Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,068 Posts
Can you confirm the Soul EV has 11kW AC onboard charger?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Todor The Kia E-soul 64kWh that is available in the Netherlands has indeed a 11kW AC charger onboard.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,068 Posts
Ok, I asked as the UK spec doesn't have 11kw.

·
Registered
Soul EV 2020
47 Posts
Great effort - I've a problem with the averages as the efficiency/temperature graph won't be linear?
- otherwise the main takeaway I have is that the temperature differences between each run make direct comparisons unreliable - however they do give an indication of what the EV will do at the specific temperature!

·
Premium Member
11,588 Posts
If you want a more reliable data source I would suggest the NAF summer test as all cars were driven on same day in convoy, so weather and traffic had no significant variance. The site translates OK in Chrome.

·
Registered
Soul EV 2020
47 Posts
If you want a more reliable data source I would suggest the NAF summer test
Yes, that's good as it gives an idea of what the vehicle ranges are in summer vs winter - but i think the key comparitive measure missing is wh/km.

The problem I had with using Bjorn's figures for comparison is that eg I understood the e-Niro, e-Soul and e-kona to have the same powertrain and battery - so the differences he reports must reflect a significant temperature impact.
However the NAF test does show a significant difference between the Kona and the other two - so something is different!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great effort - I've a problem with the averages as the efficiency/temperature graph won't be linear?
- otherwise the main takeaway I have is that the temperature differences between each run make direct comparisons unreliable - however they do give an indication of what the EV will do at the specific temperature!
That's why it's also an average over all the tests that Bjorn has carried out so that a somewhat practical value comes out because the temperatures are also averaged.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, that's good as it gives an idea of what the vehicle ranges are in summer vs winter - but i think the key comparitive measure missing is wh/km.

The problem I had with using Bjorn's figures for comparison is that eg I understood the e-Niro, e-Soul and e-kona to have the same powertrain and battery - so the differences he reports must reflect a significant temperature impact.
However the NAF test does show a significant difference between the Kona and the other two - so something is different!
The aerodynamic and rolling resistance is of course also different for the mentioned types

·
Registered
259 Posts
Interesting that the Mini Cooper SE is the most efficient of all the cars tested but isn't aerodynamic at all (without doubt the best looking car though). Some sort of magic from BMW?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,068 Posts
Hyundai and Kia use different battery suppliers. Drivetrain should be the same though. And the rest is different aerodynamics.

Reactions: Tony Carter

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,068 Posts
Do they? Seems nonsensical given they’re part of the same group - you’d think they’d exercise the economies of scale.
I can't find the source, but one uses SK, the other Samsung.

Reactions: Kiltox

·
Premium Member
11,588 Posts
They had it in the tables previously but now missing. You can still find in the text and kWh per 100km is usual measure - below for IONIQ.

"At the end of the range test, we ended up with an average consumption of 11.1 kWt / 100 km"

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
485 Posts
Do they? Seems nonsensical given they’re part of the same group - you’d think they’d exercise the economies of scale.
apparently so.Possibly the only way they could increase production of the EVs, I believe battery had been limiting factor. Also could be that diversification is beneficial at this stage, hedge your bets. LG Chem, SK Innovation and Samsung all big players in the country but right now, with most models still petrol,they might be wanting to see who can actually meet production targets and price points.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting that the Mini Cooper SE is the most efficient of all the cars tested but isn't aerodynamic at all (without doubt the best looking car though). Some sort of magic from BMW?
I think it's because he is so small. The drag resistance is depended of the dag coefficient times the frontal surface of the car and the frontal surface of the mini is very small in comparison with other cars.

·
Registered
503 Posts
One can deduce the average consumption if they know the usable battery capacity, but it's an extra step that the authors of the article could have added. However, apart from the bunch of people on forums, it seems not many people care about consumption itself, but about range, so I'd assume that's why they left the wattage out - easier to read for mainstream.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
524 Posts
Yes, the table could be modifed to show the temperature (and rain?) data, which I am sure Bjorn recorded.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Yes, the table could be modifed to show the temperature (and rain?) data, which I am sure Bjorn recorded.
Temperature is showed now at every test. But I wil look if i can make several consumption columns with different temperatures for example 20,10,0, -10, -20 degrees Celsius, Wet and dry is to complicated.
I will also add the NAF testen. to be more complete.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts