Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this up via twitter (original tweet below).

Now, the article is a little unclear in terms of the time period references, it states that the figures are from January to June 2014, however I could not see which historic range it's being compared to (i.e. the same period for 2013 or the previous six months).

Anyway, here's the really positive bit for all of us:

The most dynamic segment across Europe remained electric cars, which – from a very low base though – climbed 91% to 23,826 vehicles. The fastest-rising models were Tesla’s Model S and the BMW i3, while Nissan’s Leaf remained the best-selling model in the segment, rising 56% to 7,127 cars.
Source: http://www.inautonews.com/european-sales-recovery-brings-many-segment-shake-ups#.VBv9DZOLXgx

Twitter:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Question: Will the UK infrastructure for EV rapid charging grow equally fast?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I'd argue that it shouldn't. There's not a lot of point expanding a network that will become redundant in a couple of years when new tech comes along.

Once we can charge a car in a couple of minutes, then we're in business.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'd argue that it shouldn't. There's not a lot of point expanding a network that will become redundant in a couple of years when new tech comes along. Once we can charge a car in a couple of minutes, then we're in business.
Charging just one 36 kWh battery in 2 minutes (assuming C30 could be doable) would require 1.08 Mega-Watt if AC to DC rectification was 100% efficient. If still about 90% efficient at best "in a couple of years" then each charger would need to be connected to a 1.20 Mega-Watt supply (~3,000 amps at ~400 volts) and 120 kilo-Watts would be released as heat! Ecotricity is already having difficulty finding enough sites that can support 2*50 kilo-Watts. Several 1.2 Mega-Watt loads going on and off in one place isn't feasible with our Electric Grid, unless the Aliens arrive next year and show us how to do it. How big would that plug have to be? Doubt many of us would be able to lift it...

Reactions: Brooktop

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
It's all about the people without driveways IMO. If you can't get an electric car to charge in a couple of minutes, you can't sell electric cars to those people. If you can't sell a fuel type to everyone, it won't be the dominant fuel type. So.. you either learn how to charge them fast, or make them not require charging, or use a different fuel type.

·
Registered
396 Posts
It's all about the people without driveways IMO. If you can't get an electric car to charge in a couple of minutes, you can't sell electric cars to those people. If you can't sell a fuel type to everyone, it won't be the dominant fuel type. So.. you either learn how to charge them fast, or make them not require charging, or use a different fuel type.
I suppose they must be parking their cars somewhere so it might be possible to look into providing charging facilities there. The charging posts could be on the pavement edge where they could also act as bollards, for example.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I know I was being lightly grilled as to whether I would have off street access to charging when checking out the Zoe..with undertones of "You're not getting it unless you can!" "Alloam" from his youtube diaries on his Zoe has been charging exclusively from public supply,so it can't be an either/or decision..WANTING the car in the first place seems to be the decider..

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
There'll never be planning permission granted for putting charging posts in public footpaths.

There may be a few people happy to charge from public only, but there's a few million who aren't.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Don't forget the goverment has a scheme to fund local authoritiies to install on street chargers for EV owners who apply for them. Having said that, I've never heard of one being installed under the scheme.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
There'll never be planning permission granted for putting charging posts in public footpaths.

There may be a few people happy to charge from public only, but there's a few million who aren't.
Wrong.

I bet they said the same about telegraph poles and cabinets for landline phones. How about mobile phone masts in sacrosanct Green Belt?

Kerbside charging is wholly compatible with 'sustainable development' – the 'golden thread' running through the National Planning Policy Framework.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Already have pavement chargers in my home city. You park at the side of the road and plug in.

Now, whether there is any chance of them being installed outside people's houses - that's another matter. But we already have lamp posts installed, and overnight charging is a low current draw. In fact, my council is replacing sodium street lights with LED ones. That has cut consumption from 250W to 120W or so, making 130W available for an EV charger using existing infrastructure ...

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
This can't be true as they already exist on footpaths in central Newcastle, for example. Plenty of kerbside Elektrobay 7kW charge posts there. And they look just like tall bollards.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
This can't be true as they already exist on footpaths in central Newcastle, for example. Plenty of kerbside Elektrobay 7kW charge posts there. And they look just like tall bollards.
The highways authority has permitted development rights to install charging posts along with street signs, traffic lights, etc.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I believe that if you drive whatever car thats your choice I think billy misses the free driving, sorry I feel so smug
Lol

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Just to clarify - when I say people without driveways - I mean people who park outside their house on the street. I really don't see charge points being installed outside everyone's house.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
According the Land Registry, around 70% of UK dwellings have access to off road parking. What they haven't done (yet) is to then break this 70% down into Freehold vs allocated to Leasehold vs communal etc.

Obviously this is an average, and the needle swings higher outside metropolitan areas and lower within. Interesting number for policy makers to use to decide how much weight to put on public (on street) vs private (in various flavours).

If you have a pot of money, and split it 70/30 in favour of private charging, and then consider that each charger within the 30% is much more expensive than those in the 70%, one is left with an explanation for the perceived "focus" on private instead of public charging...

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Plenty all over London

Don't forget the goverment has a scheme to fund local authoritiies to install on street chargers for EV owners who apply for them. Having said that, I've never heard of one being installed under the scheme.
I am lobbying London Borough of Newham to put one in my street , they have tried telling me there are no more funds available but I think they are just too lazy to fill the form in, I have a friendly councillor pushing it for me, so fingers crossed it will happen before the scheme ends in March !!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts