Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are monthly and YTD sales numbers for plug-in vehicles (BEV and PHEV) for Europe

Top 20 Ranked by YTD volume.

i-Pace and Model S didn't make the top 20.

D-size

E size

Source:

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,662 Posts
So, assuming the ID.3 delivered roughly 30k cars in Sep, that maybe good enough for 3rd place in the YTD!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Interesting that the Model 3 overtook Zoe in August.

·
Registered
252 Posts
So, assuming the ID.3 delivered roughly 30k cars in Sep, that maybe good enough for 3rd place in the YTD!
I think I did read it’ll be 27,500 a month from 2021, which is very impressive. I’m not sure what the production rate is at the moment. It’ll be interesting to see how sales go once giga Berlin starts production considering the ID3 is encroaching in Model3 territory for pricing.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,662 Posts
I think I did read it’ll be 27,500 a month from 2021, which is very impressive. I’m not sure what the production rate is at the moment. It’ll be interesting to see how sales go once giga Berlin starts production considering the ID3 is encroaching in Model3 territory for pricing.
What? Sorry, could not understand...
The ID.3 1st Ed is 30k cars, my uncertainty is based around how many VW has actually delivered to customers in Sep (they were all produced in advance). By the end of 2020, VW has claimed a 100k ID.3s production capacity and 5k a week has been reported in an online publication.

The Berlin Giga is irrelevant for at least another year. By that time VW would have 300k capacity: ID.3 and ID.4, probably some Skoda/SEAT as well.

·
Registered
252 Posts
What? Sorry, could not understand...
The ID.3 1st Ed is 30k cars
So have they converted the second line already? That should take them upto 330,000 per year (27,500 month).

This article is a year old so things may have changed.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The Berlin Giga is irrelevant for at least another year.
I think many potential buyers will wait it out and see if the cost of the ID series and Tesla will reduce as production ramps up/starts. If not I’m sure many will sway towards Tesla due to the high cost of the ID (I would).

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,662 Posts
So have they converted the second line already? That should take them upto 330,000 per year (27,500 month).

This article is a year old so things may have changed.
Aaa, I get it. I'm assuming the second line is up and running as the ID.4 is expected for deliveries in Dec'20. It hasn't been mentioned but I'm assuming ID.3 and El-born are on the same line, the ID.4 and Skoda on the other... pure speculation though.

If you want to wait it out, go ahead. I did wait for the ID.3 and ended up with a Kia :devilish:

Edit: I know that Tesla seem to play with the prices a little bit, but I don't expect any huge changes in costing. The ID.3 line is already costed and any change will happen in a couple of years time earliest. My point is, I don't expect any significant changes in the next year.

Reactions: Dion Rust

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think many potential buyers will wait it out and see if the cost of the ID series and Tesla will reduce as production ramps up/starts. If not I’m sure many will sway towards Tesla due to the high cost of the ID (I would).
I think the one to watch is the Skoda Enyaq, the starting price is advertised as £33,450 before PICG for the entry level 60kWh model, so after grant £30k.

I think there's quite a few existing EV models with prices which suddenly start to look distinctly uncompetitive if Skoda can deliver it at the promised price.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Interesting that the Model 3 overtook Zoe in August.
anyone know is Renault stopped production 1005 of the Zoe March-July during lockdown, because we know the Model 3 production was stopped, so i assume Model 3 arriving in Europe Q2 / Early Q3 was massively down.

·
Registered
604 Posts
IMHO VW are price gouging on the ID3 and ID4 now while they have little direct competition brand / tech wise. Once GF Berlin is producing i expect the price of the TM3 SR+ to drop to €35000 before grants. This means VW dont drop the higher end ID3's to €30k level and the ID4 to €35k then a big chunk of sales are going to Tesla. VW have made the ID4 cheaper than the MODEL Y in the USA, because they know it's not good enough to be a like for like product and once specced up to TMY levels, like for like, is more expensive.

·
Registered
604 Posts
And if Gigafactory Berlin produced TM3 SR+ matched in price the mid spec ID3 ? I would have the Tesla all day long.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I think the one to watch is the Skoda Enyaq, the starting price is advertised as £33,450 before PICG for the entry level 60kWh model, so after grant £30k.

I think there's quite a few existing EV models with prices which suddenly start to look distinctly uncompetitive if Skoda can deliver it at the promised price.
Problem is there are pretty much 3 things in the UK we all expect from our BEV, even on entry level models. Heated Front Seats, Heated steering wheel, Heat Pump, so we have the best chance of not killing the range in winter. I don't believe the entry level Skoda Enyaq has any of those things, speccing the heat pump alone is +£1k.

·
Registered
272 Posts
IMHO VW are price gouging on the ID3 and ID4 now while they have little direct competition brand / tech wise. Once GF Berlin is producing i expect the price of the TM3 SR+ to drop to €35000 before grants. This means VW dont drop the higher end ID3's to €30k level and the ID4 to €35k then a big chunk of sales are going to Tesla. VW have made the ID4 cheaper than the MODEL Y in the USA, because they know it's not good enough to be a like for like product and once specced up the TMY levels like for like is more expensive.
VW will be looking at the market and designing and pricing their vehicle thinking not only about competitors but also the market, who their potential customers are and what they can afford. And one thing is certain, there's more potential buyers of an EV priced at $40,000 than one priced at $50,000. and yet more again at $30,000 etc etc.

The success of a car model is not purely about technical spec, it's a balance of technical, design and cost.

I think a lot of EV enthusiasts miss how important cost is, the biggest selling and most successful cars are typically reasonably affordable, they are not the most technically advanced.

The company to take the EV prize won't be the one with the most technically advanced car, or self-driving or the fastest 0-60 times, it will be the one which can make a car which is good enough for the average driver at a price the average driver can afford, even if it lacks some of the bells and whistles.

·
Registered
Vauxhall Ampera, 2012 Electron
135 Posts

Of course the conversation goes at the stealership
"Would you like wheels with that, a windscreen, a motor? I am afraid they are all extra2!"

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,662 Posts
I agree about the Enyaq, it will be an interesting car to watch. But I'm afraid that the bottom of the line version will not look anything like what they have shown so far. 🤔☹

·
Super Moderator
11,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
anyone know is Renault stopped production 1005 of the Zoe March-July during lockdown, because we know the Model 3 production was stopped, so i assume Model 3 arriving in Europe Q2 / Early Q3 was massively down.
Renault shutdown the Flins plant where they make Zoe on 16 March.

Renault Flins restarted early May.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I didn't even think the eGolf was still available?

Also no way did more people buy the obscure Kuga PHEV than something like the MG ZS EV, which isn’t even on the list?

Is the list flawed or is my perception skewed?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,662 Posts
I didn't even think the eGolf was still available?
They have extended the production a couple of times already. I think the latest deadline is Nov'20. But looking at the way it is selling... VW might just keep offering it. Or just change the badge on the front and keep on going....

1 - 20 of 46 Posts