Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading in a Campervan magazine that an ev campervan won’t really be practical for many years.......

Now, I have seen one based on the Nissan NV200 but I was wondering whether any of the van converters have started to build campers based on electric powered vans.

·
Registered
ID3 Life
188 Posts
What was their reasoning for it not being practicable, just out of interest?

I would think the leisure side of the power needs would be the limiting factor and you'd probably need to ditch the gas burning side of things too. I can usually go for a few days with just topping up my leisure battery with the solar panel on the roof, but I'm not running anything major other than a small fridge. Heat would be the biggest hurdle for me.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What was their reasoning for it not being practicable, just out of interest?

I would think the leisure side of the power needs would be the limiting factor and you'd probably need to ditch the gas burning side of things too. I can usually go for a few days with just topping up my leisure battery with the solar panel on the roof, but I'm not running anything major other than a small fridge. Heat would be the biggest hurdle for me.
Range / Capacity would be Inadequate for touring. Too difficult to charge at campsites and anyway evs are not very reliable and the batteries won’t last very long 😀

·
Registered
ID3 Life
188 Posts
Range / Capacity would be Inadequate for touring. Too difficult to charge at campsites and anyway evs are not very reliable and the batteries won’t last very long 😀
oh ok, so not much reasoning then 🙄

I’d imagine charging on route would be improved in a camper anyway, just nip in the back for a nap 😄

·
Registered
748 Posts
This looks absolutely the business. Not cheap at €200k though...

·
Registered
VW eGolf
316 Posts
Lots more scope now with the EMP2 vans (that's Citroen Dispatch, Peugeot Expert, Vauxhall Vivaro, Toyota Proace) having electric versions either out already or very soon.

Not quite as many camper options as the VW vans but there are already things like pop top roofs and furniture ready to go. Up to 75kWh battery and 100kW charging would make long trips a lot easier than a env200.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I really want a VW Buzz/ID7 as a camper. Suspect that'll be a very long wait and never cheap.

If the traction battery is big enough is there any good reason campers of the future can't use a heat pump (or even just a big standard PTC heater) for heating the living area. In fact, would it even need a leisure battery? A couple of EVs already have a normal plug socket in them and plenty have heat pumps. Would make DIY retrofit option even more out of reach though.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,568 Posts
i think it will be sometime before campsites have rapid chargers installed. Most of them are in rural locations where the supply is possibly not upto providing 50-100kw.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,568 Posts
It would not be good being in the Scottish Highlands, with only 50miles range and the nearest charger is 75, that's if its working. Many campsite chargers are 3 or 7kw so you'd have a long stay to get a decent charge.
Personally, I would install a 3kw generator and carry enough diesel to run it for 20hours flat out just to avoid the major hassle of being electrically embarrassed. Nothing like peace of mind.

·
Registered
901 Posts
i think it will be sometime before campsites have rapid chargers installed. Most of them are in rural locations where the supply is possibly not upto providing 50-100kw.
I wouldn't say that rapid charging is essential. I've been to/past campsites with 7kW posts. But the principle still stands that many campsites aren't well placed to have robust charging for multiple vehicles.

while things like lights, pumps and accessory power run off 12v then yes.
Guess it depends on what combination of inverters and DC-DC converters you want. Agree that it's worthwhile keeping low voltage for most applications within the van for efficiency, but it feels counterintuitive to say we need a leisure battery as well as the van's 12V battery and a huge high voltage battery. I've seen folk use Li ion leisure batteries with a decent inverter to be able to use an induction hob and a 13A socket for laptop charging, for example. Does that inverter have to use a leisure battery? Is there a good reason it can't come from the traction battery and have one less step with associated losses in conversion?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
i think it will be sometime before campsites have rapid chargers installed. Most of them are in rural locations where the supply is possibly not up to providing 50-100kw.
Rapid chargers are, surely, only needed for the journey to the campsite. What the campsite will need to do is to ensure that their supply is up to supplying 16A to each hook-up point all at the same time. With a bit of charging control, the traction battery can be charged using that part of the 16A supply to the van which is not needed for domestic use.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,568 Posts
You are wrong to think there are no losses. The DC-DC converter which provides 12v charging, is not 100% efficient.
You'll need leisure batteries AND they can only be charged when plugged into the usual campsite 16a socket.
I.E they can't be charged as they would when driving from an ICE engines alternator and not from the Li-ion batteries either as you would reduce the range and have a longer wait for charging them.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,952 Posts
Plenty of campsites in France that have had the foresight to have Tesla destination chargers installed.

I stayed in a place near Tarragona last year that had destination chargers as well.

You don't need rapid charging if you're staying at a campsite for the weekend.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,929 Posts
The new Mercedes van looks like a winner for camping. If you can afford it!

We looked into getting our daughter's type 2 converted a year ago. It'd be cheaper to buy an eNV200 bus an convert it ourselves.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,568 Posts
Rapid chargers are, surely, only needed for the journey to the campsite. What the campsite will need to do is to ensure that their supply is up to supplying 16A to each hook-up point all at the same time. With a bit of charging control, the traction battery can be charged using that part of the 16A supply to the van which is not needed for domestic use.
You could use a granny charger plugged into one of your on board 13a sockets and hope the site's power outlet will cope. Most of them have 10a mcbs so unless upgraded by the site for EV charging use, you'd still need a dedicated EV charge point. Also don't forget that the leisure battery charger also needs some of that 10amps to charge the battery and power the 12v appliances.
I'm sure that as EV campers become widespread, sites will install the appropriate charging points but not anytime soon, especially as they have suffered a big drop in income.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts