive ( in a good way ) and picks up on any speed differences on each wheel.
I believe it works through the A.B.S. sensors in each wheel.
Check all the pressures in every tyre and make sure they "Bang On" - Then reset the T.P.M.S. and see how that goes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yep it works on the abs rotation sensors. So e are better than others and this one seems particularly sensitive. When it goes off, don't just reset it. Check the pressure first and compare to other tyre on the same axle.
Also, always check pressure yourself after getting a tyre place to look at your car. They will always set it to their preferred value and not yours. Useful to have a small pressure reader handy for this.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like the system is just super sensitive. I just arrived home now and on the way it has asked me to set pressure on each tyre. I've topped up tyres last week when they were cold to factory standards using gas stations electronic pump so all tyres were definitely inflated evenly to 2.6 bar (I think). I was worried I might have to go to a garage but this was one of my longest trips I did (over 800km in one day) so perhaps tyres got but of a kicking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts