Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new here and new to hybrid cars, recently purchased an Estima direct from Japan, thought best to get as low miles as possible so the battery would be in good shape, however once it gets to about 50 percent it drops off down to 20 and throws a wobbly, lots of warning lights and a P0A80 code. Assuming I have one or more dead cells. My 12v aux battery is low too, would this contribute in any way to the sudden drop? I have seen about the fan issue on many a Prius and this car I have is covered in dog hair, assuming fan is clogged up with hair.

Going to get the fan cleaned today, a new 12v battery fitted tuesday and then see where I stand.

Can anyone point me in the right direction fir a battery conditioner?

First of many posts here.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
87 Posts
Replace the 12v battery on all these systems a weak battery causes all sorts of faults. I looked at the Estima a few years ago but the disadvantage was that it doesn't share much at all with the Prius or anything else and therefore the european support is non existent. I don't think that situation has changed but I may be wrong. Replace the 12 v battery before you do anything else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It shares battery cells with a couple of lexus but it would appear general parts like brakes etc are either Estima specific or some Camry models share parts but again not UK.

I've had loads of imports over the years, import all my own but first foray into Estima and hybrids in general. Was hoping to get good mpg in it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'll say it again, replace the 12v battery, ask @donald what he thinks. There are many threads on here and in other car forums of people chasing faults around for weeks or months only to find that it was poor battery voltage all along.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,191 Posts
Hi all, new here and new to hybrid cars, recently purchased an Estima direct from Japan, thought best to get as low miles as possible so the battery would be in good shape, however once it gets to about 50 percent it drops off down to 20 and throws a wobbly, lots of warning lights and a P0A80 code. Assuming I have one or more dead cells. My 12v aux battery is low too, would this contribute in any way to the sudden drop? I have seen about the fan issue on many a Prius and this car I have is covered in dog hair, assuming fan is clogged up with hair.

Going to get the fan cleaned today, a new 12v battery fitted tuesday and then see where I stand.

Can anyone point me in the right direction fir a battery conditioner?

First of many posts here.

Thanks

Chris
I'll say it again, replace the 12v battery, ask @donald what he thinks. There are many threads on here and in other car forums of people chasing faults around for weeks or months only to find that it was poor battery voltage all along.
Absoutely.

A car sitting in numerous lots and on a boat for a month or two, just buy a new battery.

You can try to bring the old one back to health at your leisure with a good quality desulphation charger, but there is zero value looking for anything further on your car until you have a known good 12V. Hence in this scenario I would definitely advocate a new battery.

If it was in a one year old car or such, I would recommend a proper charge up first, but in your case, buy something you can trust.

Look at it this way; if your car didn't have a 12V at all, would you look on ebay and buy a 2nd hand one that is going to be shipped from Japan? No?... Well .... you just did!! ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 12v battery is shot, its an agm one and would not hold a charge even after full cycles on a friend's agm charger.

Disulphate ones only work lead acid dont they? I have a new battery on order. Will come back with further results soon. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts