Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
That links to Facebook and I'm not a subscriber of theirs. Perhaps a link to a dedicated page on your college/university website maybe better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm that is strange, it should be a google form and have no connection to face book. I will try to resolve the issue, thank you!

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Hi Joel, just filled out your survey - I think you could improve it somewhat!
It's not clear if EVs are considered to be "Alternative Fuel Vehicles", "Miles per gallon" really isn't relevant to EVs (perhaps "Energy or Fuel efficiency"?), the "nationality" question doesn't seem to be allowing multiple selections despite what it says, many on this forum might think that 2040 is a bit late to be banning Petrol/Diesel vehicles and that they will have gone the way of the Dodo by then anyway, just due to market forces... and in my case I currently have access to one EV and one (old) diesel car - I'd anticipate having two electric vehicles (one long range - e.g. Tesla Model 3 - and one shorter range) within a few years - which doesn't quite fit any of your categories for the last question (though I selected "Currently own an EV"). Apologies for lack of punctuation.
Good luck with the dissertation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi jmacniel, thank you for the feed back I am afraid it is too late to change now, however, I will take your comments into consideration when analysing the limitations of the study. thank you for the feed back it is very welcome.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the changes that could be made to increase clarity such as the alternative fuels and the miles per gallon I have.

·
Leaf lover
4,007 Posts
Welcome to speakev Joel, nice to see you giving us responses as some post a survey and that's it.
Of course you are contacting the converted here and many supposedly more so than others.
I have clocked up about 79k miles in my lovely blue Leaf in 5 years and 12k miles in my i3 94 rex in one year.
I have yet to complete a survey offered here because I get started and then feel the options are insufficient and can only mislead those who seek answers.
However I am always willing to give opinions to what might intrigue you as to why we become ev owners.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Joel, Survey filled in , Since we here are in the main EV converts it would be interesting if you could give us some idea of how others respond, from groups like the Top Gear Appreciation society.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Being picky the government is not proposing to ban petrol or diesel in 2040 just proposing to ban petrol and diesel only engined cars the Hybrids are fine. It has to be said IMO this is really an exercise in kicking pollution into the long grass until we have left Europe and no longer have to follow the directives. Once that happens I think we can probably see this gently forgotten about.

Your survey on reading it is biased towards not having an EV IMO

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys, very valid points. yes I will put it on a more petrol head thread now currently I am using more local outlets to distribute and have around 122 responses of which 14 are EV drivers so the study is still overwhelmingly non EV users. the bias towards non EV users is for two reasons the first being that the majority of the respondents are not EV users and are still in the massive majority which leads on to the second factor which is the length of the survey if it is too long people will lose interest. getting people to do a survey is hard work so I am very grateful for this threads full hearted response, thank you guys.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Being picky the government is not proposing to ban petrol or diesel in 2040 just proposing to ban petrol and diesel only engined cars the Hybrids are fine....
Being picky... the government is proposing to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel only engined cars in 2040. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As to the limited choice in the study that is true, I was limited to the factors that had previously been highlighted in establish literature and constructed the survey on the back bone of previous surveys. If this were a Phd Study I would start by conducting a study on the factors however as I am a masters student I have to cut to the chase and play the game by the rules if I want a good mark.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Joel, just done the survey for you. I have to say, it looks very "simplistic" to me, e.g. the qn about what minimum range would you be confortable with? Currently I have a petrol/electric hybrid, so in effect unlimited range. I've answered 301+ miles as if I were to change my PHEV car for a pure EV, I'd want at least 400 miles (ok, might accept 300) because that's the car we do long non-stop trips in. But my wife I are a dual-car family, she drives a small city car, so if that were the next car we changed and she was doign this survey, she would probably be happy with a 51-75 mile range. Being in a dual-car family in itself allows a lot more flexibility than for say a 1-car family.

The qn about concern for the attributes fo an EV; I put 4 against Safety. That's because I'm not concerned, as I believe the batteries are extremely safe. OTOH I am concerned about safety, so I like lots of air-bags, auto-braking systems etc, but I take these as a "given" just as I would for any new car. Is this how you meant the qn to be understood? Hope so!

Can I recommend you read through the threads in SpeakEV? I think you'll find a great many insights that are simply not being thought about. Here's a couple for you; I reckon I drive less aggressively in an EV than I did in an ICE. Maybe because I'm a couple of years older? Or maybe because it's a lot quieter environment inside the EV, and maybe that reduces stress? Or is it because the EVs are so darned nippy, I can leave a larger gap between my car & the one in front, yet I can close that gap up "instantly" with zero fuss & noise, if , say, I want to get through the next lights before they change? Or is it because I can overtake other cars so much more easily & safely, that I'm less stressed when stuck behind someone as I'll be passing them so much sooner than I could in an ICE?

I also suffer from tinnitus, and find driving an EV soothing; my wife's Citroen C1 drives me up the wall now! maybe that's a factor in de-stressing me?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts