Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi can anyone help I have bought a 2009 Estima hybrid and it won’t start at all on hybrid or engine had it put on computer and fault code shown is air flow fault
it has been sitting for 1 year before I bought it and I have replaced the small battery in boot
Makes wired noise and slight vibration from front of engine and just stall won’t start
Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,916 Posts
Have you drained and replaced the petrol? Also try checking the air flow sensor, it may start if you disconnect it.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
360 Posts
Bite the bullet and get a dealer to look at it.

·
Premium Member
11,600 Posts
I think @Problemchild has one and hopefully will be online soon and be able to provide some thoughts?

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Hey yeah we have one in the family

that’s a strange fault code description

what’s the code?

when you say the car won’t start on EV what do you mean? I’d assume the HV battery is flat and will need charging by the ICE and if that won’t start then obvs it won’t drive.

JJ

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
fault code shown is air flow fault
a fault with the mass airflow sensor will stop the car starting

it will be nr the air filter

It can be v easily replaced BUT you can also clean the filaments with some electrical contact cleaner

check the air filter while you are in there

happy to help where I can

JJ

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi thanks for all advice I will try all the above and get some fault codes too I will let you knw how I get on
Ps how can I charge the hv battery if it’s low ?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,916 Posts
Hi thanks for all advice I will try all the above and get some fault codes too I will let you knw how I get on
Ps how can I charge the hv battery if it’s low ?
You can't charge the HV battery without running the engine - it is a "self charging" hybrid not a plug-in hybrid.

Here's a link to an article on MAF failure including a couple of fault codes. Personally I have never come across one that fails so badly as to prevent the engine starting. They are easy to replace or clean, but if it genuinely is preventing the engine starting it might need replacing.

Toyota Previa: Bad MAF Sensor → Symptoms & Causes | Drivetrain Resource

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Plus normally you can disconnect the MAF and the engine goes into a default mode where it doesn’t need to know the airflow

ita normally if the MAF is providing air readings or temp readings that are outside the boundaries for the engine then it just won’t start

JJ

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi still at the garage had it on diagnostics 2 fault codes where replace hv battery and air flow sensor
Just waiting on actually percentage of battery before replacing it
And they said they can sort air flow fault
Will know more by Saturday then will update you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
But mine won’t run at the moment and someone told me I have to replace battery as it won’t start unless you first drive on battery
It just won’t start
I was going to replace battery hopeing it will cure this ?

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I’m not sure that’s true

out battery had a few dead cells so the battery would think it’s empty

a battery fault would then come up and it would stop using the battery

but the car would starts and stop on the ICE

this seems to me that it’s an ICE issue first stopping the car from starting

JJ

1 - 20 of 27 Posts