Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have family coming in October, and we are thinking of taking the ferry to Ireland for a week or so. Sadly, neither of my EV's can fit 6 (4 adults + 2 children) so I will likely have to hire something for the week. Are there any EV-rental companies that rent something big enough to fit 4 adults and 2 kids (with luggage) at a non-eye-watering price? Or should I just go ahead and book a diesel people carrier...

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have family coming in October, and we are thinking of taking the ferry to Ireland for a week or so. Sadly, neither of my EV's can fit 6 (4 adults + 2 children) so I will likely have to hire something for the week. Are there any EV-rental companies that rent something big enough to fit 4 adults and 2 kids (with luggage) at a non-eye-watering price? Or should I just go ahead and book a diesel people carrier...
I think you.ve answered your own question....
Get a diesel people carrier, it's the best option for your needs.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about it, but since the Zoe can only charge at 22 kW I don't think it would be very suited to a 1,000-mile round-trip to Ireland...

I think you.ve answered your own question....
Get a diesel people carrier, it's the best option for your needs.
I guess I am just really hoping for an option I missed - I haven't bought petrol/diesel in a while now and I was really hoping to keep that track record! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
Kona64
1,649 Posts

goes without saying, but I will --- sit down before you see the prices

·
Registered
883 Posts
Seems like a normal car is about £100 a day mind for a 7 seat?

So it’s not that outrageous to pay £134 per day

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seems like a normal car is about £100 a day mind for a 7 seat?

So it’s not that outrageous to pay £134 per day
With insurance and VAT I was seeing just over £200/day, versus £60/day for a Seat Alhambra from Enterprise...

·
Registered
883 Posts
If that was plus vat and insurance then yes, just hire the diesel! You are unlikely to spend more than £100 a day on fuel

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
£200 a day isn’t bad. Pretty sure the Model S I had from enterprise was north of that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I thought about it, but since the Zoe can only charge at 22 kW I don't think it would be very suited to a 1,000-mile round-trip to Ireland...
It actually is very well suited. 99% of AC chargers in Ireland are 22 kW. And there is plenty of them. And since they are no more free to use you can access them.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It actually is very well suited. 99% of AC chargers in Ireland are 22 kW. And there is plenty of them. And since they are no more free to use you can access them.
Hmmm... It would certainly save money, even with having to pay for a second car on the Ferry. The only annoying bit would be home (Peterborough) to Holyhead, but I could just leave early that morning in the Zoe by myself and meet the rest of the family at the ferry with a full charge....

How well is Ireland served by CCS rapid chargers? If we could keep the ID.4 topped up with a few rapid charges, and charge the Zoe overnight at hotels, that might actually work.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmm... It would certainly save money, even with having to pay for a second car on the Ferry. The only annoying bit would be home (Peterborough) to Holyhead, but I could just leave early that morning in the Zoe by myself and meet the rest of the family at the ferry with a full charge....

How well is Ireland served by CCS rapid chargers? If we could keep the ID.4 topped up with a few rapid charges, and charge the Zoe overnight at hotels, that might actually work.
Sadly I just spoke with the wife and she flat-out refuses to drive in a foreign country, so I guess that plan is dead.... :ROFLMAO: Back to trying to convince her we can afford the model X over the diesel mpv!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,887 Posts
Sadly I just spoke with the wife and she flat-out refuses to drive in a foreign country, so I guess that plan is dead.... :ROFLMAO: Back to trying to convince her we can afford the model X over the diesel mpv!
One minor issue with the Model X is, if you actually put 6 people in it, there isn't much room for luggage. Certainly not for 6 people.

So it's the diesel van for you.

Ireland is a 'foreign country' now?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One minor issue with the Model X is, if you actually put 6 people in it, there isn't much room for luggage. Certainly not for 6 people.

So it's the diesel van for you.

Ireland is a 'foreign country' now?
Well, technically England is too (we're American, been living in the UK for 3.5 years now)... :ROFLMAO: My wife is a very competent driver, but she is not a very confident driver - she's terrified of the narrow Irish roads (even though objectively I'm sure they are the same as the country roads we live around...)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts