Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone watch the matches last night? Although an England fan, I was mightily impressed with Wales performance, I think they performed admirably and would love them to progress. A shame we will be forced to give them a good humping on the 16th - I hope they go through with us though .......

Here is a modestly good tracker summary for the competition.

Regarding Englands performance, absolutely typical. After dominating the game and getting in front I KNEW that once we tried to defend a 1 goal lead it would all go pear-shaped in the last 5 minutes. Was impressed with performances by Walker and Rose, not so much by Rooney or Sterling both of whom were disappointing. Really disappointing to draw against a Russia, a side who looked completely overwhelmed for the majority of the match.

Raheem Sterling seems never to change, blazing fast, goes past people but can't put a decent ball on the end of it EVER.

I think Hodgeson has got to play Wilshere and Vardy from the get-go.

Anyway there were some encouraging signs, we didn't look THAT vulnerable at the back and created bazillions of chances - MORE GOALS PLEASE ROY

My guess is we shall get to the quarters and get massacred by Germany, France or the like ..... would love to hear your thoughts

CMON ENGLAND (and Wales and N.I), love the Euros, so exciting, even though we always do s****. The drama, the footie, the crowds, the being glued to the telly, the haircuts ....

Note : My Scottish friends will no doubt thank me for not mentioning 1966 ..... OOPS, lol

Jolltax

·
Registered
147 Posts
Regarding Englands performance, absolutely typical. After dominating the game and getting in front I KNEW that once we tried to defend a 1 goal lead it would all go pear-shaped in the last 5 minutes. Was impressed with performances by Walker and Rose, not so much by Rooney or Sterling both of whom were disappointing. Really disappointing to draw against a Russia, a side who looked completely overwhelmed for the majority of the match.
Agreed, I was so disappointed that they just immediately sat back and tried to play the game out. Why won't they learn that we are safer when we have the ball and we are in their half! Even the commentators were saying 'all we have to do is get to the end of the game' wrong wrong wrong. It just really bugs me that everyone was saying afterwards 'the lads should be pleased, there wuz a lot of positivs to take away from the match'. I don't care about positives, I want points and bloody wins! That's all that matters in these competitions! Play badly and bloody well win.

Now I remember why I prefer watching the rugby!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It just really bugs me that everyone was saying afterwards 'the lads should be pleased, there wuz a lot of positivs to take away from the match'. I don't care about positives, I want points and bloody wins!
+1 - but I guess footballers are so used to talking bollocks to TV cameras these days they can't help themselves

I think most England fans would settle for a crap performance with a winning result rather than "We played really well and deserved to win but didn't" .... especially during the group stages - lets just concentrate on results.

In other news .....
Uh oh, predictably strong performance from Germany and sadly it looks like N.I. just don't have enough to compete.
Will be interesting to see if Spain show up today, they certainly have the players .... they won't meet Germany in the quarters though, unfortunately, if my understanding of the draw is correct.

Busy moulding a wax doll of Gareth Bale in time for Thursday ....

J

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Italy surprised me, and Belgium were really disappointing. Republic of Ireland : what a shame to lose to an own goal, I really thought Sweden would be too much for them but they did brilliantly and are holding their own in the "group of Death"

One thing I am learning is that all my predictions and pre-conceived ideas about who would do well have been pretty much wrong, so maybe there is hope for England yet ......

I gotta try and get an early night, all this football on telly is starting to affect my health as I am staying up after work to watch the matches.

In other news, is the mascot a bit creepy or is it just me?

UPDATE : He comes with his own creepy bio as well :

Who am I?
I'm just an ordinary kid, like so many others! I was born in a small town in France. My father used to be a good footballer and, since a very young age, I have always loved playing football with my friends. I am not as good as my father was, but I am always trying to improve my skills. For me the most important thing when playing football is to have fun and play fair!

Creepy, brrrrr

J

·
Leaf lover
3,696 Posts
The best defence of a one goal lead is a two goal lead.
I am one of those sad individuals who doesn't start to enjoy the torturement until England have been knocked out, so much do I want us to win.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thought Rooney had a really good game actually, agree about Sterling and Lallana has never really impressed at this level. I too would have Wilshere on from the start because just like Dele Alli he makes things happen. I also though the 2 full backs were excellent the best we've had since Cole.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The best defence of a one goal lead is a two goal lead.
+1
I also though the 2 full backs were excellent the best we've had since Cole.
You're right, I was expecting us to be awful in defence (partly because I was influenced what all the pundits were saying) and its was better than expected although I am not sure what we will look like against more attacking teams.

I think we will beat Wales, we should be able to keep Bale quiet and win as long as we don't sit back after scoring one goal :cool:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another heart-stopping last minute recovery after we pummel Wales for the best part of 90 minutes.,

Thank goodness. I hope Wales beat Russia, we beat Slovakia and that we both go through, love Wales and their fighting spirit.

Talk about masterstroke bringing on Vardy and Sturridge. I know Kane can't stop scoring in the Premiership but he has been anonymous at the Euros, I think he should be keeping the bench warm personally.

Huge relief, sorry Wales.

J

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sooooooooo... I guess best possible outcome (for me) was England top with Wales second .... <3 Wales

I thought England last night were similar to all the previous matches: we look dangerous, create a lot of chances but fail to score any goals. In spite of all our strikers we don't seem to have anyone really clinical, I remain hopeful Vardy or Kane might change down a gear and come good (sorry for ICE reference)

Defensively we have looked more solid than expected (apart from another Joe Hart mistake) but I don't think we have played anyone really dangerous yet (sorry for that comment Wales).

I can settle for Wales-England as Wales have been great and I have loved seeing them do so well. England now play the second team in group F - could be any of them apart from possibly Austria. My gut feel is that Portugal will beat Hungary and Iceland will beat Austria so then its down to goal difference I guess........... maybe Iceland will finish second and play England?

Note : I have an unfeasible almost 100% record of getting match predictions wrong so far so pffffft

CMON England

J

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Predictions are funny things, given that there are only three possible results, win, loose or draw, why are we wrong far more than 1 in 3
Exactly my point, if I was a monkey I would expect to be right 30% of the time, of course an Octopus would get it right much more often .....

I notice that Porcupines (from the link above) are not good predictors, hmmm.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's half time and we are losing to Iceland, YES WE ARE THAT S****

So annoyed, for flips sake take Sterling off, what is he even doing in the starting line up, he has been awful the ENTIRE COMPETITION.

I need to calm down a bit.

J

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
It's ok though, they are playing well and we have most of the possession. Of course, if we lose we could always get a petition up to have the game replayed. :whistle:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Is it me or is Rooney having a shocker? Tripping over the ball, losing possession and crosses that go straight out! He's looking a bit clueless! This is just embarrassing.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Blimey, its so hard being an England fan.

Utter Utter crap. I am so glad Roy Hodgeson has gone he made some really weird decisions and looked out of his depth

- Raheem Sterling, Harry Kane and Joe Hart all in the starting 11 after playing badly through the whole competition
- Wilshere as super-sub, wtf? He took him off after trying for half an hour last match - he is talented but the guy has hardly played all season
- Rashford came on with 5 minutes to play
- What system were we supposed to be playing, I have NO IDEA.

The second half was the most abject and worst performance I can remember from England, @DavidEJM is right, Rooney lost it (along with the whole team) for the entire second half - giving the ball away, incomplete passes, desparate hail-mary style long balls.

Utterly sad.

Fair play to Iceland who looked 100% committed and played their hearts out, mostly without the ball and capitalised on the chances they had - reality is though, they play like a Championship team who have made it to the FA Cup - a highly motivated and well organised group of players who defend en-masse and hope for some luck to pinch a victory.

I think we should give the England job to a younger, more ambitious and energetic manager and take a risk instead of continuously going for these wizened 'tried and tested' guys

Gutted. Now I can move on and look forward to the World Cup and further disappointments

Come on Wales!

J

·
Leaf lover
3,696 Posts
Blimey, its so hard being an England fan.

Utter Utter crap. I am so glad Roy Hodgeson has gone he made some really weird decisions and looked out of his depth

- Raheem Sterling, Harry Kane and Joe Hart all in the starting 11 after playing badly through the whole competition
- Wilshere as super-sub, wtf? He took him off after trying for half an hour last match - he is talented but the guy has hardly played all season
- Rashford came on with 5 minutes to play
- What system were we supposed to be playing, I have NO IDEA.

The second half was the most abject and worst performance I can remember from England, @DavidEJM is right, Rooney lost it (along with the whole team) for the entire second half - giving the ball away, incomplete passes, desparate hail-mary style long balls.

Utterly sad.

Fair play to Iceland who looked 100% committed and played their hearts out, mostly without the ball and capitalised on the chances they had - reality is though, they play like a Championship team who have made it to the FA Cup - a highly motivated and well organised group of players who defend en-masse and hope for some luck to pinch a victory.

I think we should give the England job to a younger, more ambitious and energetic manager and take a risk instead of continuously going for these wizened 'tried and tested' guys

Gutted. Now I can move on and look forward to the World Cup and further disappointments

Come on Wales!

J
I know someone who has made themselves available just the other day.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,563 Posts
I was listening to a pre-match discussion with so called pundits who only seemed to want to talk about playing France, I got the distinct impression that they felt it was a foregone conclusion, I had an overwhelming feeling that it wasn't going to go well, I wonder if the England team went into the match also thinking it was also a foregone conclusion and totally under estimated their opposition.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts