Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first time charging at an IKEA today but I guess this could happen anywhere. We were about 1 hour in the shop in total, I kept checking the app and got an email after 45 mins with a receipt. IKEA have said they have stopped the £6 discount but that’s ok.
My main question is this: on returning to the car, I had been disconnected and the lid closed on the front of the leaf. I’m just wondering if the machine did actually finish (it put me to 97%) or did someone just nick my charger?? Also is it not dangerous to just unplug or did the machine automatically stop? So many questions: please shed some light!!

I probably wouldn’t mind if the car wasn’t new but I was a bit taken aback by someone disconnecting.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,090 Posts
It can't be disconnected if it is charging. Someone simply used the charger after yours had finished, closed the flaps to protect them. All nice and above board.

·
Evezy £50 code - cada7
146 Posts
On cars that use chademo, the connector is locked by the charger until the session ends. As soon as charging stops you can unplug the vehicle since the connector unlocks and allows a waiting car to make use of it. Perfectly safe.

If you do this, be sure to do the same. Be careful touching their car, and close the flap to avoid any dirt or rain getting in there.

97% sounds about right. At that point either the car will have decided its full, or the charger reached 45 minutes and stopped since it would only be trickle charging when the SOC is that high. So I don't imagine the next user would have done an emergency stop or anything like that on you.

Annoyingly it's only chademo that does this. CCS and Type 2 AC both lock at the vehicle end, not the charger. This means you still have to wait after charging has ended. If you ever upgrade from the LEAF to a car that uses one of these connectors in the future, you'll quickly miss the ability to unplug cars that have finished, especially with the amount of inconsiderate people out there who just park up and forget about the car on a rapid charger for hours.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that. I did wonder if they can stop the session via the button on the screen on the pump (or does that still require me to stop the session via the app as well)

·
Evezy £50 code - cada7
146 Posts
Thanks for that. I did wonder if they can stop the session via the button on the screen on the pump (or does that still require me to stop the session via the app as well)
Stop button only works on the charger if you started it via the charger on free vend. Otherwise it will just give you a screen saying it is awaiting instruction from the user's app to end the session.

Only way you can stop the session on paid vend is by using the emergency stop button, which only the biggest of a**holes use. Thankfully most people, no matter how terrible they are tend to not use them since they don't always have expected results. They will sometimes shut down completely until an engineer resets it, meaning they can't get a charge afterwards which generally screws them over more than it does you, who has probably already got a good amount of charge at that point.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Annoyingly it's only chademo that does this. CCS and Type 2 AC both lock at the vehicle end, not the charger. This means you still have to wait after charging has ended.
That's not entirely correct. At least some cars (Kona is one) allow the driver to select whether the car end is always locked/unlocked with the doors or locked while charging and unlocked when charging terminates.

·
Evezy £50 code - cada7
146 Posts
That's not entirely correct. At least some cars (Kona is one) allow the driver to select whether the car end is always locked/unlocked with the doors or locked while charging and unlocked when charging terminates.
Oh, I stand corrected. Good to know that some manufacturers are now dealing with this issue!

I have a feeling that this setting is probably one of them things that's set to lock at all times as standard, and something that drivers don't know about, nor are they explained why it may be good to switch on though?

It would be good if it would set to always lock on AC, but not lock if it's DC charging on all cars really. I've had issues with Polar Ultrachargers for example where its only able to have one active session at a time. I've found an I-pace plugged in for an excess of 10 hours. Even the overstay penalty wasn't a good enough deterrent for them it seems.

·
Registered
11,096 Posts
To think - Ikea could have commissioned 12 AC chargers at all their sites, which would have cost far less and prevented less heartache all round.

·
Evezy £50 code - cada7
146 Posts
To think - Ikea could have commissioned 12 AC chargers at all their sites, which would have cost far less and prevented less heartache all round.
They have a healthy mix of AC and rapid at the Greenwich IKEA yet they still get abused, and people still moan about how it should be better.

No matter what you do, you won't please everyone.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Oh, I stand corrected. Good to know that some manufacturers are now dealing with this issue!

I have a feeling that this setting is probably one of them things that's set to lock at all times as standard, and something that drivers don't know about, nor are they explained why it may be good to switch on though?

It would be good if it would set to always lock on AC, but not lock if it's DC charging on all cars really. I've had issues with Polar Ultrachargers for example where its only able to have one active session at a time. I've found an I-pace plugged in for an excess of 10 hours. Even the overstay penalty wasn't a good enough deterrent for them it seems.

trouble with the polar is once the charge stops they cant see if the car is still plugged in :( so can set there for as long they like :( would be nice if it kept some sort of pilot on so they know if you are still plugged in and can fine you.

·
Evezy £50 code - cada7
146 Posts
trouble with the polar is once the charge stops they cant see if the car is still plugged in :( so can set there for as long they like :( would be nice if it kept some sort of pilot on so they know if you are still plugged in and can fine you.

This one definitely seemed to be counting the time still. Though I notice from looking again at the image that the battery percentage wasn't displayed on the charger. So now I'm thinking maybe they had plugged in on AC and slow charged on a rapid for more than 10 hours?

If that's the case I'm very happy to know that their own stupidity has caused them to get £90 worth of overstay charges that they would have otherwise avoided.

As I said though, this car is sadly somewhat regular to this location and gets left plugged in for long periods of time fairly often. So if they are getting these charges they clearly don't care too much about it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sure hope they get fined :D just the one we got up town, seen cars on it that has hit full charge, then the car shut down and the charger shows it is ready for another car, but you cant since they are still plugged in, and parked so the other cables wont reach.

Makes me wonder if it is worth giving polar a call and ensure they will fine them :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts