Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking this a while back as we drove through a rather lovely area in Warwickshire. The houses were "nice", the area was "nice", and I imagine it cost a fair bit to live there. But would I ever want to move to that area? No chance, not at all.

Why?

Because I was sat in a queue of traffic that seemed to go on for a mile, all around me were the usual cars, with a splattering of bigger "posher" cars (as we were in a "nice" area). All I could think of was how horrid that must be to live there.

Fumes. Fumes all the time, and LOADS of fumes at peak hours. Fumes that dirty the road, dirty the properties, that my children and I would have to breath in all day (and mostly when walking to and from school/work). And the noise, engines stopping and starting, stalling, rumbling away, droning... What a horrible idea.

But that made me stop and think.

Replace all those dirty, noisy cars with EVs.

The world has changed, I live in my lovely house and there's no fumes, there's no noise at rush hour, there's no smog... Now THERE I could live, that would be pretty cool.

Then I realise what a lovely place this could be, our cities and major towns transformed, high streets and thoroughfares become pleasant places, nice places to live. Big old houses on CLEAN routes.

Honestly, I know mass EV adoption is some way off, but I can see it having a real impact on people's lives and their property values, it'd open up so many places that many of us would turn our noses up at the moment PURELY because the traffic is "horrible".

Short version... if you live on a main road that gets busy at rush hour, you should try and buy an EV and get everyone else to as well, your life would be transformed! :D

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I'm the same. Whenever I find myself sat in a a Jam, I realise just how nasty it must be to live next to it.

Traffic noise (and terrible driving) was one of the factors that influenced pur decision to move.

And we were getting increasingly pi&&&d off with chavvy ****s using the street as some sort of racetrack. It was only a matter of time before one of our pets got run over & killed by a burberry capped ned in a corsa or Saxo; one of the local weed dealers would park in the lane alongside our house for hours in his fat-piped white BMW 3-series, just sat there with his engine idling. He didn't care about wasting all that fuel. This was every other night, and often till 2am on weekends. Confronting him about it would have been foolish. The local police didn't give a monkeys either.

We stuck it out for 8 years, but it had gotten to the point where we couldn't take it anymore. So we moved.

The mortgage on the new house is 4x what we were paying on the old house, but it's worth it. It's a detached house in a semi-rural suburb of Cardiff, on a quiet cul-de-sac. In the evenings you can hear a pin drop indoors. People slow down to walking pace when they drive along the street. We can chat to our neighbors. The cats have free reign to come and go as they please. Seeing a police car is a newsworthy event.

I never realised just how much we tolerated until we moved!

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is exactly why I changed to an EV. The noise and fumes in the centre of our town (which has narrow streets with high walls in places) is sometimes overwhelming. This puts people off shopping in town, which then has a knock on effect on local retailers. If I'm honest this was a stronger reason than the environmental benefits, important though those are. We already have air quality which is poor enough to breach EU guidelines here, but getting people out of their cars is beyond my powers of persuasion! Getting them into EV's instead solves part of the problem, which is good enough for now. Now, if only I could get a fleet of electric buses to replace all those short journeys people do from one side of town to the other.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sure, I meant the specifics of carbon emissions, but I agree. Just rebalancing the effect of the traffic in favour of pedestrians has a massive effect, and cutting noise and fumes really contributes. We're so inured to traffic noise but it's wonderful when it stops.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts