Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am a learner driver, taking lessons in a Nissan Leaf. I love the lessons, and was wondering if anyone could share their opinions on whether an EV would be a good first time car for when (if!) I pass my driving test?
As it would be my first car it would probably make most sense to buy a used car. Has anyone any recommendations or advice they could offer me?

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
341 Posts
Bear in mind that the Nissan Leaf is classed as an automatic. If you pass your test in an automatic, and then wish to drive a manual transmission car you will have to take another test.
For flexibility I would recommend to learn and take a test in manual transmission car then you can drive an automatic without taking another test.
Just because now you think you'll never drive a manual transmission vehicle doesn't mean to say in the future the situation will arise, e.g. hiring a car (by default these are mostly manual with a price premium for automatic.).

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
What Mike says.

However, I presume you are already aware of that.

Assuming you are from N.Ireland you might like to get some insurance quotes first before making a decision!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am already aware of that! For personal reasons, I have chosen to drive automatic, I am aware of the limitations that come with it! I I live in England so will also need to have a look at insurance quotes

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I am surprised more People don't pass in autos just to master road skills etc without worrying about stalking, hill starts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
You need to consider how far you wish to drive each day and if you need a rapid charger for long distance travel. Some have 3kW or 6kW chargers with option of rapid also. Can you chzrge at home?
Driving an automatic is going to become routine soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need to consider how far you wish to drive each day and if you need a rapid charger for long distance travel. Some have 3kW or 6kW chargers with option of rapid also. Can you chzrge at home?
Driving an automatic is going to become routine soon.
Thanks for your reply! I would not be able to charge at home, but there are 2 charging ports right opposite my house at the local train station so it should not be a major issue?- My workplace is only about 4 miles away from where I live and to be honest that would be my major need for the car. I live in a pretty central location, so it would just really be for work/running a few errands and the very occasional long distance journey.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
If you have 250 quid/mth burning a hole in your pocket, leasing a new KIA Soul is the best way into a well-specced EV (1200 deposit and 200/mth for 2 years)

Better car than LEAF in pretty much every way (other than the boot is a bit smaller)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Bear in mind that the Nissan Leaf is classed as an automatic. If you pass your test in an automatic, and then wish to drive a manual transmission car you will have to take another test.
For flexibility I would recommend to learn and take a test in manual transmission car then you can drive an automatic without taking another test.
Just because now you think you'll never drive a manual transmission vehicle doesn't mean to say in the future the situation will arise, e.g. hiring a car (by default these are mostly manual with a price premium for automatic.).
I disagree. I've never found it to be a significant disadvantage and made me think "I wish I'd taken my test in a manual transmission vehicle". If you can pass your test a lot quicker, cheaper and easier in an automatic and there's no obvious reason for manual, I think it's better to save the time and money now rather than spend it on something you might not even need in the future.

Many countries are a lot more advanced in switching to automatics than old Blighty, eg when I hired a car in Australia automatic was almost the only option. Even in South Africa which is like the UK, it wasn't hard or significantly more expensive to hire an automatic, probably less than the cost of one driving lesson.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I disagree. I've never found it to be a significant disadvantage and made me think "I wish I'd taken my test in a manual transmission vehicle". If you can pass your test a lot quicker, cheaper and easier in an automatic and there's no obvious reason for manual, I think it's better to save the time and money now rather than spend it on something you might not even need in the future.

Many countries are a lot more advanced in switching to automatics than old Blighty, eg when I hired a car in Australia automatic was almost the only option. Even in South Africa which is like the UK, it wasn't hard or significantly more expensive to hire an automatic, probably less than the cost of one driving lesson.
Yeah, apparently there is such a rise in automatic cars as well. My driving instructor said that 40% of cars sold last year were automatic, the numbers will just go higher and higher! I was getting a lot of anxiety driving manual cars, I weighed up the options and realised I didn't/nor wanted to put myself through so much stress. I actually enjoy my lessons now! I am so uncoordinated, and I had to put so much effort into coordinating the gear changes, I was taking my concentration off the road. I know the "limitations" around driving an automatic car, but surely my life would be even more limiting if I never learned to drive and couldn't drive any car at all!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you have 250 quid/mth burning a hole in your pocket, leasing a new KIA Soul is the best way into a well-specced EV (1200 deposit and 200/mth for 2 years)

Better car than LEAF in pretty much every way (other than the boot is a bit smaller)
Bearing in mind it is my first time car, I don't think I fancy spending 250 quid/mth on it. I was hoping to just buy a used car that could do me up to about 5-6 years. I don't want to shell out so much money for it, while still in the learning phase. Also if I were to lease a car, I would probably do it through the NHS as they have a very good car scheme to offer!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
The move to hybrid/EV will kill of the manual gearbox. As you said last year 40% autos and this year might see more autos than manuals sold for the first time ever in the UK.

Obviously elsewhere like the USA it's near impossible to get a manual car and has been like that for decades now.

Perhaps you could look at a hybrid as they are older and can be had a bit cheaper than an EV and they drive in a similar way.

·
Madam Legurtz
402 Posts
Yeah, apparently there is such a rise in automatic cars as well. My driving instructor said that 40% of cars sold last year were automatic, the numbers will just go higher and higher! I was getting a lot of anxiety driving manual cars, I weighed up the options and realised I didn't/nor wanted to put myself through so much stress. I actually enjoy my lessons now! I am so uncoordinated, and I had to put so much effort into coordinating the gear changes, I was taking my concentration off the road. I know the "limitations" around driving an automatic car, but surely my life would be even more limiting if I never learned to drive and couldn't drive any car at all!
You've got yourself a really good Driving Instructor there, working to your needs rather than anyone's ideas of what you should drive. The "drive a manual" mantra is getting quite old. It did indeed apply back in the 70s but fast forward to now and it really is more or less irrelevant. Travelling abroad I find it easy enough and not much more expensive to hire an Automatic, which I do simply because it does free up some brain cycles to get on with driving on the "wrong " side of the road in the "wrong" side of the car :) Although I've happily driven foreign manual cars.

Trust your instincts and go EV without worries about the Automatic licence. As a younger person you are facing a future where Manual vehicles will become rather quaint in your own lifetime.

As to cars, the oldest and thus the cheapest are likely to be the Nissan Leaf. I'm not sure I'd trust the older designs from other makers. With your stated local mileage even one with a degraded battery (thus limited range) would likely do for you. But of course, that has to be something you factor in to the overall equation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The move to hybrid/EV will kill of the manual gearbox. As you said last year 40% autos and this year might see more autos than manuals sold for the first time ever in the UK.

Obviously elsewhere like the USA it's near impossible to get a manual car and has been like that for decades now.

Perhaps you could look at a hybrid as they are older and can be had a bit cheaper than an EV and they drive in a similar way.
Thanks I will have a look into it! I have seen lots of adverts for the reanult zoe for really good value- which I have also considered. Some cars which were registered in 2015/16 going for under £8k I don't know yet much about the battery leasing, but from what I could see it's £70 per month? Which I think is pretty reasonable. I need to do a lot of further research into it, but I also have a lot of time left to decide! Just getting to know some peoples opinions.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
the Kia and the Leaf are awful looking

get a second hand Zoe ;)

as for auto vs manual - quicker is arse as you can pass a manual in 3 days or 20hrs. Roadcraft doesn't come quicker in an auto.

JJ

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the Kia and the Leaf are awful looking

get a second hand Zoe ;)

as for auto vs manual - quicker is arse as you can pass a manual in 3 days or 20hrs. Roadcraft doesn't come quicker in an auto.

JJ[/QUOTEI don't feIt will still take me just as long I am sure, but it is definitely less stressful!
I am not under the impression I will pass much quicker in an automatic than a manual, I know that understanding the rules of the road and responding to other drivers is the much bigger part of it! However, I actually feel safe driving an automatic and able to concentrate more on driving safely.
The ZOE does look like a very pretty car- though I am wondering why they are so cheap after a few years. I mean I am no expert myself, but a ZOE registered in 2015 with 15k miles at £6000 (some under) seems a bit too good to be true?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
re Zoe: The battery rental might trap you with the car as people are reluctant to pay that much per month on a second hand car.

Oh and if you're after a Zoe try to get a 40 model, the extra range is quite substantial and will also help it hold value.

·
Watford FC Supporter
99 Posts
An EV would make a much better first car than an ICE. They are easier to drive and have less things that can go wrong with them. Looks perfect for your driving requirements as well. You will become one of the first of many who will never drive an ICE.

There is not a lot of choice in second hand EVs. Bought a second hand C Zero for my wife. It impressed me so got another one for myself. They are small cheap and reliable as an alternative to Leaf/Zoe just a bit rare. The Peugeot Ion and Mitsubishi i Miev are identical and basically the same car.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts