Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting various responses from my own google searches on this subject.

I'm interested in purchasing a pre-owned EV. I have read the battery pack on new cars is usually guaranteed up till 100,000 miles. If I were to buy, say, a 2017 Kia Soul EV with around 35,000 miles(one of many I'm currently looking at) what would the battery pack replacement be when it dies out?

I just read somewhere that replacement pack costs have come down 80% between 2011 and 2016. Any idea what I might expect to pay in say, 5-6 years from now?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
It's be fine come 100k
My i3 has 80k as good as the day when it had 30k

Nissan leafs now they maybe different not as good battery management

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Kia has thermal management, unlike the early Leafs that had tons of problems especially in hot climates. When the battery "dies", perhaps around 150k miles, it may well be cheaper to change cars rather then repair. Battery is technically "dead" when range is 70% of original, but even then the range will be fine for a "banger" EV, and if not, it has a value to be recycled into house battery, or Grid backup etc. This issue is the least of my worries about EVs!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your replies. HandyAndy - as I'm new to EVs, what would be the most of your worries about EVs?

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
what would be the most of your worries about EVs?
Same as ICE ... The cost of the fricking electronic modules (controllers, display units) of which most cars have many. When they go tits-up out of warranty they can cost multiples of 4-figures to fix.
The traction batteries usually have a much longer warranty time and/or mileage.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
My Ampera has just had the charging socket & a module attached to it damaged by the portable "granny" EVSE which blew up. Car's being fixed, parts on order, but am expecting a bill around £600 to fix. It's similar to ICE though - if I'd had one of those, it might have needed a new clutch, or tirbocharged, ir gearbox, instead. Had a clutch go completely on a Peugeot 107 just after the 3 yrs wty had expired, that cost £600 for new clutch, engine-out, whatever else.

By and large, EVs are sure to be a lot more reliable than ICE, far fewer moving parts. But the high power circuitry doesn't come cheap. For my ID.3 I'll be looking closely at the VW 10-year extendeded warranty I expect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts