Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
EGGY
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't going to bother sticking anything up on this other than it's a non event, it's easy but ......

Bought the car early March just before lockdown kicked in and hence this is our first time really spending anytime in the car. Kids blew us out on the holiday (18 and 20) just before we went away (left home on the 25th) so it was myself and my wife.

1 soft bag plus a rucksack so clearly no issue with space. Charger at Eurotunnel was blocked off as part of the closure of their retail outlets, I had intended to charge there but no issue, just charged in France (Urvillers, but could have charged earlier at Ionity Rely). Car is running 19's (from the new aero) but I should have topped up pressures. Charging was a doddle, just let the route planner do it's thing, safety charge at Sallanches which was unneeded, no drama.

But ... windscreen wipers just randomly coming on, quite frequently, bone dry no blowback from others cars wipers, bizarre. Annoying but no big issue. Autopilot ... doesn't seem to like France or Italy. It once tried to steer me towards a lane divider (the green plastic things in front of a concrete barrier with the arrows on at junctions) which wasn't appreciated, didn't seem to like guard rails especially over small bridges. Soon stopped using Autopilot. When changing lanes I frequently got a warning about crossing the line, audible and physical in the wheel (possibly a setting I'm unaware of ?), that got annoying pretty quickly. This stopped in the last part of the drive when we were diverted down the old road from Milan into Genova which is basically a B road between houses they call a motorway. I tend to copy the locals on this road and use all of the road, cutting apex's etc, didn't get a warning here. But the worst issue was the phantom braking, when passing traffic it's annoying but a couple of times it braked for no reason the worse being on a dead straight road, nothing around us for miles, 135km to 80, slammed the brakes on. I was driving the car manually at the time, couldn't see any debris in the road and as I say, no traffic, clear evening, sunny. After that I was a bit pi$$ed off to be honest, stopped trusting the car. Happened to lesser degrees to both me and my wife.

We saw 2 Tesla's on the whole trip, an X charging in Bresse in France and an S coming the other way near Chamonix. Maybe there's a lack of density of cars to map these roads out but that would only explain the AP issues ?

The last time we did this trip was in a 520d and we both felt the M3 was more comfortable and relaxing. We stopped 5 times in total (including the safety stop) so 4 times would be the norm, I think we normally stop 3 times so maybe we spent and extra 15 - 20 minutes stopped, no big deal. Possibly this contributed to the journey being more relaxed. Not a lot of people around, more than likely due to Covid. We were always the only car at the charges except in Bresse. I'm sure that will change when all those Dutch model 3 owners set out on summer hols. In many ways supercharging is easier than filling up with diesel, certainly in Italy paying by card is a faff. We have a local charger here in Nervi within 100 metres of the sister in laws flat, expensive at EUR .49c but handy. I bought the granny with an Italian plug (from Tesla) and that works, handy back up.

Other things that came to notice, the display menus need further tweaking for RHD (the X button is a stretch when closing down the energy screen for example, for me), I'm still not a great fan of the nav (another stretch to change the view to route etc), there's a lot of glass so the car get's hot, sunscreens would be useful (when parked certainly) and almost essential if your spending a lot of time in hot, sunny countries.

Despite the faults we really enjoyed the journey down here, we'll see what the journey back brings.

·
EGGY
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ChargePoint will get you the flat fee on Ionity (€8), if you have an Apple Watch, download their app and you can add it to your "wallet", I find the signal much stronger than cards. Bit of back up just in case.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
A right faff that the Superchargers were blocked at Eurotunnel.
Would they do the same if it was a service station I wonder!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Those phantom issues, especially braking sound a bit worrying though. Especially if driving in manual. Are these known issues?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Those phantom issues, especially braking sound a bit worrying though. Especially if driving in manual. Are these known issues?
Mine did a phantom brake whilst in AP after going down a dip in the road as the road rose up again. Very odd and lucky no-one was behind. I've never experienced phantom braking in normal drive mode althogh do get a warning and a red car in front occasionally when the car in front is turning left and I pull out to pass it without slowing down.

·
Registered
417 Posts
ChargePoint will get you the flat fee on Ionity (€8), if you have an Apple Watch, download their app and you can add it to your "wallet", I find the signal much stronger than cards. Bit of back up just in case.
Malcom, could you summarise how to get this flat €8 Ionity fee? I don't have a ChargePoint account, and my phone is Android.

·
EGGY
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Paulo, just sign up to charge point and download their app. They'll send you an RFID card for free but it won't arrive in time for you so just use the app on your phone, you'll be subject to the vagaries of the reception but still worth doing.

·
EGGY
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those phantom issues, especially braking sound a bit worrying though
Yup it was, I'm hoping a reset might help, or the next update coming down. Tried to report it at the time via the voice activated bug fix, didn't recognise the phrase bug fix. Should have saved the dash cam footage but didn't think of it at the time.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Other things that came to notice, the display menus need further tweaking for RHD (the X button is a stretch when closing down the energy screen for example, for me)
Just an FYI. You don't need to reach the X to close those screens... I don't think I've ever opened the energy screen so might be wrong on that one, but for most windows with an X in the top corner, just put your finger anywhere on the top bar of the window and swipe down. With some practice, you can get some muscle memory for where the top of the window is, so don't even have to look at the screen.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We have a Sanef (now called Emovis) tag for tolls in France, great to be able to use the fast gate, you don't even have to stop.

·
EGGY
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You don't need to reach the X to close those screens.
Thanks I'll give that a go. Probably the most frequently used and annoying is the changing the view on maps. There is a reddit thread on changes to the UI that apparently the dev's are watching.

On the emovis tag, the UK website offers a joint France, Spain and Portugal tag. A tag that combines Ialy exists but when I filled the form out it wouldn't take my UK IBAN, very frustrating.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts