Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this question has already been asked and answered.

A new charging point (Pod-point 7kW, 2 bays) has just been installed at my local railway station and it has raised an etiquette dilemma in my mind.

The station is small and has an infrequent service, and the passenger base is/was almost entirely either 9-5 office workers bound for Swindon, or students going to the local college. The station is a long way from a dull town centre so sees very little passenger flow outside the rush hours. Before C**** the car park was well used by 9-5ers.

Now that Pod-point have installed electric charging in parking bays that are normally occupied by the same car from 7.30am to 4 or 6pm, is it acceptable/tolerable to plug in all day? Not asking for me, I have a home charger, but just wondering if these will see any action if everyone obeys the "no bedblocking" protocol.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,270 Posts
Destination chargers at railway stations will usually be used by people who’ve parked up and got on a train.

Therefore, it’s first come first served and you remove your car when you get back from your trip.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD
191 Posts
My local station has sockets for granny chargers to be plugged in to - and marked out bays for EV charging. I often just plug in when I’ve headed out on the train for the day for work or whatever.

I regularly do the same at another station with 7kw Pod-Points - I can’t see what else you can do - the car is plugged in until you return. I think it’s the norm. First come first served basis. I’m paying standard rate for parking. I’ve never seen more than two or three cars there - but then I wouldn’t know - I’m gone all day :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
307 Posts
Apart from the odd driver using it briefly while waiting to collect someone arriving by train, what option is there other than to leave the EV plugged in while you're away travelling to/from wherever?

But really these are problems the operators should be considering and building into their pricing to ensure people use the infrastructure efficiently - it needs something like a hybrid energy and time-based charge. x p/kWh and then once you stop charging, £x per hour or per day for occupying the charge point.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Entirely up to the charge point owner to set any conditions of use. If it was me I'd like to see a nominal charge of say £2 to occupy a charge bay at locations such as railway stations and Park and Ride car parks, with a maximum occupation time of 24 hours. A hybrid or anyone living a short commute away from the station wouldn't bother using it (or would maybe use just once a week if they were a regular commuter). Anyone desperate or travelling a greater distance in an EV would be happy to pay a nominal amount if there was a good chance that the charger was available.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My local station has sockets for granny chargers to be plugged in to - and marked out bays for EV charging. I often just plug in when I’ve headed out on the train for the day for work or whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where’s that? Sounds PERFECT. The absolute ideal for long dwell time destination charging.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Train stations with their long dwell time always seem like an ideal candidate for a Pod Point Array system or something similar. The only reason I can imagine they aren't more popular is unwillingness to dedicate the number of spaces.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Well, first thing first...It will be very difficult for anyone to come back in the middle of the day to unplug the car if they are working away.
Which is why you're not expected to unplug at a park and ride when your car is charged, but rather when you return on the train.
Saying that...I think that this is a simple act of stupidity. Let me explain: From your post I can assume that whoever this person is he/she is charging every day the same car to a 100%. Whatever make and model the car is why on earth they need to keep the car all the time at 100%? So perhaps if you come across this person you can explain to them that after 20 back to back full charges the car will explode 😂😂😂
Wow, lots of ill founded assumptions there.

Who says they are charging to 100% ? Some cars allow a charge limit to be set on AC including Kia, Hyundai and Tesla's at the least. You're also making assumptions about the range of the car and how far they have to drive to get to the park and ride.

Secondly, what is stupid about charging your car at a park and ride on the way to work if that's the only place you can charge ? That's what park and ride chargers are for! :rolleyes:
Seriously selfish people like that are not my cup of tea. It is about common sense.....in this case such a quality is clearly absent.
No, you're jumping to a lot of conclusions about the circumstances of the person who needs to charge. Why are they selfish if they don't have home charging and charging at the park and ride while they go to work is the only easy way to charge ?

What do you suggest ? That they park in a normal parking space during the day to leave the chargers free then sit on the charger for 4+ hours a night after they come back on the train ? Clearly a ludicrous suggestion. The only sensible way to use a slow AC charger at a park and ride is to leave the car plugged in while at work. It's what they're for.

If demand exceeds the number of chargers then the site needs more chargers.
There is a guy that drive a DPD Nissan 200 EV Van and he used to do the same at my local train station. The only difference is that he was parking in the evening and he was holding the charger till 11 AM the following morning. Suddenly he is no longer to be seen. Later I found out that someone complained to the Charge Place Scotland and they've contacted DPD and asked them for explanation....since then the van is no longer around.
It's up to the site owner to set the conditions of use of the chargers. At a park and ride they may well say that it should be used during the day by commuters who are catching the train, so a DPD driver who is plugged in all night would be outside the conditions of use.

But if you're trying to say that leaving a car plugged into a park and ride Level 2 AC charger during the working day is not allowed then there is absolutely zero point installing them in the first place - who in their right mind is going to sit in their car on a Level 2 charger for 4 hours at a park and ride miles from any facilities ?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Well said Simon. To answer the original question yes it's completely acceptable.
Similar situation at Leamington Spa train station though there are about 4 bays there. AC slow charge: First come first served and stay for hours at a time. That's the only way to charge your car. Clue is in the words "Slow" and "Charger".

DC chargers are a different matter. Slow chargers which are basically the same as what you might have at home are fair game for anyone to sit on for as many hours as necessary.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tempted to post a "well, that escalated quickly" meme but I won't. Thanks to everyone for the responses, and in particular the previous 2 posters for illuminating answers.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
There is a similar problem at my work place carpark with PHEVs vs EVs, but I dont need to charge at work.

This poses a real dilemma for new or old EV users eg.
1. Does a full EV have more right to park than a PHEV?
2. EVs or PHEVs that plug-in for convenience of a parking spot but dont need to charge.
3. Should people be charger for energy used or time ... (i would usually say energy used, but difficult here)
4. Unplug etiquette. is it ever acceptable to unlug a car that is finished charging. Not universally applicable. In some cars you can control if the cable is released after charging.

solutions:
There is NO EXISTING UNIVERSAL TECHNOLOGY SOLUTION because the technlogy is so diverse, apps, cards, keys.
We just need more chargers for people that NEED them and perhaps the costing models need to be approriate

....But if you really care perhaps you can leave a note in the dash, with your number?

·
Registered
394 Posts
A person with a PHEV probably won't have rapid charge capability. Where else can they go? An empty PHEV might take 3 hours to charge but at a destination point such as a railway they're paying for the parking space as well as the charging point such as in Leamington so they have as much right as anyone else. In my view a EV has very little right to charge at those spots because their range is so much greater they have far more choices available to them. I used to have a PHEV mercedes a few years ago and the looks I'd get for using a pod point made me feel guilty but in the end I thought screw you. I have as much right to be here as you do. Now I'm a full EV owner I don't treat PHEV owners with contempt because they're on the same path as the rest of us but not full EV yet. PHEVs are like a gateway drug :)

Also comparing PHEV against bev is actually about comparing battery range. Does a low range leaf have less right to charge all day as a large range Niro? I don't think so.
Solution is definitely to have more chargers but also we need to be collectively more forgiving if a charging point you want is being occupied by another regardless of how long they've been there especially if you have the ability to charge from home.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,396 Posts
This is why EV's are still such a niche product. All the invisible rules and etiquette surrounding a simple act of refilling the car.

Does the car rapid recharge within an hour?
Yes - move your car once it's got enough for your journey. This is petrol pumps for BEV.
No - leave the car plugged in and use the spot like a parking space, this is parking spot with added feature for EV.

Personally, I don't care how people use slow destination chargers, first come first serve, if you can't use it, use alternative methods (fossil fuel / rapid / home charging). As long as rapids are not hogged by cars charging at slow speed or PHEV's, it's all fine.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts