Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
Tesla Model 3 SR
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the use of a Leaf next week (lucky me!) and need to go from Essex to Bournemouth University and back two days later. There is no destination charging, but I won't do much driving when there..

What do we reckon? Do-able without range anxiety?! It's nearly all motorway.

My plan is:

Home -> Lakeside Rapid (23miles) -> Clackett Lane Rapid (31 miles) - > Fleet Rapid (47 miles) -> Rownhams Services (47 miles) -> Bournemouth (30 miles)

Maybe I'm planning too many stops with the above route?!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Probably too many, but then if one or two are blocked then you can at least move on to the next. Bournemouth has a dealer with a rapid too, if needed (although Rownhams is very close to be honest.

·
Tesla Model 3 SR
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On another note - getting quite excited about being a potential 2 EV family now... Just not sure what the second EV should be - keep flicking between Leaf, Ampera, i3... Probably will be a Rex, but this exercise is to see how viable the rapid charge network is for moving around the country. The E-Up is more our local car and is pretty much always slow charged.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
On another note - getting quite excited about being a potential 2 EV family now... Just not sure what the second EV should be - keep flicking between Leaf, Ampera, i3... Probably will be a Rex, but this exercise is to see how viable the rapid charge network is for moving around the country. The E-Up is more our local car and is pretty much always slow charged.
I'm going through exactly the same process, but substitute Zoe for Ampera on your list. With the latest developments on battery degradation and costly repairs (e.g. Leaf electronic handbrake) I'm leaning towards contract hire/battery lease options.

·
Tesla Model 3 SR
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to say I did the trip today - ended up being Chelmsford - Portland in the end!!!

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
About to finish my 7 day test drive too.

On the whole I was very impressed...particularly with the pick up and rapid charging. It has made me seriously consider the gen 3 as my next car if they do achieve the 186 mile range quoted.

I'm still glad I went for the Ampera over the Leaf due to the reassurance of unlimited range. I'm sure Leaf drivers will disagree but I just feel that the Ampera is a bit more special. Both have their pros and cons. Minor niggles include the footbrake and the eco mode. I also feel the power/brake combinations are better on the Ampera. Normal mode is fine for normal driving but Sport handy if you need it. Eco mode on the Leaf seems pointless at best and dangerous at worst. Also prefer the info given by the Ampera displays. Boot space and passenger capacity is better on the Leaf. Suspect the lower drag makes the Ampera better suited to 70mph motorway driving.

If the Ampera had rapid charge then I think it would be a clear winner for most. But as they stand, both are great cars and it's mainly down to your driving habits to choose between them. I look forward to the mk 3 with interest.

·
Tesla Model 3 SR
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting evaluation - I find the Ampera a much more comfortable car to drive on the whole - I can't seem to get far enough back or low enough in the Leaf - I found it quite painful after 200 miles if I'm honest.

In terms of my charging strategy, it was as follows - fully charged from Home -> Cobham services (charge to 90%) -> Rownhams services (again to 90%) -> destination charge to 75%.

On the way back I'll do the Bournemouth rapid and then possibly the same services back to Essex, maybe with a top up at lakeside.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
The Leaf feels like a Golf/Focus....which is no bad thing. The Ampera feels more like a 3 series.

IMHO ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts