Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are a family of 5, us Jolltax's, 2 Adults (if you count me), 2 smallish people, 1 big hairy dude who smells, drools and always sits in the back :

He will be going straight into the back of the Tesla Model S when we get it in July along with the mud, hair and everything else. Coincidentally I am also considering a second car and have been looking for a (much) cheaper runabout in which we can all fit and can really mess up on winter muddy walks, why aren't there any proper estate EV's? E-Golf estate in basic trim would be perfect and dog could mess that up instead of the Tesla, please Santa......

The only thing I can find that looks remotely like one is the Passat GTE or the Mitsubishi Outlander - neither of which are particularly cheap and they have one of those noisy things in them. Maximum respect to PHEV owners but the engineer in me says KISS - complexity is the enemy so I would prefer a BEV with a modest range.

Having looked at it I doubt I would get Milo (the dog) in the back of a Leaf without putting down the seats - maybe a Soul EV? How big is the boot of one of those I wonder? <plus I love the name and bread-van on steroids look, lol>

At this rate I'll be getting an ICE for my hairy mate :(

Cowabunga!

Jolltax

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
The SoulEV has a smaller boot than the Leaf but its more upright stance may make it work for your hairy companion. Only way to find out is to try one :)

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
If walkies with two humans maybe an EV van?

The Peugeot is battery owned. A couple of Autotrader (link didnt work)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The SoulEV has a smaller boot than the Leaf but its more upright stance may make it work for your hairy companion. Only way to find out is to try one :)
Yes, he needs headroom and thats usually the issue with hatches as long there is a nice big hatch and enough floor area for him to lie down. I wonder where my nearest Kia dealer is....

If walkies with two humans maybe an EV van
Great idea, I can't see Mrs Jolltax driving a van though unless it is diamond encrusted or has Brad Pitt in the passengers seat ....... I'll have a snoop around a bit

Cheers

J

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Nissan evN200 is electric - there's a camper van conversion too. All built on a Leaf chassis and electrics.

May be a bit pricey as a dog transporter though

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
My other half is a "dog walker" and walks 6 per day all in one go. Currently using a pug 307sw diesel but it is on its last legs. I was wanting to replace it with a ev version and was thinking ev200 was ideal as plenty big enough, only 30 miles per day range needed, and dogs are a light load in van terms. Would also be handy for weekend tip runs etc and it helps that we already have a leaf and a tethered charger. I thought the pug van was a battery rental and that is why they were so cheap. I assume it is the renault one that has a battery rental. I will have to go and investigate further.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Along with the eNV-200 Combi, there is also the Kangoo Z.E. Maxi crew van.

The Kango doesn't have any sort of rapid charging, while most versions of the eNV-200 do.

We have the Nissan dog guard for our LEAF. Our Labradoodle fits in the boot and our Great Dane rides in the back seat. I put an old Duvet cover over the back and a blanket on top of it.

i3 boot might be better for the dog but is smaller overall. Dunno if there is a dog guard either.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I too have a big hairy drooling due and after the first trip he never went in the model s again, the boot is technically big enough but not great for him to move about, also getting him in and out is a little difficult as he only has three legs.
Hehe, I love dogs and especially Bernese's obviously, thanks for posting the picture and the details - he's gorgeous ! I know people would find it funny, but "getting the dog in the back" is the first rule of car buying for us.

o7

J

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I know people would find it funny, but "getting the dog in the back" is the first rule of car buying for us.
The 'must have' for our Fiat Pandas was air-con for the Cat, on its weekly commute from house to canal boat.
There's nowt so queer as folk!
Not sure if still available, but the eNv200 originally came with a 5 seat combi version, which would, I suggest , be quite good for a dog carrier on wheels.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I test drove the eNV-200combi at an eco-show last year - that's when I was really sold on EVs as it was a fine drive with a bit of extra 'torque' and looked good. My prime criterion was taking hairy mutt on long journeys as well as daily runs to good walking places and this was the first EV I'd seen that seemed designed as a small MPV. Unfortunately it wasn't available with the same pricing perks as the Leaf, nor was its range as good. So now mutt takes all the back seat of a Leaf (have advantage of being empty nester) and right now I have white hairy decor evenly air blown over the smart black upholstery. I've never spotted an NV-200 combi on the road, did any get sold? We looked at the van version too, there may be quite a few of these running about masquerading as traders vehicles? Hope Nissan will be improving on the 200-combi as I'll be looking for one again when my current lease comes to an end.

·
Super Moderator
7,271 Posts
My friend has a Leaf (gen1, with the boot hump) and his Northern Inuit goes in the back no problem. In a gen2 with no boot hump it'd be even better.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
PS how do you fold a great dane into a Leaf's boot?
Willow rides on the back seat. She is too elderly to jump into the boot. Lately even the back seat has been a bit of a struggle. :(

On the other hand she is eleven years old and the median lifespan for a Great Dane is six or seven.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
I would say unless its a tiny dog, i3 boot would be way too small.
I remember a photo of a Bernese in an i3 boot. I think it was on the BMW-i Facebook page or maybe twitter. Doubt I can find it now. . .

Google found me one in a Model S and two in a MINI.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts