Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there are a few people who have torn apart EV batteries for use in off-grid campers/RV's, I was wondering whether you could transplant the whole of a gen1 leaf or i-miev drivetrain into something like a sprinter van including the battery, charger and motor attached to the engine working in regenerative braking mode, any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
No I mean why put a Ev drive train in a van to drag it along using diesel to charge a set of batteries. I dont understand what the saving or point would be. If you want to charge batteries use a charger . If you dont have access to mains use an efficient generator. But you dont get good energy recovery from an EV, and dragging it all around will itself consume loads of power. Im clearly missing something here.
I get the off grid battery part, just not the idea you have posted.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
But the leaf would have the DC and AC chargers so why drag it to charge it? I'd hate to think how many miles dragging a leave would take to fill it up....

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Sorry I just dont get this. Why go to the lengths of buying a dead leaf, working out how to reverse engineer the control system , to turn it into a charger, engineer a new suspension system to mount it in a van, then use it to inefficiently charge a battery pack. An inverter generator and charger will do the whole thing much simpler and much cheaper. And you dont have to drag a few tonnes of van around to charge the batteries. But why keep the High voltage pack, no mains inverter works at 300to 400v use the leaf cells to build a 24v or 12v pack and invest in a high output alternator . Job done.
I have just fitted a 225a "Icecream Van" alternator to a AMG 65 4x4 to get over the problem of the ECU controlled Alternator giving little charge at low RPM. Old school and works a treat,no more 12v failure from long periods of tickover aircon, comms kit and display screens. No its not a normal Merc. This alternator is available for sprinters of all versions. So build a big 12v pack, charge on the go. Dont drag around half a nissan leaf, and its all achievable without re engineering a vehicle

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I have been pondering an EV van i.e a proper van L3 or 4 x H3 etc.
Cots models are silly money but what about installing two leaf drive trains in 4WD that would have the grunt to haul a 3.5 ton van which is typically what most motor home weigh & have a reasonable range but then reality sets in

An EV drive train is heavy, very heavy if you are unlucky enough to have a recent licence you are restricted to 3.5 tonnes wet including payload (which also includes the human fat bloater element) the current Cots EV vans only have approx 800kg payloads that is not enough.

Best current (affordable) option is the Nissan EV van several have now been built.

However getting a few leaf batteries and building a 2KW 12 or 24V off grid power supply is a totally realistic option

If you want to see this taken to true anorak proportions watch some of the videos from this bloke I hate to think just how much weight he has in his Garage!

Going Off Grid

1 - 9 of 9 Posts