Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Glyn Hopkin EV Business Development Manager
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning All,

I'm currently speaking with a client looking to take. A 7 day test drive and who's daily commute is from Basildon, Essex to Folkestone. CARWINGS suggests that the journey there is not a problem with rapid charge at Maidstone. The problem is getting back, with very little in the way of charger network in or around Folkestone and no 3 pin access while at work, he would not able to get back to Maidstone for a rapid.

Does anyone know of charging facilities in or around Folkestone?
Is anyone doing this journey and have any tips?

Many Thanks
Darren

·
My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
Tesla Model 3 SR
378 Posts
I've family in Kent and often go down there in the EV. There is a Rapid on the M2, but that only really helps if going to Dover (it's a bit further toward the coast). It's a real dead spot for Rapids, but on another thread there was talk of a charger going in at Eurotunnel's terminal?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
There are two 7kw chargers marked in Folkestone. One is in the Sainsbury's car park, the other is at a Renault dealer, although Zapmap reckons that one has yet to be connected.

But it's only 28 miles from Maidstone Services to Folkestone, according to the map. Surely he will have enough charge left to get back to Maidstone? Also, there are some in Ashford if he's getting worried on the way back, one of them in a public car park.

·
My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
Tesla Model 3 SR
378 Posts
But then you'd have to go to Ashford :D

KAP in Folkestone look like they have one - they're a good company, my dad sent work to them for years when he had his garage in Kent. Maybe they'd allow a charge there if it's close to his work?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Daily commute? He must already spend 4-5 hours a day sitting in the car on top of his working day. Not wanting to be a pessimist, but is another hour+ of rapid charging per day really going to be viable, stretching the day to maybe 16 hours out of the house?

I suspect the best bet is to identify workplace charging options - presumably it must be a fairly "important" job to be worth that sort of commute.

·
Registered
72 Posts
As @Wowbagger says, it's 28 miles from the the Hollingbourne rapid charger to Folkestone which would suggest to me that the journey is possible if the Leaf is driven carefully. Would mean a rapid charge on the way to Folkestone and one on the return trip too.

There is a rapid charger on the M2 which is 13 miles from Hollingbourne. Could be used as an alternative if the Hollingbourne rapid charger is out of use.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hollingbourne has two chargers, the M2 services one on each side. I have to say that those on the M2 are reliable enough, if a little slow (Thursday evening I added 56%in 30 minutes exactly) and both sides can be accessed via a service road. The newer charger at Hollingbourne (RH side as you approach) is a fair bit quicker. The older one seems prone to thermostat errors, and I have had it pack up part-way through a charge before now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts