Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I am thinking buying an EV, but just looking for some advice. are there enough charge points in Scotland? also what do people prefer to use, ultra, fast, or slow? is there a big difference between them all? what are the preferred charging Brands, are BP the best?

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Hi there, I am thinking buying an EV, but just looking for some advice. are there enough charge points in Scotland? also what do people prefer to use, ultra, fast, or slow? is there a big difference between them all? what are the preferred charging Brands, are BP the best?
Scotland overall has excellent provision of public charge points but there are a few regional issues. Where are you based, will you charge from home, what EV will you purchase, where are your likely journeys to?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scotland overall has excellent provision of public charge points but there are a few regional issues. Where are you based, will you charge from home, what EV will you purchase, where are your likely journeys to?
Thanks for the reply. I live in Dunkeld, and I will be charging from home, But I am in sales and will be on the road a lot covering all of Scotland, and staying away few nights a week. Do most hotels have charge points? is there a big difference between them all or are they all quite standard?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I live in Dunkeld, and I will be charging from home, But I am in sales and will be on the road a lot covering all of Scotland, and staying away few nights a week. Do most hotels have charge points? is there a big difference between them all or are they all quite standard?
sorry also where are the regional issues?

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,528 Posts
Use Zap-Map and Plug Share to locate charging points. You’re going to need an EV with a long range for that use case. How many miles do you do and what’s your budget?

Reactions: Frankiev

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
So you will be covering all of Scotland?

M74 corridor has poor coverage given high demand

West Edinburgh again given high demand but the Council has projects to address.

A lot depends on the EV you select. If you go for a Korean 64kWhr dcar, you have a huge onboard range and possibility of charging at close to 50kW, there are very few rapids in Scotland rated at greater tah 50kW.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you will be covering all of Scotland?

M74 corridor has poor coverage given high demand

West Edinburgh again given high demand but the Council has projects to address.

A lot depends on the EV you select. If you go for a Korean 64kWhr dcar, you have a huge onboard range and possibility of charging at close to 50kW, there are very few rapids in Scotland rated at greater tah 50kW.
Thanks that is great info. yes the all of Scotland so pretty hefty area, I guess i will have to go for one with the biggest range. do you know if there are any plans to increase the rapid charges, what stands in the way of having more Rapids than fasts? sorry for these basic questions i am very new to the EV game.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Use Zap-Map and Plug Share to locate charging points. You’re going to need an EV with a long range for that use case. How many miles do you do and what’s your budget?
Thanks for the reply, I will be doing around 30-40k a year maybe more, my budget will be £25,000-£30,000. is it worth getting a subscription card for a big brand like BT Pulse?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
East Lothian here comprising of hubs, some huge, and smaller sites, all new and absolutely brilliant. Look for Osprey chargers at hotels. Sadly, Edinburgh is an absolute joke for chargers and I avoid it at all costs these days.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
East Lothian here comprising of hubs, some huge, and smaller sites, all new and absolutely brilliant. Look for Osprey chargers at hotels. Sadly, Edinburgh is an absolute joke for chargers and I avoid it at all costs these days.
Great, thanks for the reply! I have read BP Pulse are the market leaders. have you found their charging points are superior to other points?

·
3,528 Posts
Thanks that is great info. yes the all of Scotland so pretty hefty area, I guess i will have to go for one with the biggest range. do you know if there are any plans to increase the rapid charges, what stands in the way of having more Rapids than fasts? sorry for these basic questions i am very new to the EV game.
You need to base your decision on whether to get an EV on the current charging situation. Otherwise you’re going to spend months and maybe even years being very frustrated.
Thanks for the reply, I will be doing around 30-40k a year maybe more, my budget will be £25,000-£30,000. is it worth getting a subscription card for a big brand like BT Pulse?
It’s going to be tight getting a long range EV with that budget. You may need to stretch to £30-35k if you want a new vehicle. A Kona, e-Niro or ID.3 maybe.

What’s potentially the longest distance you would do in a day?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You need to base your decision on whether to get an EV on the current charging situation. Otherwise you’re going to spend months and maybe even years being very frustrated.

It’s going to be tight getting a long range EV with that budget. You may need to stretch to £30-35k. A Kona, e-Niro or ID.3 maybe.
Okay, will look to stretch a bit then! what are seen to be the best car manufactures for EVs out there at the moment?

·
3,528 Posts
Okay, will look to stretch a bit then! what are seen to be the best car manufactures for EVs out there at the moment?
Depends who you ask!

Have a look at EV Database which lists most of the EVs currently available and their ranges.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

It’s going to be tight getting a long range EV with that budget. You may need to stretch to £30-35k if you want a new vehicle. A Kona, e-Niro or ID.3 maybe.

What’s potentially the longest distance you would do in a day?
Do you feel frustrated as an owner yourself? really appreciating this feedback, i am reading all the time that companies are f=planning to increase coverage of charging points, would more ultra charge points help the frustration? are there plenty of points in garden centers hotels supermarkets etc?? where would you like to see more? sorry again for question overload!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Depends who you ask!

Have a look at EV Database which lists most of the EVs currently available and their ranges.

Great thank you!

·
3,528 Posts
Do you feel frustrated as an owner yourself? really appreciating this feedback, i am reading all the time that companies are f=planning to increase coverage of charging points, would more ultra charge points help the frustration? are there plenty of points in garden centers hotels supermarkets etc?? where would you like to see more? sorry again for question overload!
I live in London and have no off street parking so that’s been a challenge. Things have steadily improved over the last 2 years and I now have a public charging post just across the road! That progress has not been the case everywhere though.

This time last year I did the North Coast 500 in a Tesla Model S. It wasn’t always plain sailing even in a long range EV like that. A few broken chargers meant I had to go back to a previous one. Arrived at one with only 15 miles to spare. Fortunately it was working! Things are improving, but slower in some places than others.

Try looking at a typical week. Imagine you have a 200 mile range EV and leave home with 100% charge. How many days a week will you have to charge away from home?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,504 Posts
You'll need a chargeplacescotland card to use the many free (& not free) charging points. Its £20 for the rfid card per annum. I'm awaiting delivery of a Lead E+ and have just received the card through the post this morning, 3days after i paid online for it. I live in NE England but need to travel to Argyll regularly when lockdown ends and was reassured to find just how good the coverage is.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Scottish Borders is well covered with a rapid in each main town, and in the last 14 months of MG ZS EV use I have rarely been let down by the ChargePlace Scotland network. What is your maximum milage during a working day?

If you use some hotel booking sites (eg booking.com) you can filter hotels that have EV charging, usually a type 2 7kW socket enabling to fully charge overnight.

Its worth checking out the Osprey, InstaVolt and BP Pulse web site maps for chargers.

Eventually the rapid charger locations and hotels with EV charging will become more familiar on your daily routes and it will become easier. Certainly the number of charge points are increasing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I live in London and have no off street parking so that’s been a challenge. Things have steadily improved over the last 2 years and I now have a public charging post just across the road! That progress has not been the case everywhere though.

This time last year I did the North Coast 500 in a Tesla Model S. It wasn’t always plain sailing even in a long range EV like that. A few broken chargers meant I had to go back to a previous one. Arrived at one with only 15 miles to spare. Fortunately it was working! Things are improving, but slower in some places than others.

Try looking at a typical week. Imagine you have a 200 mile range EV and leave home with 100% charge. How many days a week will you have to charge away from home?
i quite often do 200 + miles a day. Also in sales i don't want to be parked up charging a great deal. so if possible i'd be looking for ultra points, but a someone in this thread said there aren't a great deal of ultras out there. hopefully that will change in the next few years. Because surely the demand for them must be really high compare to fast and slow?
bet the north coast 500 was great though!!

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,504 Posts
The rapid chargers (chademo or ccs) should be used sparingly as they are not good for battery life is used all the time.
My planis too trickle charge overnight and only use a rapid charger if I must, otherwise use a fast one. (The Leaf does not support fast charging as it's built in charger is 6.6kw so even if plugged into a 22kw charge point, it still charges are 6.6kw. It does support rapid charging via chademo.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts